MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@IntriguedStudent Emory and BU are my top two out of the four. I was set on Emory because of the ranking (its highest out of the 4 I mentioned) but then when I was accepted into BU, I thought about how great the city is and began to wonder if I would miss out by not going there. Just trying to find the place where I have access to great opportunities that actually happen... thanks for the reply!

@hp_spinks glad I'm not the only one! haha...hopefully we find our place soon :)

Members don't see this ad.

@IntriguedStudent Emory and BU are my top two out of the four. I was set on Emory because of the ranking (its highest out of the 4 I mentioned) but then when I was accepted into BU, I thought about how great the city is and began to wonder if I would miss out by not going there. Just trying to find the place where I have access to great opportunities that actually happen... thanks for the reply!

@hp_spinks glad I'm not the only one! haha...hopefully we find our place soon :)
So have u decided ? I didnt even apply to emory plainly because i cannot even stand Mumbai's heat :p and i love the cold . Bt umn tc is too cold so ppl keep telling me dt i dnt need to pull off a stunt. And that's wht i think abt whn i think abt ucla, abt hw mch i like LA etc . I think i will just close my eyes and pick one . Apparently umn tc has consistently ranked high, higher than wat it is right nw so im nt ready to give it up just yet :(

Well both Emory and BU are excellent schools. I currently live in Atlanta, and there are plenty of public health opportunities here. In fact, it's often referred to as the public health capital of the world due to having so many major public health agencies here (CDC, American Cancer Society, Carter Center, tons of HIV/AIDS organizations, and numerous others). I've never been to Boston, but I've heard they have some great opportunities there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
@hp_spinks no I haven't it's so hard! I wish I could have a miraculous epiphany haha. I actually really like hot weather, I understand about ranking... Emory ranks higher than BU in public health as well. I can't seem to give either one up yet either.

@IntriguedStudent yeah they both really seem great and that's why I'm so indecisive! I do live much closer to Emory so the transition would be easier, and it is literally across the CDC, but Boston seems like it has more recognition internationally, and I want to study global health and work in a global organization like WHO

Reactions: 1 user
I have already applied for Fall 2014 and will be attending Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine; based in their Global Health Systems and Development Department. After doing an insane amount of research, I can suggest that you definitely look at Emory's Rollin School of Public Health, their BSHE (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education) department is one of the best in the nation, as is UNC's Gilling's Health Behavior program. Not as internationally known, USC has a Global Health Leadership program that might be of interest to you as well.

I am seriously considering applying to Tulane for Fall 2016. How are you liking the program so far?

Never mind about that. I have already spoken to people about Tulane.

Another for coordinated dietetics programs here! I'm still waiting to hear back so why not freak out in company, right?

Undergrad School: Cornell
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Major/Minor: Chemistry, Minor in Nutrition

GRE: V: 164 (93%) Q: 159 (74%) W: 4

Experience/Research:
4 years working as a lab assistant in a genetics lab (no research of my own though)
3 months living in Tanzania working for a NGO
A few leadership roles in clubs, member of a service fellowship... just a lot of volunteer stuff in general actually
Summer interning at a PH nonprofit and I've been doing web-based research for them every few months since
Months shadowing two dieticians and my county's WIC program (I also did a small project with them)
I also work full-time at a pharmacy

Applied: UNC Chapel Hill - MPH/RD (12/8), Johns Hopkins - MSPH/RD (sent for review 1/21), Pitt -MS/RD (1/29), GSU- MS/RD (1/13), UTSW -MS/RD (2/1)

UNC is my top choice :)

I feel very nervous because, while I have a lot of different experience, not much of it is in nutrition. There's an unfortunate lack of opportunities in my area (I'm from a really rural part of PA) so I did what I could, but I'm afraid that won't be enough.

Also applied for dietetics! A few similar schools to yours. Where did you end up choosin? :) Based on your experiences and everything I'm sure you got into multiple!

Got accepted into the MPH-EH program @ University of Illinois Springfield .

Hi All! I got into to both GWU & UPenn both for the Global Health track. Need help making a decision. I will be taking out loans with either school. Which school would be the best for global health, working with international organizations?

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Colorado? Also, does anyone know the approximate turnaround time for Drexel?

Am I the only one who got an email from sophas today saying my application was mailed? Lol the last app I sent was in November and I've heard from all schools.

Yes, I got an e-mail from SOPHAS too. I'm not sure what that was all about since I have heard from all the schools I applied to as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that email too. I think it's because the SOPHAS application cycle officially ends in August.. So maybe it's just a routine procedure to send schools a hard copy for their records.

Thanks for the response @cyd85 . I suppose I should be hearing back very soon. Are you planning to attend there?

Also, I'm declining my offer from Colorado. Finally heard back from them!

Thanks for the response @cyd85 . I suppose I should be hearing back very soon. Are you planning to attend there?

Also, I'm declining my offer from Colorado. Finally heard back from them!

yes I'm going to Drexel, hope to see you there!

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some insight for the experience requirement listed on the JHSPH MPH program website. Have any of you been accepted with your work experience DURING/a year after college? I have some extensive public/international health experience, but I'm graduations with a BS and BA this August.

Also, I'm also registered to take some online classes as a special/non-matriculate student at JHU.

With that said, I don't have the "minimum two years post-bacc work experience", but do have other work and experiences during college that I think would be appreciated (went to Ghana last summer even during the Ebola outbreak to work on preventative outreach efforts, for example).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!

Hey everyone, I wanted to get some insight for the experience requirement listed on the JHSPH MPH program website. Have any of you been accepted with your work experience DURING/a year after college? I have some extensive public/international health experience, but I'm graduations with a BS and BA this August.

Also, I'm also registered to take some online classes as a special/non-matriculate student at JHU.

With that said, I don't have the "minimum two years post-bacc work experience", but do have other work and experiences during college that I think would be appreciated (went to Ghana last summer even during the Ebola outbreak to work on preventative outreach efforts, for example).

Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!

Your best bet would be to give the admissions department a call to talk about your application for the program; maybe your work experience etc. was doing something awesome enough for them to say apply anyways.

Hi everyone! Found this board a little late in the game..but if anyone else is going or been to USF I'd love to hear from you. I'm not from Florida and will be moving there in a few weeks. I deferred UF until Fall 2016 and am trying to move to the epi department at USF.
Undergrad School: University of North Carolina Wilmington
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Biology/Psychology
GRE : Q 151, V 150, W 3.0
Applied (SOPHAS submitted 4/21/15):UF (MPH- Epi), USF (MPH- Global Health)
Accepted: UF, USF

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-18_18-14-23.png
    upload_2015-7-18_18-14-23.png
    95 bytes · Views: 89
Hi everyone! Found this board a little late in the game..but if anyone else is going or been to USF I'd love to hear from you. I'm not from Florida and will be moving there in a few weeks. I deferred UF until Fall 2016 and am trying to move to the epi department at USF.
Undergrad School: University of North Carolina Wilmington
Undergrad GPA:
Major/Minor: Biology/Psychology
GRE : Q 151, V 150, W 3.0
Applied (SOPHAS submitted 4/21/15):UF (MPH- Epi), USF (MPH- Global Health)
Accepted: UF, USF

Did my UG at USF, matriculating to the Epi/GCD MPH program in the fall. Hit me up via PM if you need info/have questions.

Undergrad School: USC
Undergrad GPA: 3.52(cumulative) 3.35(university)
Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science
GRE: 154V 158Q 4AWA
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- Military veteran
Applied: USC (MHA)
Accepted: USC (MHA)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Heard back from USF today:

"We are happy to inform you that the department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics (EPB) review committee has recommended you for acceptance into the U.S.F. College of Public Health graduate program."

Says I have to wait for official acceptance from the Office of Grad Studies (up to 3 weeks) and I have to wait for a decision from the Communicable Disease department too. So I'm going to take this as an acceptance to the epi. concentration at the very least. Unless Temple offers me an assistantship (I applied and will find out in May) USF is what I'm shooting for.

Super excited. Hope everyone starts hearing back now soon!

Hi! Late congrats on your acceptance to USF! I have been searching threads for info, and haven't seen too much info on USF's programs. I am extremely interested in the same program you are doing and would love to know what drew you to USF. I know you have probably only been in classes for a few weeks, but would love any feedback on your experience thus far and if it seems like there are good opportunities in the Tampa area.

I just found out I got accepted to Johns Hopkins!!! Super excited but now I'm really confused because I was already starting to picture myself at Emory since I thought I wouldn't get into JHU
Congratulations! I am in the process of applying to MSPH at JHU and was wondering what you stats where do you mind sharing?!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread. I'm applying to Columbia's MPH program, but I'm a little confused about what the "Certificates" are? Are we still getting a degree? It's a bit confusing. Does anyone who knows about the program mind explaining to me what that is?

Thank you so much.

Undergrad School: Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Undergrad GPA: 2.8
Major/Minor: Biochemistry, Concentration Molecular Biology
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE 153 V 150 Q 3.5 AW taken 6/14/2014. Taking again Nov 1st.
Experience/Research
4 months as a laboratory intern at a Gallo Winery in Napa.
1.5 years and running as a preclinical imaging lab manager at UCSF in the radiology and biomedical imaging department.
Got accepted to volunteer in India in public health and community medicine May 2015 through an SF-based NGO.

***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants. Judging by last year's thread, yes we are this obsessive and neurotic.***

Applied: Applying to Colorado State (Global Health), Boston University (Global Health), Vanderbilt (Global Health), Lund University in Sweden (MPH), and London School (MPH)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Anyone want to guess my odds as well (because of my low GPA)??

I'm studying biochemistry & my GPA is the same as yours - did you ever get in anywhere?!

Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread. I'm applying to Columbia's MPH program, but I'm a little confused about what the "Certificates" are? Are we still getting a degree? It's a bit confusing. Does anyone who knows about the program mind explaining to me what that is?

Thank you so much.

The certificates are like getting a minor in college (the best example i could come up with), or they are like subspecializations within your degree. I'd just call their admissions department to talk to someone about this.