MPH Fall 2016: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.45
Major/Minor:
public health
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 7/28 V: 157 Q: 147 W:5

Applied: NYU, Tulane, BU, Claremont, Emory
Accepted: Tulane, BU (16k merit), NYU (20k scholarship), Claremont (8k merit), Emory (4k),
Rejected: none
Waitlisted: none

Hello! I am finally posting something after stalking this thread for the past year. I just wanted to throw this out there for all future applicants that YES, you can get into the schools of your dreams even with a horrible GRE quant score!! BU's program, while the class size would be larger, offers a lot of variety in their classes and programs which is something I love.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I've lurked these forums for the past 2 years trying to get the courage to apply for grad school. I remember one post which was especially inspiring because the person had a low GPA but lots of public health experience and was able to get into a school they wanted. I want to share my story and help others who feel like I did and believe there is no hope. Short version: I was academically suspended due to serious mental health problems, got treatment, came back, and finished my degree. I even had to retake classes I had failed but I got really good grades when I returned. Other than the people that I asked for recommendations, only 2 other people knew I was applying because I just knew I wasnt going to get accepted anywhere

Undergrad School:
Top 5 Public school
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: <2.5
Major/Minor: Sociology & Foreign Affairs
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 1/27/16 - 156V, 152 Q, 5W
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- 1 year of AmeriCorps working in a community health clinic assisting clients with applying for public benefits and applying to SSI/SSDI
- 4 years of employment at the same clinic working with clients with chronic mental illness and/or intellectual disability who live in poverty. Assisted them with managing their limited income, connecting them with community mental health resources, medication management, maintaining public benefits, etc
- Advocated for better family shelters, more CIT officers, wrote blogs about our work for my organization
- Mental Health first aid instructor, trained in non-violent crisis intervention
- Community liason to my local Department of Behavioral Health, Social Security Administration, and Department of Disability Services
- Peer Health Educator in college

Interested in: Managed care, Mental Health, Medicaid/Medicare
Applied: NYU (2/1), GWU (2/1), Tulane (3/15), Drexel (3/15), BU (3/15) - all for Community Health
Accepted: BU (3/30/16)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I felt that before I could apply to grad school I needed to gain a few years of experience, narrow down what I wanted to focus on and build relationships. I'm really glad there are schools out there that truly consider an entire application, and not just GPA and GRE. I also had excellent recommendations, one of which was from a semi-big deal in public health (I cant stress the importance of building relationships), and a strong/compelling personal statement. Best of luck!
Wow thanks for sharing. Great work and congratulations!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, I have a few options would really appreciate input or advice!

Background: Currently working in a developing country on medical technology for neonates; I think I want a career in chronic disease epidemiology with a "global" focus.

1) Johns Hopkins ScM in Epidemiology graduating with at least $80,000 in debt
2) Michigan MPH in Epi with instate tuition and 50% deans scholarship (I went here for undergrad so am not as inclined to spend another two years in AA)
3) UNC MPH in MCH (but can take a lot of epi courses), about $60-70,000 debt
4) Yale/Brown with scholarships but still at least $60,000 debt (not seriously considering these two at all but including it in case someone has some insight)

Is the debt worth the JH school name? A lot of people I've spoken to said that it isn't worth it in the end because it prevents one from taking great job opportunities that don't pay as much.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that got accepted to University of Minnesota's PHAP program, how long did it take to receive the official acceptance? They took over 3 months to give me my decision. Finally got accepted yesterday - received the video from the dean but I'm not sure what to expect from here. Was it through email or postal mail? And how long did the financial aid package take? Thank you!!

Hi everyone, I have a few options would really appreciate input or advice!

Background: Currently working in a developing country on medical technology for neonates; I think I want a career in chronic disease epidemiology with a "global" focus.

1) Johns Hopkins ScM in Epidemiology graduating with at least $80,000 in debt
2) Michigan MPH in Epi with instate tuition and 50% deans scholarship (I went here for undergrad so am not as inclined to spend another two years in AA)
3) UNC MPH in MCH (but can take a lot of epi courses), about $60-70,000 debt
4) Yale/Brown with scholarships but still at least $60,000 debt (not seriously considering these two at all but including it in case someone has some insight)

Is the debt worth the JH school name? A lot of people I've spoken to said that it isn't worth it in the end because it prevents one from taking great job opportunities that don't pay as much.

Thanks!

if you can i'd suggest talking to alums of the program since they went through the process and can give you a candid answer about job prospects afterwards. my guess is that epi has a higher income bracket than other concentrations, but i'm sure the programs have more details on what entry level salaries might look like. i would say in your case, they're all great schools so there isn't a huge difference between going to hopkins vs. unc/etc. because they're all big names, but i also wouldn't choose a school only because it's the cheapest and not because it's what you want! hope that helped a little?

I've decided to bite the financial burden and attend GW in the fall for environmental health policy! Wish I could make it for the preview day but, alas, my thesis calls...

Reactions: 4 users
I've decided to bite the financial burden and attend GW in the fall for environmental health policy! Wish I could make it for the preview day but, alas, my thesis calls...

Don't worry, there is an alternative for those who can't make it. Check out the admitted students Facebook page for more info. I didn't go to preview day either, mainly because I didn't submit my app until after.

Just wanted to update you guys that I received a full tuition scholarship on 3/24 and will be attending HSPH. I was in shock / disbelief / indescribable and unprecedented happiness :happy: when I got the news and still am because an MPH degree at any school would not have been possible for me without financial aid, let alone an MPH at a dream school like HSPH. I will be declining my offers at Columbia, Yale, JHSPH and BU and hope that the admissions slots and awards help other passionate public health penguins on this forum :) Thank you guys so much for all your support and help during these past months! I look forward to working in the field with you all in the future. :clap:

Reactions: 26 users
Just wanted to update you guys that I received a full tuition scholarship on 3/24 and will be attending HSPH. I was in shock / disbelief / indescribable and unprecedented happiness :happy: when I got the news and still am because an MPH degree at any school would not have been possible for me without financial aid, let alone an MPH at a dream school like HSPH. I will be declining my offers at Columbia, Yale, JHSPH and BU and hope that the admissions slots and awards help other passionate public health penguins on this forum :) Thank you guys so much for all your support and help during these past months! I look forward to working in the field with you all in the future. :clap:
Congratulations!! That's super amazing! We'll definitely see you in the field. You'll be hard to miss :penguin:

And congrats to everyone else who has made their decisions already! I came from a Columbia alumni/admitted student mixer earlier this evening and had most of my outstanding questions/concerns addressed. I'm going to wait at least another week before I officially commit, just to make sure nothing else comes up and completely changes my mind lol, but I think I'm pretty close to finalizing my decision soon :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone, Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck with your decisions.
I have turned down my offer from Tulane and will soon be turning down my offer from BU.
I have to choose between Emory (BSHE), School wide MPH JHSPH and Advanced Professional MPH Program in Global Health Yale.
I called a current student at Emory regarding my options. She told me that Emory's Program is not much flexible in comparison to other two. Anybody having some idea?

I also not able to contact a single student yet in AP MPH in Yale. No idea Hows this program is. Can anybody shed some light ?

Does anyone attending Visit Emory this Thursday want to meet up at the reception/Convos on Tap (or earlier)? I'm excited to meet everyone!
Im gunna be there tomorrow!!! I want to meet yall :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All right, guys. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm going to University of Washington. I think the main thing holding me back from being 100% is that it's just so freaking scary to put finally making a decision into words. I'll be mulling it over this weekend, especially after I get some sleep. Just came off my second red-eye and am so glad to be done with overnight flights! :yawn::clap:

Reactions: 10 users
Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile and it's nice to read about everyone's acceptances and decisions!!

I was supposed to go to Visit Emory and GW's visiting day this weekend, but then came down with the flu yesterday and had to cancel both trips :( I'm so upset because these visiting days were really going to help my decision making. If anyone goes to either of those, would you mind posting about them? I feel like I'm leaning towards Emory already, but I'm still really disappointed that I'm not getting to visit either of them and hear their presentations.

Hi everyone, I haven't been on here for awhile and it's nice to read about everyone's acceptances and decisions!!

I was supposed to go to Visit Emory and GW's visiting day this weekend, but then came down with the flu yesterday and had to cancel both trips :( I'm so upset because these visiting days were really going to help my decision making. If anyone goes to either of those, would you mind posting about them? I feel like I'm leaning towards Emory already, but I'm still really disappointed that I'm not getting to visit either of them and hear their presentations.
oh no!! sorry you're sick :(

i'm going late to GW admitted students day but i'm in public health nutrition so it's probably different from your program. i can send you my impressions overall but i think they also have an online one next week for international students or something, check that out and see if you can at least sit in on that!

Did anyone else try out the "Acceptance Predictor" as a pretend medical student for kicks, only to realize on the very last page . . . . sad to admit, it did take me that long to realize what was going on... good thing I'm in public health :laugh:

I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone who went to UNC's admitted students day. I'm currently teaching English in China and wasn't able to go.

I'm specifically interested in finding out how likely it is to be able to find a graduate research/teaching assistantship.

Congratulations!! That's super amazing! We'll definitely see you in the field. You'll be hard to miss :penguin:

And congrats to everyone else who has made their decisions already! I came from a Columbia alumni/admitted student mixer earlier this evening and had most of my outstanding questions/concerns addressed. I'm going to wait at least another week before I officially commit, just to make sure nothing else comes up and completely changes my mind lol, but I think I'm pretty close to finalizing my decision soon :D

How was that? What did you learn that's confirmed the decision for you to attend Columbia?

any mph programs still open?

Go onto SOPHAS and check the deadlines. For schools that don't use SOPHAS, go onto the CEPH website, then go to the schools' websites and check the deadlines.

Hello everyone congratulations
I am a received admission in UIC - Epidemilogy program Fall 2016.
I am undergoing my the financial process and I20, being an international student.
It would be great to get in touch with students from the same faculty or university.
Hoping to hear from you guys.
Thank you.

Hey! I can speak about GW's admitted day (I'm epidemiology/biostatistics). The thing that stuck out to me the most about the program is how much they encourage students to work at least part-time in DC while studying, due to the sheer breadth of public health opportunities in the area. So, I met a lot of current students who are doing really cool things and attending grad school in the afternoons and evenings (the only time classes are held). In this sense, GW feels less academia-ish and more like a professionally oriented program. Which is what I want so I'm very happy about that. In terms of funding, they have graduate and research assistant positions that pay just enough to survive in DC but offer pretty good tuition support. My impression was that these are competitive and available more to second-year MPH students than first years. The program also definitely skews young (around half are fresh out of undergrad or only have a year of work experience). Hope that helps!

Also, the building is gorgeous! Which isn't as important but just thought I'd mention, haha.

Reactions: 5 users
Going to NYU!

Last edited:
Was Waitlisted for NYU and just received acceptance today from the admissions committee! NYU is my top choice as I am already enrolled in their public health certificate program. I am over the moon since I was worried about my low undergrad GPA and GRE scores. Tried to get top references and experiences to help compensate! To any of you enrolling in NYU in September, would love to connect!

Congratulations

Can anyone give me some more insight on NYU? Living in NYC seems like a great opportunity to have connections to many organizations and resources but it's the program itself that worries me. I was accepted into their brand new public health policy and management program, and when I attended their Admitted Students Day yesterday, there seemed to be a lack of information regarding where graduates end up working. It seems like most either work for the New York City (or State) Department of Health or global health organizations. I'm more interested in working for a domestic consulting firm, government organization, or NGO but there is no graduate employment data for NYU I can find anywhere on their website. It also worries me that they're only a program of public health rather than a school.

Long story short, did anyone else attend the Admitted Students Day or is anyone considering NYU for their MPH? Do you mind sharing your thoughts?

I'm deciding between BU and NYU but I feel as if I'm leaning more towards BU just because of my hesitations with certain aspects of NYU's new program.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone attend Harvard's Admitted Student Open House? Would love to hear more about it since I was unable to go ! Thanks. I'd appreciate it!

Is anyone having trouble logging on to the BU Applicant Gateway to update their decision status? I'm not able to log in. Any suggestions??

How was that? What did you learn that's confirmed the decision for you to attend Columbia?
Up until this point, I had mainly spoken to current students, so it was really helpful hearing what people did after they graduated (think tanks, consulting, nonprofits, a few went on for additional graduate degrees) and how they felt the program prepared them post graduation. It seems like the core is a necessary evil because it's a lot of work, especially since most of it is in the first semester, but I think many appreciated that it gave them a comprehensive understanding of public health with practical skills like leadership development and learning using case studies. I also learned more about my dept (SMS) in terms of the community and professors, academic advising, classes for my certificate, the thesis, and the practicum. I realize that speaking with alumni was actually more useful than my conversations with current students, because they are able to reflect on what parts of their experience they found useful after leaving the program.

All right, guys. I'm 99.9999% sure I'm going to University of Washington. I think the main thing holding me back from being 100% is that it's just so freaking scary to put finally making a decision into words. I'll be mulling it over this weekend, especially after I get some sleep. Just came off my second red-eye and am so glad to be done with overnight flights! :yawn::clap:
Did you go to the admitted students day at UW? I wasn't able to go but would love to hear how it was!

After many trials and tribulations, I received a revised financial aid package from Columbia which now includes a need based grant. Just got back from DC yesterday and will be attending Columbia's admitted students' day this weekend. I'll provide a comparison after my visit!

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone give me some more insight on NYU? Living in NYC seems like a great opportunity to have connections to many organizations and resources but it's the program itself that worries me. I was accepted into their brand new public health policy and management program, and when I attended their Admitted Students Day yesterday, there seemed to be a lack of information regarding where graduates end up working. It seems like most either work for the New York City (or State) Department of Health or global health organizations. I'm more interested in working for a domestic consulting firm, government organization, or NGO but there is no graduate employment data for NYU I can find anywhere on their website. It also worries me that they're only a program of public health rather than a school.

Long story short, did anyone else attend the Admitted Students Day or is anyone considering NYU for their MPH? Do you mind sharing your thoughts?

I'm deciding between BU and NYU but I feel as if I'm leaning more towards BU just because of my hesitations with certain aspects of NYU's new program.

I was there too and same question worries me. I even asked the faculty members and admission officer regarding the ratio or average number of graduate students especially the international (As I am an international student) who got good placements or the number of graduates being placed. No answer only silence :shrug:

They mentioned about their international connections or internship opportunities and programs with UNICEF or UN but no information regarding placements. Contrary to this, when I attended Drexel's open house day, they did mentioned about job opportunities and employers they invite to campus to help the students to get the exposure as well as the right job. They still gave you a rough idea about placements.

NYU is still my top priority but after spending too much in program, you definitely want to get a job not just a degree...so havent decide yet. If some one else have to say regarding placements after Rutgers and NYU???

I am deciding between Rutgers , NYU and Drexel..going to attend Rutger's open house this weekend, then only I can decide. Because my focus is on research and research wise both NYU and Rutgers are good. Hope this helps.

Did you go to the admitted students day at UW? I wasn't able to go but would love to hear how it was!
I did! It was specific to the COPHP program, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to someone admitted to another track. Generally, though, people seemed really happy with their experiences there, and the campus is gorgeous. We had such sunny weather.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask! Since my admitted day was so program-specific, I don't want to bore you with details that don't apply, haha.

Just received notification that I got the Schad Fellowship at OSU! I'm turning it down as I committed to UGA so hopefully that opens it up to y'all! Good luck! Love seeing all the commitments lately :)

Reactions: 4 users
Accepting my spot at GW! Thanks y'all for your support, you guys have been awesome :)

Reactions: 5 users
Was Waitlisted for NYU and just received acceptance today from the admissions committee! NYU is my top choice as I am already enrolled in their public health certificate program. I am over the moon since I was worried about my low undergrad GPA and GRE scores. Tried to get top references and experiences to help compensate! To any of you enrolling in NYU in September, would love to connect!
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm on the waitlist still! It is my #1 choice as well!

I'M SO GLAD THIS PROCESS IS OVER. Wish I could afford emory, but yeeeeeeesh 66K in loans is NOT for me. I have accepted Pitt's offer and I'm so excited :happy:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Harvard's new 65-credit MPH? I am wondering if anyone is having any reservations about this program since it is new?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Harvard's new 65-credit MPH? I am wondering if anyone is having any reservations about this program since it is new?
I am curious about thoughts on Harvard's admitted students day, since I could not attend!

Who is attending Emory? I am pretty sure I am decided on it, but nervous to make it official! Probably going to today, though! Congrats to everyone on your decisions!

All right, y'all. I'm making it official. University of Washington, here I come!

Reactions: 9 users
Who is attending Emory? I am pretty sure I am decided on it, but nervous to make it official! Probably going to today, though! Congrats to everyone on your decisions!

I just accepted my offer with Emory today! Can't wait for August :clap:

Reactions: 12 users
I just accepted my offer with Emory today! Can't wait for August :clap:
That's awesome! Congrats! You are MPH EPI? It is so exciting! Can't believe it is coming up so quickly.

Did SDSU email you or just through the mail?
Postal mail with a diagnostic biostat test lol no email though. You can also check the red portal I think

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did anyone ever receive an agenda for admitted student's day at Columbia? I RSVPed but never got one.