MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email that my application was complete on January 6th.
Okay cool. Hopefully you're right and i'm next! lol

Members don't see this ad.

You guys! I just got into University of Washington Epi!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 12 users
Oh yay congrats! Is that the school you are leaning towards?

It definitely is! Looks like we'll have similar choices to make - Berkeley or UCLA are in both of our lists. Congratulations on your acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my official acceptance package from BU in the mail today with Merit scholarship!!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have advice on UT and all the different campuses? Is there a difference between them?
The Austin campus is super small. It takes up one floor of a building.

Reactions: 1 user
I did my informal interview for Columbia, and my interviewer said I should expect to hear back in about 3-4 weeks. Is that about the timeline people have been hearing/expecting? --> for management and policy that is!

I did my informal interview for Columbia, and my interviewer said I should expect to hear back in about 3-4 weeks. Is that about the timeline people have been hearing/expecting? --> for management and policy that is!
Yeah, my lady said it would be the middle of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my lady said it would be the middle of February.

nice! okay that's good to hear. I did apply right at the deadline on 1/15, so I wonder if that will affect when I ultimately hear back. I don't know if I can wait until March lol

nice! okay that's good to hear. I did apply right at the deadline on 1/15, so I wonder if that will affect when I ultimately hear back. I don't know if I can wait until March lol

Same here, they told me late Feb - early March. Although I didn't apply to policy. That's the standard answer they are giving everyone about columbia!

I feel like I've been waiting forever! what program did you apply too and when were you verified?

I was verified 1/6 I think! Or 1/7. I applied to epidemiology! I was under the impression I'd get some sort of email notification before the mail letter, so keep an eye out for the post mail :) good luck!

Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances and good luck , who are still waiting.

Hello, I am an International Student from India. I have been constantly following this thread but never posted. I am posting it now bcz I have received my first rejection (from the school which I have kept my first priority). This game of waiting is getting very frustrating.
Under Grad School : Medical School
Under Grad Major/ Minor: Medicine & Surgery
Under GPA : 3.16 (as calculated by WES )
GRE : V 148 Q 161 AWA 3.0 TOEFL R28 L28 S23 w26
Experience:
1 year compulsory rotatory Intership in a Tertiary care Hospital
>1 year Volunteer experience as Medical Counselor & Educator in a Non profit for PLHA & Hep B, Hep C Patients and LGBT
> 1.5 years Volunteer experience as Medical Educator in a Non Profit for Family Planning, Children, Adolescent girl and Maternal Counseling
Working Experience as a Doctor in Disaster Relief Camp
Holding various Leading Posts of College and University.
Interested In: Health Education & Behavior, Global Health, PLHA Health
Applied in :MPH in Johns Hopkins, Harvard, U Mich, Emory, U Washington, Yale , Boston, Tulane
Accepted in : Tulane, Boston ( with 15K Scholarship)
Waitlisted :
Rejected : U Washington ( got decision today :( )

I dont have any research experience because I am not much Interested in Pursuing Research. I dont know, whether this is having impact on my decisions along with my low scores.

Congrats to everyone who has received their acceptances and good luck , who are still waiting.

Hello, I am an International Student from India. I have been constantly following this thread but never posted. I am posting it now bcz I have received my first rejection (from the school which I have kept my first priority). This game of waiting is getting very frustrating.
Under Grad School : Medical School
Under Grad Major/ Minor: Medicine & Surgery
Under GPA : 3.16 (as calculated by WES )
GRE : V 148 Q 161 AWA 3.0 TOEFL R28 L28 S23 w26
Experience:
1 year compulsory rotatory Intership in a Tertiary care Hospital
>1 year Volunteer experience as Medical Counselor & Educator in a Non profit for PLHA & Hep B, Hep C Patients and LGBT
> 1.5 years Volunteer experience as Medical Educator in a Non Profit for Family Planning, Children, Adolescent girl and Maternal Counseling
Working Experience as a Doctor in Disaster Relief Camp
Holding various Leading Posts of College and University.
Interested In: Health Education & Behavior, Global Health, PLHA Health
Applied in :MPH in Johns Hopkins, Harvard, U Mich, Emory, U Washington, Yale , Boston, Tulane
Accepted in : Tulane, Boston ( with 15K Scholarship)
Waitlisted :
Rejected : U Washington ( got decision today :( )

I dont have any research experience because I am not much Interested in Pursuing Research. I dont know, whether this is having impact on my decisions along with my low scores.

You don't need any research experience to get into MPH programs. My guess is your rejection from UW stems from low GPA, low verbal score, and the fact that your an international student (UW is a public school and OOS schools tend to be less lenient than with in-state applicants). Obviously your grades and scores didn't keep you from getting into two top 15 schools, one with scholarship, so you are obviously doing well this application season.

I was verified 1/6 I think! Or 1/7. I applied to epidemiology! I was under the impression I'd get some sort of email notification before the mail letter, so keep an eye out for the post mail :) good luck!
I verified around the same time! But thank you and congratulations!! :)

Just found out I got into Emory! I'm pretty pleased to have UCLA and Emory because they're great choices, but the fact that MCH decisions for Berkeley have been rolling out this week and I haven't heard anything makes me feel pretty discouraged. I would be happy to go to UCLA (I'm a CA resident) but I was really hoping for Berkeley.

Reactions: 5 users
Two questions for everyone:

-Has anyone heard about interviews for Columbia HPM? I'm a bit discouraged since it's my first choice and I haven't heard anything (I was verified in early January). Do all candidates receive interviews?
-Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley HPM?

Thanks!

-Has anyone heard about interviews for Columbia HPM? I'm a bit discouraged since it's my first choice and I haven't heard anything (I was verified in early January). Do all candidates receive interviews?

Thanks!

I applied for Columbia HPM and got an interview but there are a bunch of people who haven't yet.
They might be going through all the applicants slowly. I didn't get an interview till a few weeks after a lot of people got theirs.

Congratulations! Have you posted your stats in this thread at all?

Thought I did but looks like I didn't. Here they are.

Undergrad School: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93/4.0
Major/Minor: Public Health/Biology
GRE Q 164 V 159 AWA 4.5
Experience/Research
:
- 1 year Epidemiology research with professor

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied:
JHU, Emory, UMich, Yale, Columbia, BU, Tulane, Minnesota
Accepted: Emory, UMich, Yale, BU, Tulane, Minnesota
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

Thought I did but looks like I didn't. Here they are.

Undergrad School: Large State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.93/4.0
Major/Minor: Public Health/Biology
GRE Q 164 V 159 AWA 4.5
Experience/Research
:
- 1 year Epidemiology research with professor

Interested in: Epidemiology
Applied:
JHU, Emory, UMich, Yale, Columbia, BU, Tulane, Minnesota
Accepted: Emory, UMich, Yale, BU, Tulane, Minnesota
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

What program did you get accepted to at Yale? And also, when were you verified? Thanks and congrats!

You don't need any research experience to get into MPH programs. My guess is your rejection from UW stems from low GPA, low verbal score, and the fact that your an international student (UW is a public school and OOS schools tend to be less lenient than with in-state applicants). Obviously your grades and scores didn't keep you from getting into two top 15 schools, one with scholarship, so you are obviously doing well this application season.
Thank you dear. Just waiting for the other results

Hey everyone!

Jumping on the bandwagon here. I am a third year medical student taking a year off for MPH before finishing MD.

Undergrad: Top 50
GPA: 3.4. It was 3.7 until the last semester when I had a family incident.

Medical school: Top 50
Passed USMLE Step I, will be taking Step 2 prior to MPH

Research - a couple publications. 1 first author basic science. 1 publication for the UN. 2 more pending in a surgical specialty this year. Poster presentation.
Research in high no-show rates at an urban clinic (no pubs)
Research in genetics (no pubs)
Worked in health and human rights my senior of college through a fellowship, advocating for a cause across two states. Organized several speeches/table talks across many campuses
Lots of teaching experience in undergrad
Gave a TED talk on international stuff (trying to be anonymous) I was working on. Created a student organization based on this international stuff. President of it.
Organized ethics conferences.
Invited speaker to speak at national conferences, etc.
Several scholarships/awards recognizing my international work.
President of research organization
Lots of volunteer work since I was 15; in med school - student run clinic, etc.
Global mission trips x 2
RA in medical school for a college program
Served on several educational committees in medical school
Working on LGBTQ stuff in medical school
Advisor for state governor

Applied:
BU, Emory, Midwest school, Harvard, Columbia, GW
Accepted: Emory, Midwest school, GW
Rejected:
Withdrew: BU

I am really hoping for Harvard or Columbia, mostly Harvard. Emory isn't a bad back-up, though.

Anyone else have thoughts on my app? Anyone hear from Columbia or Harvard?

Hey everyone!

Jumping on the bandwagon here. I am a third year medical student taking a year off for MPH before finishing MD.

Research - a couple publications. 1 first author basic science. 1 publication for the UN. 2 more pending in a surgical specialty this year. Poster presentation.
Worked in health and human rights my senior of college through a fellowship, advocating for a cause across two states. Organized several speeches/table talks across many campuses
Gave a TED talk on international stuff (trying to be anonymous) I was working on. Created a student organization based on this international stuff. President of it.
Global mission trips x 2

Applied:
Rejected:

I am really hoping for Harvard or Columbia, mostly Harvard. Emory isn't a bad back-up, though.

Your app looks great! What concentration are you interested in pursuing?

Received my official letter of acceptance (with merit awarded!) in the mail from BU!

Hey everyone!

Global mission trips x 2

Applied:
Rejected:

Columbia said late February to early March

Your app looks great! What concentration are you interested in pursuing?

For Harvard, it was Health Policy/Management. Now that I am thinking about it, I am coming to realize that one might have the most competitive one to apply for. I should have gone with global health, which I am really passionate about as well.

Columbia - general public health

Social and Behavioral Sciences. Got an email to confirm that my app was received on January 7th.

Oh wow! I was verified January 4th for the same program, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be too discouraged! I was also verified early January, and I just had my interview last week. As far as I know, for all Columbia HPM candidates they do informal interviews.

I wonder if UW will put out any decisions today. I think they released some on 02/09 last year (which was a Monday). Has anyone heard anything for Global Health?

I wonder if UW will put out any decisions today. I think they released some on 02/09 last year (which was a Monday). Has anyone heard anything for Global Health?

I don't know about Global Health, but I applied to the MPH-RD program and haven't heard anything since my interview on 1/29. They told me the second or third week of Feb, which seems a pretty scripted response according to everyone else's posts. Who knows?

Good luck... I got accepted into my first choice but I still want to know about UW! The funding information is still a deciding factor for me.

Got accepted into UNC (health behavior) this morning! Totally unexpected since I hadn't heard anything from them since they said my application was received back in December.

Reactions: 7 users
Got into GW for Physical Activity!

*** Btw I was verified for them in November and was still accepted so giving hope to all out there who haven't heard yet!

Reactions: 6 users
i had the same thought... i am dying to know. i will be refreshing my email like crazy this week.

Got accepted into UNC (health behavior) this morning! Totally unexpected since I hadn't heard anything from them since they said my application was received back in December.
I am still waiting to hear back from them, and I submitted in early December. How did you find out? Email or their website?
Edit: Also, congratulations!!!

I am still waiting to hear back from them, and I submitted in early December. How did you find out? Email or their website?

I heard from UNC MPH-RD on Friday morning. Got an email to check their application portal and the decision letter was there. I had checked the portal about a half hour earlier and it wasn't there, but the letter posted was dated the day before (2/4, posted on 2/5). So I imagine they upload it and set it to go live at a certain time. My email came through at 10:01am Friday 2/5.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Got into GW for Physical Activity!

*** Btw I was verified for them in November and was still accepted so giving hope to all out there who haven't heard yet!

Congratulations! I'm glad you finally heard back. Is that all of them ?

Fingers crossed we all get some good news this week! I really should have picked at least one school that releases decisions earlier... :p

Thank you!And almost! Colorado and then I heard back from all of them!
I got an email from colorado last week saying "your decision will be released soon!" Apparently their definition of soon and my definition are very different. The waiting game is brutal!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who applied to Berkeley and hasn't received a decision yet contacted them? I feel like they get a ton of emails and calls about when decisions will be released so I didn't want to add onto that if someone else has already reached out!