General MPH/MHA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UpcomingOD2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about MPH/MHA degrees and was wondering where does one work at with an MPH/MHA degree? How stressful are their jobs? What's the starting salary for a new grad? Is the job field competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

MPH and MHA are pretty much the same degrees? I never thought of that. Well, I wouldn't do both. I was curious to know what both degrees can offer and who these degrees are for, like what particular type of individual should pursue it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I read more about the types of MPH degrees? I'm like a newbie and general population doesn't know much about what an MHA/MPH is nor what type of jobs they go into.

It depends on the concentration of the MPH. For example, I am in the health policy and management program and students go into health administration at hospitals (strategy, operations etc), policy positions, insurance companies, consulting, and tech start-ups. However, since our concentration requires several years of experience, the positions are generally more managerial level. The benefits of an MPH is you can cross over to more fields besides just hospitals. For example, if you wanted to work at a public health department, a foundation (like the gates foundation where several of our alumni work at), it is better to get an MPH.

Thanks for your responses! So pretty much anyone going for a MHA, they end up becoming a manager/director of a hospital and will be dealing with employees and making sure employees are doing their jobs.

Those with an MPH, they work on ways in preventing diseases. They are all about prevention because MD's don't have the time in investigating like how to prevent certain diseases from spreading.

I'm still sort of confused, but am I right so far on difference between what an individual with an MHA/MPH can do with their degrees?

How's the stress like with these careers? I'm sure there is a ton of paperwork, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses! So pretty much anyone going for a MHA, they end up becoming a manager/director of a hospital and will be dealing with employees and making sure employees are doing their jobs.

Those with an MPH, they work on ways in preventing diseases. They are all about prevention because MD's don't have the time in investigating like how to prevent certain diseases from spreading.

I'm still sort of confused, but am I right so far on difference between what an individual with an MHA/MPH can do with their degrees?

How's the stress like with these careers? I'm sure there is a ton of paperwork, right?

Read more about the field of public health here: http://www.apha.org/?gclid=CPvWpoaM_sECFcTm7Aodr3UA9g
Read more about the field of/programs in health administration here: https://www.cahme.org/
Centralized application service for PH is http://www.sophas.org/
Some health admin programs are IN schools of public health, and accept applications thru SOPHAS; others are affiliated with http://hampcas.aupha.org/home -- which is a somewhat younger centralized application service.

I agree with the comments of many of your other respondents -- if you must pursue an online program in health admin, choose one that is accredited by CAHME, unless you can identify an unaccredited program that is generally accepted by health related employers in its local market.

MHA is similar to an MBA except specific to healthcare, it teaches you how to manage a health organization like a nursing home, hospital, and physician practice. They have MHA programs, MBA with healthcare concentration, and dual MHA/MBA programs, they all end in pretty much the same boat, = management/administration.

A MPH will focus more on broad policy to help large health issues, they typically do large level statistics analysis. A large focus in MPH is Epidemiology. Epidemiology is the science that studies the patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions in defined populations. It is the cornerstone of public health, and informs policy decisions and evidence-based practice by identifying risk factors for disease and targets for preventive healthcare. They also have MPH with health admin/management tracks.

if you pursue health admin, make sure it is a CAHME accredited program, stay away from online programs. I cant speak for MPH, but I know the salaries in general for public health are not as high as administration. If you go to a CAHME accredited MHA program with a decent reputation, after graduation pursuing a hospital fellowship you can expect 50-60k avg starting, If you start a real job right away 70-80k starting (hard to do unless you had previous experience. Pay is mainly dependent on the size of the hospital and cost of living of the area you are in. A 100 bed hospital is going to have salaries much less than a 800 bed hospital. Salary grows with experience. The average size hospital ceo makes well north of 250-300k a year. Much higher in large systems like mayo, emory, john hopkins, etc, 7 figures+.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions

Reactions: 1 user