MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Firstly congrats on your acceptances!!!

Just my two cents here

1- it seems from what you've said Cornell's program/coursework is more favorable too you than Columbia; as well as building the skills you're looking for

2- having a large cohort of students can be both negative and positive. The large amount of students in the HMP department will affect your time with professors and it's nearly impossible to meet everyone. Coming from a large Undergrad vs Small Grad program @ UMich ---I've personally preferred the intimacy of smaller class groups. You get to meet everyone and really build a valuable relationship with your classmates and professors

This just becomes a personal preference as well; teaching styles in the classrooms will differ from larger to small. Just something else to keep into consideration.

3- I wouldn't downplay Cornell's "name status" it's a very well known name across the nation

4-the practicum is only over the summer, so you won't get the full-time work experience "requirement" that some industries may want; if I understood what you were saying correctly. Most jobs that require work experience in the descriptions will say 2+ years for ex, (even if it's 1 yr work experience lol no summer practicum will cover it) this is from what I've seen while Job hunting with 1 MS. You will most likely begin at entry-level

You're putting time and money; schools an investment I'm starting to be more concerned about the program structure, and what the MPH can do for me as a student and how well the school will prepare me for my future endeavors

Best of luck and congrats again! You'll make the right decision

THANK YOU OrchidMPH for your thoughtful response! You are totally right about the class size and I didn't realize that there's a chace I won't be able to socialize with every student in the program, as well as having a limited environment to communicating with professors at Columbia!

Thanks again, and I with you best of luck on your endeavor as well! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After many long weeks of stalling... I have officially declined GWU MPH Health Policy
I hope my seat will go to someone who really wants to attend :)

So, what ended up helping you make the final choice? For me it was really hard to give up the possible practicums, but I think the opportunity to dually concentrate on Global Health and MCH set it for me.

has anyone heard back from hopkins environmental health department? when i initially submitted my application to one of their MSPH program, they gave me an admissions decision timeline of 2-6 weeks. Its been 10 weeks. I emailed the coordinator who said they were having some restructuring issues within the department and just havent released any decisions yet but with other schools requiring deposits/commitments, its kind of putting me in a tough spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what ended up helping you make the final choice? For me it was really hard to give up the possible practicums, but I think the opportunity to dually concentrate on Global Health and MCH set it for me.

To be honest it was a very easy decision to make; initially I wanted the Public Health Management ---which is what I initially applied for but had to switch to health policy because it was the one concentration that required 10+ years of experience. I am looking for the management component; this would affect my research opportunities, practicum and overall my entire future endeavors

Also, I'd like to stay in Chicago and continue networking in the public health arena here! Doesn't seem like many GWU are located in this area, at least from what I have seen. It's mainly UMich & UIC students here

That makes sense. And you had made up your mind way before you actually declined, right?

Well, I'll see you there. We'll have to all get together and a HH or something. I haven't spent any serious time in Illinois in a while, and in the city in a very long time.

That makes sense. And you had made up your mind way before you actually declined, right?

Well, I'll see you there. We'll have to all get together and a HH or something. I haven't spent any serious time in Illinois in a while, and in the city in a very long time.

I was 90% sure I was going to decline :)
Yes we should once we all make our decisions final --we've all practically become family

I'm still waiting for UIC to get back to me; so it was a risky decision but I thought about it. Even if I didn't get into a program I wanted this year I didn't want to start one @ GWU just because I have nothing else to do

I'm hoping for some good news this week since 4/15 has past

Yes.. I have received a 25% scholarship from them. Have you applied to Brown?
Yes. Brown was my top choice and I was happy I got in. But sadly they did not give me any financial aid this time...:sick:

Just heard back from USF. I got in there, but they are a week late, and a couple dollars short. My beach will be on the lake, not the ocean.

Reactions: 1 users
Just rejected UCLA's offer of admission + funding, so if you're on the wait list or hoping for $$, good luck!

Yes. Brown was my top choice and I was happy I got in. But sadly they did not give me any financial aid this time...:sick:
oh! Does that mean you will be joining Brown or are you leaning towards a less expensive school?

Any news for anyone waiting for UIC HPA?

Or... the HMP waitlisted peeps @ Columbia?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Orchidmph you still haven't heard anything back through emails and calls?

All I got from UIC was I'm being reviewed and no additional material is needed ---granted it's only been 1 month & 2 weeks tomorrow since they began reviewing my app :-/ haven't seen much of anyone posting about UIC HPA on here so I'm not sure from the offices or this thread if any thing is happening

And I'm wait listed at Columbia; I've had better clarification from Columbia than UIC. But I was curious if there was a move in the waitlist since its been a little over a week since the 4/15 deadline

Feels like I'm starting at square 1 after declining all my other acceptances

All I got from UIC was I'm being reviewed and no additional material is needed ---granted it's only been 1 month & 2 weeks tomorrow since they began reviewing my app :-/ haven't seen much of anyone posting about UIC HPA on here so I'm not sure from the offices or this thread if any thing is happening

And I'm wait listed at Columbia; I've had better clarification from Columbia than UIC. But I was curious if there was a move in the waitlist since its been a little over a week since the 4/15 deadline

Feels like I'm starting at square 1 after declining all my other acceptances

Best of luck! Hope to see you on campus this Fall!

Any news for anyone waiting for UIC HPA?

Or... the HMP waitlisted peeps @ Columbia?
I just called columbia for epi wait-list and they said they will probably take no students from the wait-list. Too many people accepted. You should just call the HMP and see...

I just called columbia for epi wait-list and they said they will probably take no students from the wait-list. Too many people accepted. You should just call the HMP and see...

HMP has 350 seats so I'm hopeful; but I currently don't want too bug them anymore than I have lol so I was wondering if anyone else got different or new input than myself

I just called Mailman :/ The person told me they haven't heard anything from the department for the MHA program yet. I'm losing hope :(

Just got accepted to UIC HPA thank you Lord!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats it's a good day

It's definitely going to be UIC for me unless I'm off the waitlist @ mailman

Same here...unless I hear back from San Diego State soon, I'll be enrolling.

Woo! Just accepted my offer at UCLA and turned down the last of my schools. I had a 25k merit scholarship to Columbia so I hope someone else gets a very great financial update soon! Happy Friday to everyone here :)

Hi . I am an international student . I received admits from Dartmouth, UCLA, UIC and UMN -TC. I turned down dartmouth and uic. Everyone seems to think that UCLA would be a better option, what with its international ranking and all. The programs at UmN tc and ucla are more or less similar. And ranks 8 and 10 are not significant enough to make a choice i guess. Everyone cites the harsh winter of minnesota as a discouraging factor. But otherwise I don't see any harm in going there. Could you tell me why I should choose ucla over umn , if at all. I have been admitted to the epidemiology program at both schools. Ive been told that assistantships are generally offered in the second year at ucla. I like the internship program at ucla. As an international student im worried about my career prospects. Ive been told that minnesota is a healthcare hub plus it is affiliated to the mayo clinic and Mnpls is home to 18 fortune 500 companies so all in all it may be better than ucla. Im not sure about any of this. I would love to know about your take on this. I have been to california once and like most tourists i loved it . I reside in mumbai, india and pyschologically being close to the ocean would make me happy :p
Thank you.

Hi....I am an international student.....I just got admit from UAB for MPH(epi)
Any other international student attending this school in Fall 2015...plz reply

Hi . I am an international student . I received admits from Dartmouth, UCLA, UIC and UMN -TC. I turned down dartmouth and uic. Everyone seems to think that UCLA would be a better option, what with its international ranking and all. The programs at UmN tc and ucla are more or less similar. And ranks 8 and 10 are not significant enough to make a choice i guess. Everyone cites the harsh winter of minnesota as a discouraging factor. But otherwise I don't see any harm in going there. Could you tell me why I should choose ucla over umn , if at all. I have been admitted to the epidemiology program at both schools. Ive been told that assistantships are generally offered in the second year at ucla. I like the internship program at ucla. As an international student im worried about my career prospects. Ive been told that minnesota is a healthcare hub plus it is affiliated to the mayo clinic and Mnpls is home to 18 fortune 500 companies so all in all it may be better than ucla. Im not sure about any of this. I would love to know about your take on this. I have been to california once and like most tourists i loved it . I reside in mumbai, india and pyschologically being close to the ocean would make me happy :p
Thank you.

Hi! Unfortunately, I really don't know anything about those specific programs - I don't know much about the epi program at UCLA, I don't know much at UMN at all (I've never even been to Minnesota!), and I'm not an international student. :( I wish I had some better advice, but all I can say is maybe it would be helpful to try getting in contact with international students in the epi program at each school, and seeing what their take on everything is? They might have more insight into the opportunities available at each school for international students and how they feel each school has helped them in and out of the classroom. In general, I would say that maybe look at the financial aspects, the curriculum, and the internships at each to compare the opportunities available to you, as well as considering where you might want to live after school. As far as California goes, I'm biased since I've lived in CA my whole life, but I'm definitely very happy here. UCLA is fairly close to the beach and is a gorgeous campus, as well!

If anyone is wondering about Temple University's MPH program I talked with an advisor today. Although the program isn't ranked they are really interested in their students' success.

Here are a few things I liked:

-If you find classes in other departments (college of medicine, dentistry, etc.) that you want to take they will work to get you into that course.
-They are very proactive about mapping your degree and tailoring your coursework according to your career goals.
-You are able to change your MPH concentration, the advisor mentioned switching from Epi to Applied Biostats.
-If your ultimate goal is a PhD they will work with you to make you more competitive and guide you toward your goal.
-They will work with you if you experience issues with a class/instructor/personal life and are interested in making sure you graduate on time, with a strong GPA and without spending more money than you have to.
-They offer teaching and research assistantships to masters candidates. These typically include tuition remission (varying amount), health insurance and a modest paycheck.

Accepted to Boston University's MPH program in Epidemiology + Biostatistics AND Mercer University's General MPH program in Atlanta, GA. I'm waiting to see what I will receive in need based assistance in total but not sure what to do.

If I stay in Boston -> I already have a great job, already have a decent place to live, would be super easy to do my practicum project through work. Down side is it's expensive here, sort of unmotivated to venture out and explore the city anymore and difficult to make deep connections with people.
If I move to Atlanta -> I would have a lower cost of living, could get plugged into the CDC for work, being local may benefit my future academic goals for continuing my education, looking forward to a new change of pace and different scenery.

Seemingly at the crossroads of my life. Not from Boston but have been here long enough, have never been to Atlanta but curious about the city and hoping for a friendlier, better place overall to settle down.

Any suggestions...thoughts...ideas?

Accepted to Boston University's MPH program in Epidemiology + Biostatistics AND Mercer University's General MPH program in Atlanta, GA. I'm waiting to see what I will receive in need based assistance in total but not sure what to do.

If I stay in Boston -> I already have a great job, already have a decent place to live, would be super easy to do my practicum project through work. Down side is it's expensive here, sort of unmotivated to venture out and explore the city anymore and difficult to make deep connections with people.
If I move to Atlanta -> I would have a lower cost of living, could get plugged into the CDC for work, being local may benefit my future academic goals for continuing my education, looking forward to a new change of pace and different scenery.

Seemingly at the crossroads of my life. Not from Boston but have been here long enough, have never been to Atlanta but curious about the city and hoping for a friendlier, better place overall to settle down.

Any suggestions...thoughts...ideas?

I was accepted at Mercer too but elected not to attend. I found the following to be advantageous:
- Lower cost of living; I was interested in the Macon campus but you can live really affordably around Atlanta too. Back in the day I used to live in the Covington/Conyers area and commute to all of the big malls in the area and into the heart of Atlanta. If you choose the right area you can find something affordable and still commute to class (traffic can be extremely brutal). At one point I was renting a 2 bedroom 2 bath on an acre with a private dock- $525 (back in '05-'06)

-Ability to take classes elsewhere; I was told that I could take classes at other universities or departments and they would apply toward your MPH.

-The faculty and staff seem to be very open to new ideas and value their student's opinions (at least on the Macon campus).

-Mercer really emphasizes community service and volunteer work. It also seemed like you had lots of opportunities to bond with your peers due to the close knit nature of the program (Macon at least).

-Graduates and current students were doing work with the CDC.

The reasons I elected not to attend:
-I was accepted to an instate school that was less expensive, had the concentration I wanted and was my UG school.

-I was a little leery of getting a general MPH.

I hope this info doesn't make things worse, lol.

Hi....I am an international student.....I just got admit from UAB for MPH(epi)
Any other international student attending this school in Fall 2015...plz reply
Hi,
I am an international student from India. I will be attending UAB as well this fall. Joining MPH and my concentration is Health care organization. I have started a conversation with you, if you wish we can discuss our plans through mail.

Last edited:
Hey . I reside in India and am probably going to UCLA for MPH - epidemiology fall 2015. I say 'probably' because I haven't cancelled my UMN TC admit . But if there's anyone here going to either of the schools i'd love to get in touch.

Anyone hear back about the Columbia waitlist in the last couple of days?

Have you tried calling them?
Try speaking with Rebecca, Betsey or Dr. Korevec

Is it possible to call them and found out ahead of an email? I never considered it but I might do that on Monday.

Is there anyone here who applied after the awards/scholarship deadlines and still receive scholarships or other awards??
I just got accepted into univer. of florida and univ. of cincinnati...would it be rude to ask if there's any scholarship/assistantship/fellowships??

Thanks.

Is there anyone here who applied after the awards/scholarship deadlines and still receive scholarships or other awards??
I just got accepted into univer. of florida and univ. of cincinnati...would it be rude to ask if there's any scholarship/assistantship/fellowships??

Thanks.

No. I asked for more money from BU and got a raise in my award. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Columbia waitlist...I tried calling roughly ten times over the last week and was seriously given the run around and transferred to a phone that was never answered, when the main Epi office managed to even take my call. So I emailed...and many days later got a vague response that no, they do not have any updates for waitlisted applicants. They are "hoping" to let people know in a couple weeks.

About the Columbia waitlist...I tried calling roughly ten times over the last week and was seriously given the run around and transferred to a phone that was never answered, when the main Epi office managed to even take my call. So I emailed...and many days later got a vague response that no, they do not have any updates for waitlisted applicants. They are "hoping" to let people know in a couple weeks.

uggghhh! so annoying! I just got done emailing Rebecca for the HPM.