MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Columbia's Admitted Students Day last year consisted of a welcome event where the dean, the director of admissions, and the director of financial aid present. Lunch was provided, and we got to sit with current students and professors over their honest thoughts about the school and the program. There were more talks after lunch about what makes Columbia unique with a session devoted for questions. We had a few optional events after the whole schedule was finished. I hope this helps even though I didn't apply to UCLA or Berkeley last year!

Thank you - this is very helpful! Did students attend only or did anyone bring spouses along? My husband is coming with me to see UCLA, but will have to fly back to work before the Berkeley visit. The idea is for him to see the campus and the area more than listen to the actual program details, but still, it could be interesting to sit in on...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, rent in Atlanta is cheaper near Emory compared to Boston or D.C. But a very northern girl in the South? I am curious about that transition, weather and otherwise...D.C. seems like a happy compromise between Vermont and Georgia, weather and otherwise, if I can make it affordable!

If only the CDC had another large branch in Boston other than quarantine facilities...
I moved from NY to FL and it was quite the culture shock haha. Can't wait to go back up, trust me!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just heard back from Drexel saying I was accepted with a Dean's scholarship of $10,700. I wasn't expecting a decision so soon since I literally sent in my completed app like just over 3 weeks ago and never got a "we received your application" email, but I'm not complaining!

Now only if Columbia would hurry up and ease our anxiety...
Agreed! I just want to hear back from my last few schools so I can fully consider my options! It doesn't help that Columbia's decisions were released 1 week earlier last year :bucktooth:

First and foremost, congrats!
But geez!! I applied 12/17 as well and still nothing... This is painful!
In wolverine access, did you find it on the "Admission Application Status" screen? Did you have to click any buttons like "View Credentials" or "View Application Data"?

It's on the Admission Application Status screen. A link under the two you mentioned called "View Admission Recommendation"

Hi all! I've been stalking this for months and just recently signed up... For those that applied to the University of Washington, MPH in Global Health program, I just received an email of acceptance so keep an eye out! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Oh god, how nerve wracking. I've applied to the same program and I'm waiting to see if I'll hear from them too! I spoke with Christine King a few months back regarding the interview and she said that she will contact us around this time. It sounds more like a conversation rather than an interview, she said she would be calling to learn more about what we are interested in and going over our application!

Good luck!! And congrats on hearing from her, I'm sure it's a good sign

Yea… I'm assuming she will just ask like what my interests are, what experience I have, basically what my application says. What I'm worried about are those typical interview questions like "What will you bring to our program" haha

Good luck to you!

The real question I have about UMich... even with 1 year out of state and 1 year of in state... how does one finance 60k in tuition!?!? Did they speak about any assistantships/etc??

Out of state Michigan students are not eligible for in-state tuition their 2nd year :(

There was talk about RA/TA positions but we were told that we need to be very proactive about those.

I just got an email from JHU that my application is under review and they wanted to speak with me further about my application. It will be an interview for Johns Hopkins MSPH in health policy. Has anyone done an interview with them yet? And if so, could you offer any advice on what types of questions I should prepare for. Thanks so much!

Congrats! I'm applying to the same program and have not heard anything from them yet.

Expect the following questions:

1) Why MSPH?
2) Why JHU?
3) What unique traits/strengths do you bring to the table?
4) Have you watched The Wire? (Kidding!)

Equally important are the questions you have for them, be sure to ask about their offered career services, class roster size, and teaching styles of the faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of state Michigan students are not eligible for in-state tuition their 2nd year :(

There was talk about RA/TA positions but we were told that we need to be very proactive about those.
SMH. So sad!

If the admissions predictor is right, UNC should send out decisions 2/13 ish. I've seen a few people from here get accepted to health behavior already though. I'm scared!!!

For anyone applying to the MSPH at Hopkins--

Just got a phone call this afternoon telling me I was accepted into the MSPH in Health Education and Health Communication program! Was told I'll get a formal acceptance letter soon.

I applied back in November and was told my application was forwarded to the admissions committee in late January, if that's any help.
Did you have to interview?

Got into UW global health today - email and the decision is in the applicant portal

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,
I recently was accepted to Tulane and Emory for Global Health ( I really want to do nutrition and take some electives in infectious diseases), but I am having a very hard time deciding which school is best for me. After MPH school, I plan on going to school again to become a physician assistant and hope to someday work for the World Health organization and/or other global health organization using my medical and nutritional knowledge in order to diagnose and treat people with infectious diseases. Both Tulane and Emory are great programs but I don't know which school will provide me more hands on experience working with global health organizations. Has anyone been accepted to both programs before and if so, which one did you choose? What are the pros and cons for both programs? Which program has more of a connection to global organizations such as WHO? Which program will best fit my educational needs?

If the admissions predictor is right, UNC should send out decisions 2/13 ish. I've seen a few people from here get accepted to health behavior already though. I'm scared!!!

I got into UNC last Friday (MPH-RD), so hopefully you'll hear really soon! Good luck!

Just got an acceptance email from Columbia!

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted to Columbia for Epi!!!! Honestly didn't think I had a chance :claps:

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Man you Columbia people have given me a fright! Haha. I'm at my second job for the day for a few hours, the suspense is insane :(

Man you Columbia people have given me a fright! Haha. I'm at my second job for the day for a few hours, the suspense is insane :(
I know right?! I haven't gotten anything yet from them =/

Accepted to Columbia! HMP Applied by 12/1.

Reactions: 7 users
I received the email too but if you read it says, "As an admitted student, you have the opportunity to apply..." Interesting choice of words. I'm surprised to see so few people have been accepted to WUSTL at this point. Maybe they have changed their admissions process.

I was rejected and I worked there for 3 years and all of my LORs were from WUSTL profs. Honestly that's the one place I was expecting to get into. I'm wondering if they're trying to be more selective since they're not ranked? No idea

People that got their accepted email from Columbia-- what department did you apply to?

Just got into Columbia for HPM!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Got into Columbia as well! I can't believe it; my interview was a mess haha.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey don't know if this will help either but here is my timeline. I applied 12/31, got an email for OPUS 1/8, BSHE received my app 1/15. They got my GRE scores 1/19 since I sent a more recent score. I found out today 2/10 that I got in. Don't worry, you will be next! :)

Thanks for the info guys. You all had really quick turnarounds, whereas as of Wednesday, it's been two weeks and nothing except an email reminder about the FAFSA, an email about Admissions Day, an email from the other half of my dual-degree program for an Admissions Day, and an update from OPUS about midyear reports.....when I'm not even applying for undergrad. :scared:

Emory is playing with my feelings (as V-day draws near too :laugh:), but I appreciate the info and encouragement from everyone! :highfive:

Be sure to update your signatures! Class of 2019 applicants will love you!

Columbia as well!!! Ahhh!!!

Got into Columbia Infectious Disease Epi. Quite the decision on my hands coming up, I'm leaning towards Michigan Global Health Epi but I think money will determine this a lot.

Reactions: 7 users
YAS Columbia epi! I don't think it's my top choice but i'm done waiting and it feels amazing

YAS Columbia epi! I don't think it's my top choice but i'm done waiting and it feels amazing

I'm kind of confused with all the epi acceptances...Any particular school you're leaning towards?

Got into Boston yesterday! and Columbia HPM today!

I'm kind of confused with all the epi acceptances...Any particular school you're leaning towards?

Honestly it's really hard! I live in Virginia so the school I go to now (which has a great program, but not a school of public health so it's not ranked) is super cheap which is obviously desirable. Other than that, I think I'm between GW and USF. I like USF because I'm in the dual concentration epi and global communicable disease program, and i love GW because I would love to stay in DC. But money. Ugh.

What about you?? Any thoughts?

-
Thanks for the info guys. You all had really quick turnarounds, whereas as of Wednesday, it's been two weeks and nothing except an email reminder about the FAFSA, an email about Admissions Day, an email from the other half of my dual-degree program for an Admissions Day, and an update from OPUS about midyear reports.....when I'm not even applying for undergrad. :scared:

Emory is playing with my feelings (as V-day draws near too :laugh:), but I appreciate the info and encouragement from everyone! :highfive:
Also, I remember from reading the thread earlier that someone called in to ask if they had been accepted. They said the decision was made already made but it takes OPUS forever to update. I didn't have the guts to call so I just waited.

No Columbia email for me So either they are waiting to cut me or waiting to accept me in mid-march... At this point either sounds so horrible

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hah, got in to Columbia also! HPM, applied 12/1, had an interview that was overall uncomfortable. Huzzah !!!