MPH MPH for Epidemiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theBruceWayne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm approaching obtaining my B.S. in Public Health with a concentration in Epidemiology at UTSA. I've been researching Masters schools (since UTSA doesn't offer an MPH) and have ended up rather confused. I've seen various schools show that they have an MPH program while other say they have an MPH in Epidemiology etc. I would like to get into the Epidemiology field, will a "standard" MPH get me thru or will I need to look for another degree plan such as MSPH? Appreciate all answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you referring to UT San Antonio? There is an MPH program there - San Antonio is a regional campus for the University of Texas School of Public Health in Houston. An MPH is a type of degree, just like a BS. You can usually choose from several focus areas or "majors" including biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health, etc. Do a MPH if you want to do hands-on investigations, field work, etc. or do an MS if you want to do research or work in an academic setting.

Reactions: 1 user