General MPH or MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kendrick lamar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pharmacy graduate, thinking about working in a non-traditional capacity either in city/state/fed government, or private health company/startup company capacity. I'm not really interested in pharmaceuticals, per say (as in, working in an industry setting) more so in clinical medicine, population health, etc. I've been considering getting the MPH and am wondering if this would qualify me to work or move up in a data analyst capacity as I am seeing some openings for data analyst in healthcare companies. My other consideration was to get a Masters in computer science as I hear that technology skills are becoming important and I think with my health professional degree, it could be a good asset. Anybody who may have more insight, I'm welcome to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you just want to go into data analysis, an MPH in biostats would probably suffice. I would really only suggest an MS if you plan to go into research. I don't know how well a Masters in Computer Science would set you up for work in clinical medicine or population health. Public health is definitely the better choice for those areas of study, in my opinion.