MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who applied to Berkeley and hasn't received a decision yet contacted them? I feel like they get a ton of emails and calls about when decisions will be released so I didn't want to add onto that if someone else has already reached out!
I think this depends a lot on the department... you did HSB too, right? I know I've seen MCH and ID go out, but not sure about the other depts...

Members don't see this ad.

I think this depends a lot on the department... you did HSB too, right? I know I've seen MCH and ID go out, but not sure about the other depts...
Yes, I did apply to HSB. I think we're both waiting for the same schools/departments! I feel like HSB and sociomedical sciences at Columbia both get a lot of applicants, which is why it's taking longer than the others. I don't know if anyone has tried asking. The waiting is definitely brutal... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I did apply to HSB. I think we're both waiting for the same schools/departments! I feel like HSB and sociomedical sciences at Columbia both get a lot of applicants, which is why it's taking longer than the others. I don't know if anyone has tried asking. The waiting is definitely brutal... :(
Which is funny, because I feel like I see relatively few people (at least here on the forums) that are interested in social determinants of health, at least from a more applied standpoint rather than epi. Anyway, I hear you on wanting to call, but I'm trying to avoid being the first one, haha.

Which is funny, because I feel like I see relatively few people (at least here on the forums) that are interested in social determinants of health, at least from a more applied standpoint rather than epi. Anyway, I hear you on wanting to call, but I'm trying to avoid being the first one, haha.
You might be right, although I've been lumping health behavior/promotion into the social determinants category also. Maybe it's because the forum is more geared toward medical professionals that it seems like more people are interested in epi. Glad to have someone who shares the same interests though! :)

Reactions: 1 user
You might be right, although I've been lumping health behavior/promotion into the social determinants category also. Maybe it's because the forum is more geared toward medical professionals that it seems like more people are interested in epi. Glad to have someone who shares the same interests though! :)

You two aren't alone! I actually am more interested in social determinants and health promotion/behavior! I feel like that's a great fit for me personally.

I just haven't heard a thing from Emory for the BSHE program. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users

I'm also interested in social determinants of health (which is why I applied to HSB) and will have to strongly consider whether I'll be able to pursue that interest in the MCH program instead. Both programs look amazing, but I'm worried that MCH might be more quant-focused than I really wanted. Are any other Berkeley MCH people here interested in the social determinants side of things?

I'm also interested in social determinants of health (which is why I applied to HSB) and will have to strongly consider whether I'll be able to pursue that interest in the MCH program instead. Both programs look amazing, but I'm worried that MCH might be more quant-focused than I really wanted. Are any other Berkeley MCH people here interested in the social determinants side of things?
I'm assuming you've compared the course curriculum. Do you know how difficult it is to switch concentrations once you're in the program? If they allow it, that might be a possibility to consider.

I'm assuming you've compared the course curriculum. Do you know how difficult it is to switch concentrations once you're in the program? If they allow it, that might be a possibility to consider.

I'm not sure about that. MCH does require more quantitative classes and a quantitative capstone project, but there is a fair amount of overlap in the elective courses. MCH was a strong second choice for me all along and I think it could work out great, but I'm hoping to really get a better sense at Admitted Student Day.

Just got accepted to Emory for BSHE. I never thought it would happen!!! Now to wait for UNC and Columbia...

Reactions: 12 users
I am still waiting to hear back from them, and I submitted in early December. How did you find out? Email or their website?
Edit: Also, congratulations!!!

Thank you! It was definitely a nice surprise. :)

I received an email this morning saying my admissions decision was online, so I logged onto the site and had a link to view the admissions decision. The letter on the site was dated as 2/5, but it was not posted until today. I submitted on 12/14. Hope this helps and good luck!!

images

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
5:30 EST recommended for admission for Colorado School of PH- Env and Occupational Health Program! AHHHHH!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt? On their site it says we would be notified Feb 1st

Just got accepted to Emory for BSHE. I never thought it would happen!!! Now to wait for UNC and Columbia...
Congrats! When did you apply to Emory? I'm still waiting to hear back!

Congrats! When did you apply to Emory? I'm still waiting to hear back!
Thanks! I believe I was verified 12/11. I called them Friday (2/5) to ask about the status of my application, and the woman I spoke to said the applications for BSHE were "still under review." Maybe you'll hear back this week, too? Good luck!

Did anyone else receive an interview request from WUSTL? I thought I was going to get my admissions decision last week since the email I received from them in early December said it would take six-eight weeks, so I was taken aback when I received the interview request instead.

Are there any other med students that are applying as well? I have gone through this thread and I haven't found anyone yet. Would be great to hear when you are scheduling your Step 2 CK/CS stuff.

Are there any other med students that are applying as well? I have gone through this thread and I haven't found anyone yet. Would be great to hear when you are scheduling your Step 2 CK/CS stuff.

There are a couple of us from what I recall. I'm still not sure when to take step 2 CK, either toward the end of June or end of July. Depends on where I end up deciding to go. But CS I'm probably going to take when I come back for 4th year.

Got an acceptance to UCLA Epi earlier today! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 11 users
@ash200 Congrats on all of your acceptances thus far! When were you accepted to Brown (if you don't mind me asking)?? That is my dream school and I have been refreshing my email like crazy hoping to get a decision from them!
Thanks @colombiancoffeemph I got decision from Brown School by the end of January. I am so glad that I could make out.(unexpected).....:D :D Best Wishes for you as well.... :)

I figure I've been accepted to Emory Global Epidemiology yesterday after receiving a congratulatory email from the faculty and the FedEx email, even though nothing has showed up on OPUS!
But still no word from Michigan...I submitted right before the priority deadline so I'm guessing it might be a rejection. :sour:
@quepasta Congrats for being accepted to Emory. In my case, the decision was showed up in OPUS but got no any congratulatory email! I am waiting to hear from UW seattle..Hope things get better ahead. Wish you luck as well.

Anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back from Columbia!? I got my hopes up for hearing back last Friday and now I can't stop checking my e-mail!

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else going crazy waiting to hear back from Columbia!? I got my hopes up for hearing back last Friday and now I can't stop checking my e-mail!
Going crazy waiting to hear from all my schools! :laugh: Hopefully you'll/we'll hear back this week.

Going crazy for Columbia and Yale. I am not a patient person. Lol.

Hi, I went to a Berkeley SPH advising session last year and I did hear that HSB is the most popular program and gets the most applicants each year which results in the later decision letters.

Hi, I went to a Berkeley SPH advising session last year and I did hear that HSB is the most popular program and gets the most applicants each year which results in the later decision letters.
Ooh, thanks for the insight! I think that @moonwave89 made a good point about this forum being geared more toward medical/PhD students, so that might be why it seems like the more social/applied concentrations are underrepresented.

Ooh, thanks for the insight! I think that @moonwave89 made a good point about this forum being geared more toward medical/PhD students, so that might be why it seems like the more social/applied concentrations are underrepresented.
Just to add to the conversation, I'm interested in SBS from a more applied standpoint, and don't have any interest in the medical/PhD side. So we do exist :)

Probably the worst feeling in the world is when my phone buzzes a couple of times with email notifications and I am greeted with emails from Ebay or Amazon trying to sell me something... :confused:

Reactions: 8 users
Probably the worst feeling in the world is when my phone buzzes a couple of times with email notifications and I am greeted with emails from Ebay or Amazon trying to sell me something... :confused:
I got one yesterday from some kind of graduate school matchmaking website I signed up for once. The subject line was "Find your grad school!" I'M TRYING, I TELL YOU.

Reactions: 7 users
After 5 pm everyday, I think to myself, there goes another day... *sigh* What's worse is that because Berkeley is in CA, this thought lasts until 8 pm EST/5 pm PST. The phases I go through: hopeful that today is the day :)... mid day :bucktooth:... end of the day :confused: I have a feeling today will be the same lol

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone planning on attending Visit Emory? Registration is open and I would love to have some people to meet up with while we're there!

Is anyone planning on attending Visit Emory? Registration is open and I would love to have some people to meet up with while we're there!
I might be going! I live about 10 hours away but have a family wedding in Savannah on Friday and Saturday so I'll already be traveling to Georgia - what a perfect coincidence. If I can convince my family to be okay with me missing some of the festivities I will definitely be there!

After 5 pm everyday, I think to myself, there goes another day... *sigh* What's worse is that because Berkeley is in CA, this thought lasts until 8 pm EST/5 pm PST. The phases I go through: hopeful that today is the day :)... mid day :bucktooth:... end of the day :confused: I have a feeling today will be the same lol
Seems like it's a slow day on the admissions front in general... there's always tomorrow!

According to GradCafe, someone got into UCLA for Epi today. As if I haven't been refreshing my email enough already...
I got into UCLA for Epi about a week and a half ago, I think they are rolling out decision letters based on when the application was submitted rather than a bulk decision email. Keep checking, I'm sure it'll be there soon! Good luck :)

There are a couple of us from what I recall. I'm still not sure when to take step 2 CK, either toward the end of June or end of July. Depends on where I end up deciding to go. But CS I'm probably going to take when I come back for 4th year.

Same. I think I will be taking it in early August since I won't be done with surgery until the end of June. :(

On another note, I am so excited to step away from the 80 hour work weeks and the endless studying. :)

To everyone who applied to Harvard, did you get an odd email about financial aid last month? I didn't know if that meant something. I am probably over thinking it since I want to be there so bad next year...

Just got notice that I was recommended for admission to UC Berkeley Health and Social Behavior! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
Just got notice that I was recommended for admission to UC Berkeley Health and Social Behavior! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Hi! When did you submit your app? Also, did you get an email, or did something change on the Berkeley Graduate Division Application page?

Hi! When did you submit your app? Also, did you get an email, or did something change on the Berkeley Graduate Division Application page?
I submitted it on November 22 and received my admission recommendation via email. My status on the Berkeley graduate division site hasn't changed.

Hahaha.. I feel the same, except I'm in the Eastern Hemisphere and this process takes place overnight. :penguin:o_O

I got into UCLA Epi last week and submitted on the recommended deadline of 12/01. The official letter/email was send early morning today. Keep the faith!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'd love some advice from you guys about what to do about my BU app. I applied to the MBA/MPH dual degree on 11/28. I heard back pretty immediately from the MBA half- had an interview in mid December, and got my offer from them with a 45k merit scholarship within a week. However, I still haven't even heard from the MPH side, and I'm starting to freak out a little since everyone else seems to have heard. Any ideas? I called them 2 weeks ago and they said my application was still under review. I've already had to ask the MBA folks for an extension on my deadline for deciding, and the new deadline is coming up in a week. :shrug:

I'd love some advice from you guys about what to do about my BU app. I applied to the MBA/MPH dual degree on 11/28. I heard back pretty immediately from the MBA half- had an interview in mid December, and got my offer from them with a 45k merit scholarship within a week. However, I still haven't even heard from the MPH side, and I'm starting to freak out a little since everyone else seems to have heard. Any ideas? I called them 2 weeks ago and they said my application was still under review. I've already had to ask the MBA folks for an extension on my deadline for deciding, and the new deadline is coming up in a week. :shrug:
I wouldn't worry too much - I got my application outcome weeks after everyone else (I verified some time in early November). Good luck!

I would give them a call and explain your situation. Try contacting Jonathan Cote the Director of Admissions. I saw a post from a year or 2 ago, someone called and heard back about their decision a day later.

I would give them a call and explain your situation. Try contacting Jonathan Cote the Director of Admissions. I saw a post from a year or 2 ago, someone called and heard back about their decision a day later.

That's who I called a couple weeks ago :( Do you think it's excessive to call him again? He's who I was directed to by the MBA folks.