MPH or CRA career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Careercompass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advise/direction with regards to pursuing a career in research. I want to start somewhere...just reluctant to starting something and not liking it or it not being the right path towards my interests. I graduated with a Bachelor of science in biopharmaceuticals...since then, I haven't worked, and am currently a single mom. I am dedicated to start my career again, just don't know which door to knock, or where to start!
I was considering doing an online MPH as a start...but looking online at all the courses, it all seems like data analysis and biostatistics... what would my job be at the end.
I am interested in starting in positions having to do with research assistant etc. Particularly Oncology research, or naturopathic medicine.
Reading more about research assistant, I ran into the realm of CRA's and clinical research certification... can someone please advise me on the main differences in career (path differences, jobs available, family-life balance with kids, etc)
I am also very interested in alterative medicine (CAM)/naturopathic medicine, and figured, a MPH can also act as a good pivot...what can I do in that sector with a MPH degree? Is there anyway I can still get into the research part before getting a MPH? can I get some Research Organization to fund my MPH?
I get the feeling that investing in the MPH currently is better than random CRA courses...like I read that Michener or other online providers have courses for CRA certification and such, but since I am not that clear on that career in general(what my role would be, and how doable it is with kids)...I'm not sure that is the right path to start...and perhaps a MPH would be more encompassing/offer more opportunity...
What other options are there that I haven't thought of?!
I would highly appreciate some guidance to get me on the right foot here!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Careercompass, I used to be a CRA before starting public health grad school so I can tell you a bit about the field.

There are two sides of the CRA career: coordinators who work under MDs in hospitals and clinics and make sure research protocols are carried out; and research associates who work for drug companies, research consortiums, or contract research organizations and make sure the research protocol is being followed at all those different sites.

Associates are paid better (often way better) than coordinators and can often work from home once they prove themselves, but there is a ton of travel in that job and often on a very tight schedule. Associates are often also referred to as "monitors" because they travel to each hospital, review the study documents, and make sure the study protocol is being followed to the letter. Then they travel back to their home office and report on the study's progress and give coordinators a report of any problems to address. They also help recruit sites that might want to carry out the research, travel around training people at new sites in how to follow the protocol, inspect new sites to make sure they have the right facilities, and serve as the doctor and coordinator's point of contact with the company. They generally don't have contact with patients.

Coordinators are paid less than associates, in general, and also have titles like research assistant, senior coordinator, or study or project manager/leader depending on seniority. Coordinators may be supported by grants or contracts that they depend on for employment, but the plus side of this is that it's possible to break into coordinating by temping. Also, coordinators often end up close with at least one PI so it's not like they are just casually let go in my experience. Coordinators have to spend at least part of their time on site, but they don't have to travel much-- generally only for investigator meetings at the beginning and end of a study (and studies can last years), and depending on funding coordinators don't always go. Coordinators do all the administrative work of getting a study set up such as preparing the IRB application, getting any needed permission and agreement to help from others in the institution, making sure everyone on the study is trained, and creating study documents like consent forms and case report forms. Coordinators recruit patients once a study is set up, and often meet with them and help obtain informed consent. The prospects for advancement are better in bigger hospitals and research-heavy specialties such as oncology. However, you will often be carrying out a protocol created elsewhere in those departments and won't have input into study design. If you work in a smaller department or newer research program you will need to be more of a jack of all trades but you may get to help design studies because a doctor in your department came up with them. I coauthored papers as a coordinator.

It's common for people to move between these two sides in the course of their career, and also to do other research administration work such as working in an IRB or grant office. You don't need an MPH to break into this career but many people get one while working to help them advance. In fact, working in this career will count as relevant work experience that will help you get into better public health programs if you wait, and some employers (especially larger ones) will help pay for employees' health care related degrees. You need 2 years of full-time work in this career to become certified as a CRA, but it is possible to accumulate the hours if you work part-time too. I wouldn't spend money on CRA courses-- you don't need them to become certified (there is an exam for that, plus work experience) and if employers think a certain class is necessary they'll pay for it. My employer had all new hires do a 3-day course at Northwestern and a medical terminology class within the first 6 months or so of hire, and they paid. You need to be very organized and detail-oriented to work in either side of this career. Also, there are two different professional associations of CRAs-- SOCRA and ACRP-- so sometimes it's better to wait and see if people at your institution tend to go for one over the other.

I was never a hiring manager, but I did have input into research assistants that would be hired junior to me. Things that will help you get hired as a coordinator-- which is what I know more about-- include a relevant major, knowledge of medical terminology, some kind of undergrad research assistant experience, some experience that would make you good at recruiting (having been around patients or research volunteers before, experience working with the public or recruiting volunteers to something), decent writing ability, knowing Excel, and having used an electronic medical record before. Look at the websites for major hospitals in your area, especially ones known for research, and also poke around and see if those hospitals have their own temp programs. If there is anyone there who could possibly recommend you, definitely contact them. Tons of relatively unproven science-y recent grads want to be a research assistant for a year, so even having someone kind of know you can help a lot.

Reactions: 1 user