MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Also, I remember from reading the thread earlier that someone called in to ask if they had been accepted. They said the decision was made already made but it takes OPUS forever to update. I didn't have the guts to call so I just waited.

Yeah, I remember posting a while ago about possibly calling. Emory did say 2-6 weeks and a lot of people had to wait for a month (from Dec to early January) to hear back. Who would I contact though to ask? I'm tempted anyway if I don't hear anything by next week or if I have the guts to muster up. Ah, decisions. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all the Columbia folks who were accepted today! Paranoid question but did they all role out with the same time stamp on the email? Wondering if they sent bulk acceptances and rejections...

Congrats to all the Columbia folks who were accepted today! Paranoid question but did they all role out with the same time stamp on the email? Wondering if they sent bulk acceptances and rejections...

Mine was received 1:34pm Pacific time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! The tuition is a big draw for me as well - I just wish it were $13K per year and not semester :) Plus, I think rates will probably go up a bit over the next few years, but still, amazing price compared to a lot of schools.
I know :( I just read an article this week about the severe budget deficit UC Berkeley is facing too. More tuition hikes to come...

3:48 central

Mine was received 1:34pm Pacific time.

Oh! They might've been bulk sent then. Mine was stamped 4:34 EST.

Woohoo, got into Columbia HPM! Officially have heard back from all my schools - now it's decision time!

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected from Yale. That closed out my mph apps. Got in to Emory and Vanderbilt. 2 for 3 isn't bad. Plus Yale is like 20,000 more expensive than Emory overall and even though they offer the dual degree I want I couldn't find any faculty who actually work in religion and health... So....
Now I'm all but certain I'll go to Emory

Reactions: 1 users
According to Grad Cafe, last year Columbia rolled out their first batch of decisions 2/6-2/11. For those of us who didn't hear back today, we could receive a decision within the next couple of days! Praying I don't have to wait until mid-March haha

Good luck everyone!

Got accepted to Columbia for sociolomedical sciences. I'm crying I honestly did not think I had a chance! That's all my schools..

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check the email stating the unfavorable decision for GLEPI. That is how I was informed that my app was under review in my second choice department. If it is not included in the email, I would definitely contact them and inquire about the status of your app. What was your second choice?

Thank you so much! Hoping the best for you!
Ohhhh okay! I'll double check the email and probably email them as well, just to make sure haha. But mine is also global health with the concentration in infectious disease. And thank you!! I can use plenty of good vibes haha

Accepted to Johns Hopkins MSPH in Health Policy!!!! *CRYING*

Reactions: 14 users
Over two months after they say I would hear by the end of December...FINALLY heard back from BUSPH and got in! Such a relief!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted into Columbia for Epi this afternoon.
Congratulations to all who have had good news!!!

Reactions: 12 users
Honestly it's really hard! I live in Virginia so the school I go to now (which has a great program, but not a school of public health so it's not ranked) is super cheap which is obviously desirable. Other than that, I think I'm between GW and USF. I like USF because I'm in the dual concentration epi and global communicable disease program, and i love GW because I would love to stay in DC. But money. Ugh.

What about you?? Any thoughts?

I'm torn between Columbia and GW. I never seriously considered Columbia, just sort of applied for the heck of it and didn't think I'd get in. Before I even sent out apps, GW was always my top choice mainly because of the opportunities present in DC for public health. I will say I'm more familiar with what GW's program has to offer and the correspondence I've had with current students and advisors at GW has been very, very helpful and reflects well on how the faculty assists students. Both schools are expensive, but I think overall...cost of living would be a little bit cheaper in DC? Also, I'm not from DC but have family that lives in the area and think I'm definitely a better fit for DC city life than NY lol

Columbia has that nice ivy name but I'm not very familiar with NY, the program, and what all there is for me to take advantage of.

Leaning towards GW!
----
If anyone has info they'd like to share about Columbia's Epi program, please do :) Thank you!

Congratulations on Columbia everyone!

In other (weird) news, I got an acceptance to UTHouston last week via email and they sent info for accessing myUTH. The acceptance wasn't online but I just assumed it was delayed or whatever. I got an email today to check my admission status and it says rejected...

Reactions: 4 users
Finally heard back from BU SPH as well, I got in! Dual degree MBA/MPH in global health management with 45k merit scholarship. So happy!!!

Reactions: 10 users
"Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that your application to the Department of Health Policy and Management for the 2016-2017 academic year has been ACCEPTED. You have been admitted to the Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH), Health Policy program."

Got the green light from Johns Hopkins! :soexcited:

Reactions: 11 users
Thank you - this is very helpful! Did students attend only or did anyone bring spouses along? My husband is coming with me to see UCLA, but will have to fly back to work before the Berkeley visit. The idea is for him to see the campus and the area more than listen to the actual program details, but still, it could be interesting to sit in on...
I'm pretty sure that most students who attended came alone, but I think Columbia allowed us to bring one person (I could be wrong on that). I would recommend that you contact UCLA and Berkeley for possible discounts on hotels if you're staying at one! Columbia had a few options, so I can see UCLA and Berkeley possibly having some options to help you with costs

"Congratulations! I am pleased to inform you that your application to the Department of Health Policy and Management for the 2016-2017 academic year has been ACCEPTED. You have been admitted to the Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH), Health Policy program."

Got the green light from Johns Hopkins! :soexcited:
AH! You're a star! Congratulations. :D

I'm torn between Columbia and GW. I never seriously considered Columbia, just sort of applied for the heck of it and didn't think I'd get in. Before I even sent out apps, GW was always my top choice mainly because of the opportunities present in DC for public health. I will say I'm more familiar with what GW's program has to offer and the correspondence I've had with current students and advisors at GW has been very, very helpful and reflects well on how the faculty assists students. Both schools are expensive, but I think overall...cost of living would be a little bit cheaper in DC? Also, I'm not from DC but have family that lives in the area and think I'm definitely a better fit for DC city life than NY lol

Columbia has that nice ivy name but I'm not very familiar with NY, the program, and what all there is for me to take advantage of.

Leaning towards GW!
----
If anyone has info they'd like to share about Columbia's Epi program, please do :) Thank you!

That's basically everything I'm thinking as well! I would LOVE to go to GW. If I can figure out the money situation/find a good job there I think I would go there in a heartbeat. DC is my favorite city (I'm biased because I live here) but I can't imagine commuting in every day. But then again, Columbia is amazing as well. I didn't really think I had a shot so I wasn't considering it before haha

Congrats everyone on the acceptances! I just scheduled my Columbia interview for this weekend. For those who heard back and had an interview with Columbia, how long after your interview did you hear back about your admission status?

Also, was the interview very casual conversation about the program?

Thanks so much!

congratulations for the acceptances evryone. Has anyone been accepted for the columbia MHA program? MHA not MPH

Accepted to Columbia (Dept of Population & Family Health) for the program in Public Health & Humanitarian Assistance! :) Any news on financial aid from Columbia?

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats everyone on the acceptances! I just scheduled my Columbia interview for this weekend. For those who heard back and had an interview with Columbia, how long after your interview did you hear back about your admission status?

Also, was the interview very casual conversation about the program?

Thanks so much!

I interviewed with a graduate student on January 12 and heard back February 11.

It was a very casual interview, I was asked the basics like Why Public Health? MPH? Columbia? Strength?

Read over your statement of purpose prior to your interview and have a few small talk items to talk about. If you do that, you will do great!

Columbia for global epidemiology! I didn't get that financial aid email btw, so don't stress too much if you didn't! Verified in early January.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted (Austin campus) in December and just received the login info today. I logged in to check it out and it says my application is incomplete. Is anyone else seeing this?

I checked mine and it says "Incomplete" too, under Admissions. Is it the same for everyone?

In other (weird) news, I got an acceptance to UTHouston last week via email and they sent info for accessing myUTH. The acceptance wasn't online but I just assumed it was delayed or whatever. I got an email today to check my admission status and it says rejected...

Wow! That's pretty weird and it sucks. UTH better pull up their socks.

It seems like some Yale decisions came out yesterday...are there still people waiting? I was verified mid-January, and did not hear from them yesterday like others.

Reactions: 4 users

Leaning towards GW!
----
Same here! I applied to Columbia just to have that option if I got in but really didn't expect to. BUSPH was my top choice and made the most sense, especially financially. I currently live in Boston, my family is from the Boston area, I grew up and went to college here, I have a lot of colleagues who went to BUSPH and loved it etc. Now I'm torn! I still really like BU and think it's the most practical option but a part of me wants to challenge myself by moving to a new environment. The Columbia name is a bonus. I definitely got the most impressed responses from my family and friends when I told them I got into Columbia, vs. when I told them about BU and Tufts. I don't know if that should mean anything. I also don't know if the 70k+ (guesstimating) debt is worth going to Columbia, especially since I got a merit scholarship from BU, and more importantly, if I end up competing with BUSPH students for the same jobs anyway. BU grads will likely have an advantage if I move back to Boston after school since they would've done their practicums locally at the Boston Public Health Commission, MA Dept of Public Health etc. Argh! Decisions!!

Now if only I can get Berkeley and the other half of Tufts (I applied to a dual degree in urban planning) to respond...

Last edited:

Leaning towards GW!
----

I applied to Columbia on a whim just because an Ivy seemed like a good goal, but never really considered it. While the school sounds amazing, I lived in NYC for almost a year and I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the city. Finding housing is nearly impossible and expensive, and even that aside, the cost of living is really high. (For context, I paid $1200 a month to live in a windowless basement apartment with three other people. Admittedly, my options were limited by the fact that I have cats.)

I think Emory is my top choice, and even though the tuition cost and rent burden seem comparable, I could have a nice apartment by myself near campus for the same price as a tiny bedroom in an undesirable neighborhood of NY.

My second choice is UTH Austin, because it's cheap and Austin is amazing, but how disorganized they've been about their admission process is throwing me off. I'm also not sold on the Austin regional campus -- it's small, and I'm not sure about distance learning classes. I just don't think I could handle living in Houston...

I also really like the USF program, since I'm dual Epi / Global Health, but I've never been to Tampa and haven't heard many good things. It's also much, much cheaper, so I'm trying to weigh whether or not the extra debt from Emory will be worth it.

Finally heard back from BU SPH as well, I got in! Dual degree MBA/MPH in global health management with 45k merit scholarship. So happy!!!

Massive congratulations! I also just got into BU SPH and had my BU MBA interview today(!) How long was the turnaround time before you heard back from Questrom?

I applied to Columbia on a whim just because an Ivy seemed like a good goal, but never really considered it. While the school sounds amazing, I lived in NYC for almost a year and I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the city. Finding housing is nearly impossible and expensive, and even that aside, the cost of living is really high. (For context, I paid $1200 a month to live in a windowless basement apartment with three other people. Admittedly, my options were limited by the fact that I have cats.)

I think Emory is my top choice, and even though the tuition cost and rent burden seem comparable, I could have a nice apartment by myself near campus for the same price as a tiny bedroom in an undesirable neighborhood of NY.

My second choice is UTH Austin, because it's cheap and Austin is amazing, but how disorganized they've been about their admission process is throwing me off. I'm also not sold on the Austin regional campus -- it's small, and I'm not sure about distance learning classes. I just don't think I could handle living in Houston...

I also really like the USF program, since I'm dual Epi / Global Health, but I've never been to Tampa and haven't heard many good things. It's also much, much cheaper, so I'm trying to weigh whether or not the extra debt from Emory will be worth it.
I am visiting Emory next Friday, I am more than happy to share how it goes and try to answer any questions you may have. My heart is already set on Emory but I'm trying to keep my options open!

It seems like some Yale decisions came out yesterday...are there still people waiting? I was verified mid-January, and did not hear from them yesterday like others.
I didn't hear yesterday and was verified early January

congratulations for the acceptances evryone. Has anyone been accepted for the columbia MHA program? MHA not MPH

I also applied to Columbia's MHA program and not MPH, and as far as I know, our decisions won't be coming out until a couple weeks from now. I think our acceptance release dates are later than the MPH-HPM dates. This is speculation though, since I have not seen any information on any forums where people have been accepted to the Columbia MHA program as of yet. Plus, seems like most people during the MHA interview got the same timeline for waiting for decisions: last week of February-first week for March.

I haven't heard from them either; Verified early January

Haven't heard either. I was told my application was complete early in January.

I applied to Columbia General PH on December 1st...haven't heard anything. I am freaking out.

I wish I could hear from Columbia and Harvard already! I have to plan my step 2 boards and stuff soon. And the nervousness is killing me.

Is there anyone who hasn't heard from Berkeley (HSB) yet? I feel like I'm the only one. I applied for a concurrent degree so I'm not sure if that's why or if I should be worried =/

Hello... Is there anyone out there?...

I contacted Yale yesterday at 2 pm and they emailed back very quickly:
Your application is complete and in the review process. You should expect a decision by end of Feb/1st week of March. All decisions are sent by email – you can check in at any time for an update. Good luck, Admissions

So, there's that, I see some rejections rolled out recently, wonder if different concentrations are coming out on different time periods.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyone who hasn't heard from Berkeley (HSB) yet? I feel like I'm the only one. I applied for a concurrent degree so I'm not sure if that's why or if I should be worried =/

Hello... Is there anyone out there?...

I contacted berkeley this week and they emailed the generic response, "All applicants are expected to receive a response around late-February/early-March."

So there's that, saw people getting acceptance via gradcafe so sounds like decisions are being rolled out. Good luck!

Anyone heard anything from NYU?
Was expecting a far quicker responses