MPH IN HEALTH POLICY TULANE VS UMD College Park

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yohonće

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently applied and was accepted to multiple public health programs and am having hard time deciding which one to attend. I applied for Health Policy (not with management just health policy) and have the aspirations of becoming a health policy lobbyist and influencing legislation.

Tulane is rated number 12 and is the first school of public health. The name carries more weight and is in a fun exciting city. However it seems that there would be limited policy opportunities.

vs

University of Maryland has only been open since 2007 but is already ranked number 22 and is only 10 minutes from DC which gives it an advantage since I want to do policy.

Both programs cost about the same for the first year since I'm out of state but Maryland will end up being 10,000-15,000 cheaper if I get in state tuition my second year.

I'm super indecisive because its very few programs that are strictly healthy policy based and I somehow was accepted into both of them but I don't know if I should worry more about rank or cost or location. '

Anybody with advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a graduate of the Tulane SPHTM, and I think you've done a pretty good job describing the major benefits of each program. If it were me, I would go with Maryland, for the proximity to D.C. and policy opportunities it would present, as you have mentioned.

Congrats and Good Luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
UMD will also give you a chance to network in person with many lobbying and policy oriented groups.

Would also strongly consider Georgetown's MPP program for lobbying or policy. They have a great reputation in the region (spouse went there).

Reactions: 1 user