MPH Fall 2017: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4 years conducting research in seizure diagnosis
- 6-week-long public health internship
- 2 years volunteering in a hospital
- 2 years tutoring and cooking for kids
Special factors: I feel like my research experience might be unique, but I'm worried that my lack of experience in the field of public health will make me a poor applicant.

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, should have clarified. I disagree with the bold portion, hence the confusion. I talk about it more in the stickies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, should have clarified. I disagree with the bold portion, hence the confusion. I talk about it more in the stickies.
I checked it out and found it very encouraging. Thanks! I guess now I'm concerned that I won't make certain deadlines. I was planning on submitting in late November.. Does my application need to be verified to make the December 1 deadline?

I checked it out and found it very encouraging. Thanks! I guess now I'm concerned that I won't make certain deadlines. I was planning on submitting in late November.. Does my application need to be verified to make the December 1 deadline?

Yes, plan on submitting your application by mid-October. If you can get just one school in, you'll be set, and can submit the rest in late November.

Yes, plan on submitting your application by mid-October. If you can get just one school in, you'll be set, and can submit the rest in late November.

That's good to know. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi friends,

I'll post my stats here after I send my applications, but for now I have a SOPHAS question. I've gotten emails that they've received 2 of my transcripts, but when I look at the "check status" portion of the site, it says 0 have arrived. Anyone know what's up with this? It's been more than 24 hours since I received the emails and almost 10 days since the schools sent the transcripts.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just realized something: I have a friend who is planning on taking the GRE early November. According to ETS, it looks like it'll take about 18 business days for her score to get on SOPHAS, so she feels like she'll be fine. I know you said to take it mid-October. Should I tell her she's too late?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I just realized something: I have a friend who is planning on taking the GRE early November. According to ETS, it looks like it'll take about 18 business days for her score to get on SOPHAS, so she feels like she'll be fine. I know you said to take it mid-October. Should I tell her she's too late?

Depends on her earliest deadline. If she's not shooting for priority, then she'll be fine. Typically by Jan most students have submitted so verification happens quickly. I was a late applicant and submitted in April; I was verified in two days (took GRE in Dec).

Edit: Actually, you may need to take the GRE early October. You'll have to double-check the SOPHAS FAQ, but I think your scores need to be in in order to be complete for the verification process to occur.

Last edited:
Depends on her earliest deadline. If she's not shooting for priority, then she'll be fine. Typically by Jan most students have submitted so verification happens quickly. I was a late applicant and submitted in April; I was verified in two days (took GRE in Dec).

Edit: Actually, you may need to take the GRE early October. You'll have to double-check the SOPHAS FAQ, but I think your scores need to be in in order to be complete for the verification process to occur.

Okay, thanks! I'll just let her know in case she wants to look into that. Thank you for your help!

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask students who deferred their acceptances for a year about what the process is like? I'm applying this cycle but there might be circumstances where I might have to do that and if anyone could tell me how they went about doing that through communicating with the schools it would be great!

Hey everyone! I actually applied last year, but ended up deferring for a year, so I will be starting my program at UMich in the fall of 2017! I thought posting my stats might be nice, because I was constantly evaluating other people last year who got accepted in an attempt to gauge my chances of also getting into the programs I wanted, BUT this is a new applicant pool, so who knows. Having been through this process, I'm happy to answer any questions!

Undergrad School: Oklahoma Christian University (graduating May 2016)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.91/3.84
Major/Minor: Biology with a Psychology minor and Spanish Proficiency credit
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken): V: 163 Q: 164 AWA: 4.0; (Oct. 24th)
Experience/Research (please, be brief):

- Health Talents International Medical Evangelism Training Program: spent six weeks living with host families in Guatemala and working in mobile clinics every day; educated communities on health and hygiene and shadowed American and Guatemalan physicians and dentists
- President of Honors Advisory Council and VP of Health Sciences club
- founding officer of Women in STEM
- college volunteer program at Texas Children's Hospital
- volunteered in free clinics in Oklahoma City sporadically throughout my undergrad

LOR: professor/head of the biology department at OC, Honors program director, MD in Guatemala I worked under for a summer in mobile clinics

Special Factors: Chose the most expensive school that accepted me, because I am not as practical as my older brother. :claps:

Interested in: Health Behavior and Education; Global Health
Applied (verified 11/23): U of Michigan (received 12/21), Emory (Global Health - 12/17), Tulane (International Health and Development) (11/24), UT Houston (12/4)
Accepted: Tulane (11/24), UTH (1/8), U of M (1/22), Emory - BSHE (2/10)
Rejected: none :horns:

Was it difficult to defer? What was the deferral process like? Thank you! and Congrats! :)

Quick question-can we see our SOPHAS gpa before submitting? If so, how do I find it? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question-can we see our SOPHAS gpa before submitting? If so, how do I find it? Thanks :)

If I remember correctly, I don't think your SOPHAS GPA is visible until after verification, but it shouldn't be too far off what you'd expect. It's definitely harder to predict if you have multiple transcripts, though.

If I remember correctly, I don't think your SOPHAS GPA is visible until after verification, but it shouldn't be too far off what you'd expect. It's definitely harder to predict if you have multiple transcripts, though.

Yeah I have 4 transcripts so I just wanted to see if what I calculated is what SOPHAS calculates

Thanks for your help!!

Hi everyone! I wanted to ask students who deferred their acceptances for a year about what the process is like? I'm applying this cycle but there might be circumstances where I might have to do that and if anyone could tell me how they went about doing that through communicating with the schools it would be great!

For me it was quite simple. I checked with the school before applying if deferral was an option, then after I was admitted there was a deferral form I had to fill out and it was granted for 1 year.

Was it difficult to defer? What was the deferral process like? Thank you! and Congrats! :)
It was surprisingly easy. I was emailing with the program coordinator at UMich about my financial concerns and how I wanted to gain more experience, so she mentioned that deferring was a possibility. I told her that sounded great, and she responded a few days later, said it was taken care of, and that I just needed to pay a $200 enrollment deposit, which I was able to do online with the click of a button.

Also, when I went to decline my other schools, I noticed several gave you the option to specify if you want to defer enrollment, so I think it would be a fairly easy process anywhere. I would speak with someone at the program first, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.64
Major/Minor: Microbiology
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160V, 164Q, 5W (Sep 2016)

Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
1 year paid lab tech/assistant for cell biology department
TA for microbio lab and micro online course (1 semester)
HIV/AIDS testing recruitment and prevention internship (1 semester)
Spring break water filter distribution volunteer - Nicaragua
Epidemiology /community engagement and research study linkage internship (summer)
Study/Volunteer abroad in Dominican Republic - 6 weeks (with their Ministry of Public Health)
Pediatric Cardiac ICU volunteer - (2 years)
a few other involvement things (volunteering, philanthropies, etc)

Applied: Boston (MPH - Epi and Biostats, submitted & verified 10/27), Columbia (MPH - Epi, submitted 10/11, verified 10/18), Emory (MSPH - Global Epi, submitted & verified 10/27), GWU (MPH - Epi, submitted 10/11, verified 10/18), Hopkins (MHS - Epi, submitted 12/1, verified 12/2), Michigan (MPH - Epi, submitted 11/17, verified 11/18) Yale (MPH - Epi of Microbial Diseases, submitted 11/17, verified 11/18)

Accepted: GWU
(11/11), Michigan (12/9), Boston (12/15), Yale (12/21), Hopkins (1/23), Emory (2/7), Columbia (12/8)
Rejected: none!!
Waitlisted: none!!

Attending: COLUMBIA!!!

Last edited:
Took the GRE and did TERRIBLE!! (would prefer not to say because I am very disappointed) The soonest I could retake it is October 22nd, is that too late? I don't know what to do. I honestly haven't done that bad on any of my practice tests. My gpa is average (3.33), I have experience (2 internships in the public health field, two weeks volunteering abroad), and my letters of rec are super strong. Minnesota is my top choice and now I'm so worried.

Took the GRE and did TERRIBLE!! (would prefer not to say because I am very disappointed) The soonest I could retake it is October 22nd, is that too late? I don't know what to do. I honestly haven't done that bad on any of my practice tests. My gpa is average (3.33), I have experience (2 internships in the public health field, two weeks volunteering abroad), and my letters of rec are super strong. Minnesota is my top choice and now I'm so worried.

If you retake and don't think the scores will come in time, submit your first scores and mention that you are retaking (they'll probably ask you to provide a date). You may not even have to submit your old scores so long as you mention in your app that you still have to take the GRE and provide the test date. Check out the SOPHAS FAQ to see what they say.

I took the GRE once in December and everything turned out well for me. I wouldn't suggest waiting as long as I did, but October definitely isn't too late. You can submit your apps while waiting on your GRE score as well

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad School: Large Public School - ranked in top 50
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.65
Major/Minor: Microbiology (Public Health and Health Disparities minors)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 160V, 164Q, ??W (Sep 2016)

Experience/Research
(please, be brief):
1 year paid lab tech/assistant for cell biology department - cancer cell research
TA for microbio lab and micro online course (1 semester)
HIV/AIDS testing recruitment and prevention internship (1 semester)
Spring break water filter distribution volunteer - Nicaragua
Epidemiology /community engagement and research study linkage internship (summer)
Study/Volunteer abroad in Dominican Republic - 6 weeks (with Ministry of Public Health)
Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Unit volunteer - (2 years)
Radiology volunteer (1 semester)
Dance Marathon (danced one year, volunteered one year, leadership involving community outreach this year)
Internal Philanthropy Chairman - social sorority
Director of Science Program at an all-girls sleep away camp (1 summer)
Relay for Life captain (1 year)
a few other involvement things

Interested in: Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, International Health, Health Disparities, Computer Modeling

Visited:
Boston, Columbia, Emory, George Wash, Harvard, Hopkins, Pitt, Yale
Applied: (apps in the works, all epi) Boston (MPH), Columbia (MPH), Emory (MSPH), George Wash (MPH), Hopkins (MHS), Yale (MPH), maybe USF (MPH) or UF (MPH) as backups?

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
I doubt you need those backups. You have a very high chance of at least getting into GWU, Boston, and Pitt. Those tend to be easier schools to get into. Have you checked the average admit stats for those schools to see where you stand in comparison?

deleted

Last edited:
It never hurts to have backups - and I get in state tuition for FL so both would be very cheap options for me
Although private schools have shocking sticker prices, they also tend to have excellent scholarship packages. I could've stayed in FL as well, but with scholarships, Columbia ended up being worth it for me.

Undergrad School: UC Santa Barbara
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA:
Major/Minor: Anthropology with a Biological Emphasis
GradGPA
(if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking it in two weeks, super nervous...
- 2 weeks last December volunteering in San Jose, Costa Rica at a government funded daycare center for low income families
- 6 months working as a research intern in the Population Health Sector of a hospital. Conducted online research and put together a Reproductive Health Narrative for Santa Barbara County
- 1 year as an intern/educator for Kids In Nutrition program at UCSB. We go to elementary school classrooms and teach the importance of healthy eating and better lifestyle choices to avoid cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

LOR: Professor in Health Geography who was on the admissions board a UW, Anthropology Professor, and Monitor and Evaluation Manager of the Population Health Sector in the hospital I work at.

Interested in: HIV/AIDs and STI (Reproductive Health Epidemiology and Surveillance)
Applied: all verified 9/2: University of Minnesota(MCH Epi), Boston University (Epi), Emory (Global), and Yale (Behavioral and Social)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am super nervous, yet super hopeful to get into programs. The GRE has been causing me a lot of stress as I try to prepare for it. If anyone could share some knowledge on people who got in with a lower score that would be awesome. Also if anyone knows the difficulty of getting into Emory Global that would also be great knowledge to share. The website said you need global experience, which I have a little, but I'm not sure if that is enough.

Hrm, in terms of Emory, I can tell you that they DO look at you holistically (Global Health was my 3rd choice, while my top choice/current department is BSHE). What that means is that if you have a weakness in one area of your application, you can compensate in another area. I can't give too much beyond my thoughts in general since I'm not on admissions, but your GPA was higher than mine going into the application process. If you can do decently on GRE Scores (My GRE Math was awful so I get the anxiety about the GRE for sure), that can only help you out. I know for me, my biggest concern was GPA/GRE scores for Emory, but in my specific case, I made up for it by my PS, recs, experience etc (and I took a year out of college to work).

Undergrad School: Liberal Arts School (CA)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.7/2.6
Major/Minor: Biology
GradGPA (if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT (127-127-129-128-511) ~86th Percentile
- Geomapping Trauma Patients Study ~4months
- Experimental Peds Immunotherapy Research ~6months (Paper to be published)
- Lab Assistant/Tutor ~4years
- Mentor for transfer students/incoming freshman ~3years
- Science Lab Coordinator @ 4yr Institution ~1year
- Premed Club Advisor ~1year
- Genetics Lab Instructor ~1year
- Pediatric Department Research Assistant ~9months (Presented research @ 3 national conferences)

Special factors???

Interested in: Loyola, GWU, USC, UCB, JHSPH, Arizona, Emory, NYMC, USF
Applied: GWU
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I submitted my SOPHAS application today!!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college, 2012 grad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.4, according to SOPHAS. Lower division is 3.15, upper is 3.64. I don't know my major GPA as my school took a somewhat alternative grading approach.
Major/Minor: Biology (General) / Educational Studies
GradGPA: 3.81, which puts my overall SOPHAS GPA at 3.5
Grad Studies: Masters in Education through an alternative program at a large public university, 2013 grad
GRE: 168V (98th percentile), 155Q (59th percentile), 5.5AW (98th percentile), taken May 2016

Experience/Research
:
- in college: program coordinator for sexual assault prevention program, student-athlete with many leadership positions, several campus jobs
- grad school: 1 year AmeriCorps service teaching middle school science in an urban district
- professional: taught middle & high school science in an urban district for 3.5 school years, including 2 years designing and teaching a public health class to grades 10-12. By the time I matriculate, will have taught middle school health for a year in a suburban district.

LORS: 1 undergrad professor (my adviser, I did ~1 year Educational Studies research with her), 1 grad professor/student teaching supervisor, 1 professional mentor

Special factors
- openly queer and transgender; interested in LGBTQ health specifically

Interested in: I applied only to community and behavioral health programs, but I am also interested in epidemiology of infectious disease (HIV), sexual/reproductive health, and biostat as it applies to those fields. My ultimate goal is to work in a community health setting that seeks to improve the mental, physical, and sexual health of transgender youth. I am not very interested in academia or research at this time, but it's possible that one day I'll continue to a PhD or DrPH.
Applied: Tufts, Harvard, Drexel, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, Colorado on 9/22. SOPHAS verified my transcripts and application on 9/29. Brown on 10/18.
Accepted: Pitt (11/11), Buffalo (11/14 +3k), Minnesota (12/20, & +12k on 2/21), Tufts (1/11), Drexel (1/28, +34k fellowship), Colorado (2/3 + 10k), Harvard (2/16), Brown (4/4 + 25% off tuition = ~21k)
Rejected: none :D
Waitlisted: none

DECISION: BROWN

Last edited:
I submitted my SOPHAS application today!!

Undergrad School: Top 5 liberal arts college, 2012 grad
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.5 (idk major GPA... probably the same)
Major/Minor: Biology (General) / Educational Studies
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.8
Grad Studies (if applicable): earned Masters in Education through an alternative program at a large public university, 2013 grad
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): 168V (98th percentile), 155M (60th percentile), 5.5AW (98th percentile) on GRE, taken May 2016
- in college: program coordinator for sexual assault prevention program, student-athlete with many leadership positions, several campus jobs
- completed 1 year AmeriCorps service teaching middle school science in an urban district
- taught middle & high school science for 3.5 school years, including 2 years designing and teaching a public health class to grades 10-12

LORS: 1 undergrad professor (my advisor, I did ~1 year Educational Studies research with her), 1 grad professor/student teaching supervisor, 1 professional acquaintance (a mentor I've known for ~4 years who is well-respected in the social work world and who helped me choose public health over social work)

Special factors
- openly queer and transgender; interested in LGBTQ health specifically

Interested in: I applied only to community and behavioral health programs, but I am also interested in epidemiology of infectious disease (HIV), sexual/reproductive health, and biostat as it applies to those fields. My ultimate goal is to work in a community health setting that seeks to improve the mental, physical, and sexual health of transgender youth.
Applied: Tufts, Harvard, Drexel, Buffalo, Pitt, Minnesota, Colorado on 9/22.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
This is so great! I think you background is perfect for what you want to do, and I can't wait to see where you end up! Good luck!

Can someone please tell me how to apply through WES? I'm an international student. I've filled out the form, not sure which payment option to choose and how to send the transcript. Any input will be helpful.
Thanku

Undergrad School: from a med school India
Undergrad GPA: 65%
Major/Minor:medicine
GradGPA (if applicable): 65%
Grad Studies (if applicable): from top 9 med school in India
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE V146Q153 A3. TOEFL: YET TO TAKE

1 yr internship in medical college
2 months in health camps
2 months in school camps
1 month in plastic surgery

Applied: (planning to apply) berkeley, UPenn, Yale, hopkins, drexel, UFL
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I m planning to apply for the above universities. and Im from India. Im a medical doctor but i didnot give USMLE steps. Planning for a career change into public health and work for WHO, UNICEF etc. SO im planning for top universities as I was told that chances willbe good for medical doctors in best univ. Please suggest me whether the above univ are ok or am I being too ambitious. I think its too late to retake GRE, though its a low score as I m yet to give TOEFL.

GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): GRE V146Q153 A3. TOEFL: YET TO TAKE

2 months in health camps
2 months in school camps

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I m planning to apply for the above universities. and Im from India. Im a medical doctor but i didnot give USMLE steps. Planning for a career change into public health and work for WHO, UNICEF etc. SO im planning for top universities as I was told that chances willbe good for medical doctors in best univ. Please suggest me whether the above univ are ok or am I being too ambitious. I think its too late to retake GRE, though its a low score as I m yet to give TOEFL.

What do you mean by 65%? You were in the 65th percentile in your graduating class? A 65% average in American education is a nearly failing grade (65% = D = 1.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale), which would not allow you to be admitted, but being in the 65th percentile means something different.

It may not be too late to retake the GRE. You should send these scores to be sure you meet admissions deadlines, but you could sign up to take it a second time and send the updated scores after the rest of your application has been submitted. I am not sure if all schools allow this, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

2 months in health camps
2 months in school camps

Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Agree with wwmmkk. I can't advise you on your GPA as 65% means nothing to me, but your GRE score is way too low for the programs you are planning to apply to. While most MPH programs do take a holistic approach to admissions, your med-related experience is not going to outweigh low GPA and test scores at high caliber schools such as Berkeley, Yale, and Hopkins. You also need to score high on the TOEFL (don't have experience with it, but international students from last year recommend 100 or higher) or you can forget about applying to these schools, or possibly anywhere. Please take @wwmmkk 's advice and call, call, call.

Hey zxcd098! You should use wes icalculator to calculate your gpa, though the criteria is not clear as the option for passing mark is only 36 whereas MBBS passing mark is 50. I think your gpa comes upto 3-3.2. Wish there was an option for 50, would have got accurate gpa.
P.S I'm looking for any programs with similar but little higher stats. Procedure to apply is different for us. Wish there was a site where the procedure is written down.

Last edited:
Gpa:3.2 (med graduate)
Gre:309( really wish I had more time)
Toefl: 110
I'm happy with any ceph accredited school, interested in a) infections disease b)stats and epidemiology c) health policy and management in this order.
Can someone give an insight to which universities with high acceptance rate I could apply to? I'm an international student(does that matter?).
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello guyz,
Thanks for the response. i have checked my GPA using WES icalculator, Its giving 3.2. our minimum pass mark is 50%.
And still should i back off from top unis with my GRE score or should i try,
as I am a med student some of them aren't even asking me a GRE score.
Thanks in advance

Hi fri4583, Ya its showing 3 on pass mark of 36.. I think it ll be even better GPA when they do actual conversion with 50% pass mark.

fri4583, if u want to get into MPH irrespective of the rank, you can search for many colleges which dont even take scores into consideration for med students

Hey I've been searching, but I'm not aware about the acceptance rate. I don't want to apply just to try my luck. I would appreciate any input from people who've been accepted/ know about the universities which is ceph accredited and has high acceptance rate, preferably with part time jobs/funds.
Being an international student matters in usmle/residency, I'm not sure whether the same holds here.

If you have the opportunity to get more practical work and research experience, I say go for it. I'm so glad I took a few years off between my undergraduate and degree and graduate (well, hopefully! :) ) Working full-time gives you an insight into the workforce, into the type of work you enjoy, the people you enjoy working with etc. that you can't get in college.

Old timer here. Gaining professional experiences prior to submitting your applications puts you in a good advantage when it comes to being considered for merit scholarships. If I were to do the app cycle again, I would have looked into more programs that were more financially friendly to my bank accounts for more choices but I'm glad where I ended up.

Last edited:
Hey peeps, med student trying to apply for an accelerated MPH degree. Haven't started the process yet though. Was wondering if you guys knew of any other schools that accept students like me?
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.88, state school
Major/Minor: Biology
Grad Studies: Medical Student
GRE: N/A
Experience/Research
:
- Club leadership
- Health screenings for underserved
- 1 year of microbiology research, 1/2 year of biology research
- General academic scholarships in both med school and undergrad
Special factors: Medical student, so looking for programs that accept my old MCAT or don't need entrance exams. Taking a leave of absence between 2nd and 3rd year.
Interested in: 1 year accelerated MPH degrees in Health Policy and Management or Epi
UC Berkeley, Hopkins, Columbia, Emory, Harvard (?), UCLA (?)
Applied: Gathering up app info atm
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Hey I've been searching, but I'm not aware about the acceptance rate. I don't want to apply just to try my luck. I would appreciate any input from people who've been accepted/ know about the universities which is ceph accredited and has high acceptance rate, preferably with part time jobs/funds.
Being an international student matters in usmle/residency, I'm not sure whether the same holds here.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2014-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1040622/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2015-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1092050/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mph-fall-2016-applied-accepted-waitlisted-rejected.1162837/

Take a look at these threads, and take note of people's stats, where they applied, and where they were accepted. This is the only way that you will be able to find the answer to your question on this forum. Also, research the schools so you know where you want to apply, and call them to see how competitive you are.

As for being an international student, USMLE is an exam, residency is a "job" requiring an H1-B visa, and MPH programs are educational requiring an F-1 visa. It is 100x easier to obtain an F-1 visa than an H1-B because it does not require an employer to sponsor you. Residency programs prefer not to sponsor visas, which is why it is such an uphill battle for IMGs.

Oh! And I wrote something in the Sticky threads pertaining to asking about funding. Please read it; I think you will find it very helpful.

Hello guyz,
Thanks for the response. i have checked my GPA using WES icalculator, Its giving 3.2. our minimum pass mark is 50%.
And still should i back off from top unis with my GRE score or should i try,
as I am a med student some of them aren't even asking me a GRE score.
Thanks in advance

It may not be too late to retake the GRE. You should send these scores to be sure you meet admissions deadlines, but you could sign up to take it a second time and send the updated scores after the rest of your application has been submitted. I am not sure if all schools allow this, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Agree with wwmmkk. I can't advise you on your GPA as 65% means nothing to me, but your GRE score is way too low for the programs you are planning to apply to. While most MPH programs do take a holistic approach to admissions, your med-related experience is not going to outweigh low GPA and test scores at high caliber schools such as Berkeley, Yale, and Hopkins. You also need to score high on the TOEFL (don't have experience with it, but international students from last year recommend 100 or higher) or you can forget about applying to these schools, or possibly anywhere. Please take @wwmmkk 's advice and call, call, call.

AH I submitted my application today! Just need those LORs to come in so SOPHAS can start verifying.

Terrified despite reading my application countless times there's a typo somewhere :p

Hey everyone, I'm a first year MPH HBHE student at the university of michigan and this thread was SO helpful for me last year, so if anyone has any questions about U of M feel free to PM me :)

Undergrad School: Public University Honors Program (one of the best honors programs maybe???)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.82
Major/Minor: Cellular Biology with Global Health and Sociology Minors
GradGPA
(if applicable): 4.00
Grad Studies (if applicable): Public Health (taken 3 Graduate classes: 2 in public health/culture and one in Social Statistics)
GRE: (10/7) 161V, 163Q, 5AW
2 summers of Cell bio research - 2 published articles as a secondary author (when i was pre-med haha)
Worked as a housing desk assistant since May 2016 (12-20 hours a week)
Summer Intern (2015) at Vanderbilt Program for LGBTI Health - First Authored a letter to the editor in AJPH
Founding (1 year ago) Member of local SOGI health education advocacy program -
1 year as research assistant at UGA college of public health - currently studying MSM health in the South (access, quality, etc.)
- cohort director is writing one of my rec letters - will be listed as a secondary author on one paper
1 semester of assistant TA for Honors Gen. Chem. Lab
Member of a student org. that performed safer sex programs for housing, fraternities, sororities, etc.
2+ years of volunteering at a local hospice house - feeding patients, assisting nurses, sitting with families.
Special factors??? - Gay American-Chinese Male (some programs specifically said they were looking for men...)
Leadership Scholarship from Honors, Phi Kappa Phi (Honors said this matters but I disagree),

LOR: Lab Director who was in the SBS dept. at Yale, Medical Sociology professor, and former Vandy Program co-director
Interested in: social health, SOGI health disparities, medical anthropology and sociology,
Applied (IP): Boston (SSB), Columbia (SMS), Emory (BHSE), UNC (HB), Harvard (HSB), Vanderbilt (HP), UTH (HSO), UNT (Epi)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What are y'alls opinions on scholarship competitiveness? I've heard GRE scores are used for mainly the preliminary rounds, but are they considered for merit scholarships?
Also how much do y'all think institutional prestige matters?
And wish me luck on the GRE haha - If i don't do that well, would I have time to retake it? I'm worried cause my earliest deadlines are Dec. 1, and seats aren't available till Nov. 2
Last question: should you make sure your transcripts and LORs are in SOPHAS about a month early to allow for their processing?

Last edited:
Undergrad School: UNO
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.22
Major/Minor: Biology/Psychology
GRE: 145 V 145 Q 4.5 AW
Experience/Research:
  • Volunteering for non-profit going on 2 medical mission trips to South Sudan, packing medicines, fundraising, etc. (9+ years)
  • Independent research study using SAS programming on survival data analysis (August 2016-May 2017)
  • Chemistry Stockroom Attendant and Student Supervisor (August 2015- Present)
  • Development Intern for South Sudanese non-profit organization (6 months)
  • Youth intern at church (summer)
  • Collegiate athlete (4 years)
  • Hospital volunteer in gift shop (9 months)
  • Hospital Elderly Life Program Volunteer (summer)
  • Founded student organization on campus and currently the president (March 2016-Present)
  • Numerous other volunteering...

Letters of Recommendation:
  • Chemistry Professor (PhD)
  • Boss - Chemistry department (PhD)
  • Independent Research Study Supervisor (PhD)
  • Medical doctor who has been on mission trips with me (MD)
Special Factors: I'm a Southern Sudanese and African-American woman (mother and father immigrated from South Sudan)

Interested in: Epidemiology and Global Health
Applied:
Colorado School of Public Health, Emory, SLU, Tulane, University of Illinois- Chicago, University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), Wash U in St. Louis

Accepted: Tulane - International Health and Development (12/20/16), St. Louis University - Global Health & Epi (1/4/17)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Undergrad School: University of Georgia - Honors Program
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.94/3.82
Major/Minor: Cellular Biology with Global Health and Sociology Minors
GradGPA
(if applicable): 4.00
Grad Studies (if applicable): Public Health (taken 3 Graduate classes: 2 in public health/culture and one in Social Statistics)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): Taking Oct. 7th - Practice Tests have been around 158 Q and 156 V.
2 summers of Cell bio research - 2 published articles as a secondary author (when i was pre-med haha)
Worked as a housing desk assistant since May 2016 (12-20 hours a week)
Summer Intern (2015) at Vanderbilt Program for LGBTI Health - First Authored a letter to the editor in AJPH
Founding (1 year ago) Member of local SOGI health education advocacy program -
1 year as research assistant at UGA college of public health - currently studying MSM health in the South (access, quality, etc.)
- cohort director is writing one of my rec letters - will be listed as a secondary author on one paper
1 semester of assistant TA for Honors Gen. Chem. Lab
Member of a student org. that performed safer sex programs for housing, fraternities, sororities, etc.
2+ years of volunteering at a local hospice house - feeding patients, assisting nurses, sitting with families.
Special factors??? - Gay American-Chinese Male (some programs specifically said they were looking for men...)
Leadership Scholarship from Honors, Phi Kappa Phi (Honors said this matters but I disagree),

LOR: Lab Director who was in the SBS dept. at Yale, Medical Sociology professor, and former Vandy Program co-director
Interested in: social health, SOGI health disparities, medical anthropology and sociology,
Applied (IP): Boston (SSB), Columbia (SMS), Emory (BHSE), UNC (HB), Harvard (HSB), Yale (SBS), Berkeley (HSB), Vanderbilt (HP), UTH (HSO), UNT (Epi)
These last two are for safety and price because Texas tuition is cheap.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

What are y'alls opinions on scholarship competitiveness? I've heard GRE scores are used for mainly the preliminary rounds, but are they considered for merit scholarships?
Also how much do y'all think institutional prestige matters?
And wish me luck on the GRE haha - If i don't do that well, would I have time to retake it? I'm worried cause my earliest deadlines are Dec. 1, and seats aren't available till Nov. 2
Last question: should you make sure your transcripts and LORs are in SOPHAS about a month early to allow for their processing?
1. At Columbia, it's only your GPA that is considered when selecting students for merit-based scholarships. Also, financial need is the only thing considered for institutional need-based aid.
2. Prestige does not matter, but employment metrics do. For example, Columbia Mailman has a 98% employment rate for graduates within 6 months of completing their degree.
3. You have time to retake, just allot time for scores to be sent.
4. Transcript processing varies greatly per student, but generally it takes long for almost everyone so get that done as soon as possible. LORs are posted to your application as soon as they're completed

1. At Columbia, it's only your GPA that is considered when selecting students for merit-based scholarships. Also, financial need is the only thing considered for institutional need-based aid.
2. Prestige does not matter, but employment metrics do. For example, Columbia Mailman has a 98% employment rate for graduates within 6 months of completing their degree.
3. You have time to retake, just allot time for scores to be sent.
4. Transcript processing varies greatly per student, but generally it takes long for almost everyone so get that done as soon as possible. LORs are posted to your application as soon as they're completed

Thanks! I guess I also was thinking about undergraduate institution prestige. Do you think it matters for admission and merit scholarships?

Undergrad School: University of California
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.19 /3.5
Major/Minor:
Human Development
GRE: Taking it in two weeks
Experience/Research:
-Spoke at two conferences
- 2 years research assistant
- 6 months Emergency Room Intern
- 6 months Operating Room Intern
- 2 years pharmacy technician
- 1 published paper as 1st author