Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

MPH Programs in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by sthenige, 06.28.12.

1. sthenige

sthenige

Other Health Professions Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi everyone,

I have taken a look at a few threads on MPH programs in Chicago, but I cannot seem to find much information on anything beyond the MPH at UIC. Now, I currently live in Boston, which I realize is probably a better place to be to pursue an MPH, but I have wanted to move to Chicago for some time now and I am thinking that grad school could be a good opportunity to move there without putting a gap in my resume. Please note, my original plan has been to pursue an MPH ever since sophomore year of undergrad, so this is not a drastic change of plans, just a change of location in terms of my search for programs. As such, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for MPH programs in Chicago beyond Northwestern and UIC?

If some background on me would be helpful, I graduated from Tufts with a B.A. in Community Health and Sociology and a 3.88GPA. I have yet to take the GREs, but I am studying now and will take them soon. I am primarily interested in health policy, but also in epidemiology, and I think I am leaning towards epi due to the hard skills of the discipline. My original, non-Chicago list of schools was Columbia, Harvard, BU, Tufts, GWU. But now that I am realizing I want to spend a significant amount of time in Chicago, I think going to school there would be preferable. I guess my concern is the general lack of programs in the area as far as I can tell. Beyond UIC and Northwestern, it looks like Loyola Chicago has one as well.

Does anyone know of any other options to apply to in Chicago? Additionally, I have not been able to find any information on people's actual experiences at these programs beyond UIC; has anyone been to or know anything about the programs at Northwestern or Loyola?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help.
  2. LiteBear2011

LiteBear2011

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is living in Chicago an absolute must? Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) is a few hours away from Chicago by car/bus/train and has a pretty decent Epidemiology program.
  3. sthenige

sthenige

I would certainly prefer to live there, I was considering UMichigan as it is a few hours away, but I would be much happier in Chicago.

Is UIC really that looked down upon or something? Not that I really worry about rankings, but it is ranked similarly to George Washington.

I have to admit, I am a bit surprised that no one seems to know anything about Northwestern's MPH program. I would think that a well-respected school such as that would have a good program.
  4. Stories

Stories Hockey Scientist Moderator

Post Doc
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In general, universities which have MPH programs (but not full fledged schools of public health) are much smaller than the larger schools of public health, hence why these smaller programs aren't talked about as much.
  5. sthenige

sthenige

That does make sense, I was just hoping it wasn't a reflection of the quality of northwestern's program. I guess I will have to simply visit the campus and try to discuss with some faculty and see how it feels.
  6. Realistic

Realistic

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi there, just wondering if you've made any progress in this decision? I too am currently researching MPH programs and want some Chicago options because my husband is applying to MBA programs there. Very coincidentally, I also graduated from Tufts (clinical psych and child development) and grew up in Boston! Please let me know if you've moved forward in this process and found any valuable information. Thanks a bunch.
  7. sthenige

sthenige

Hi, I decided to PM as the post was getting a bit long... let me know if you have any more questions.
  8. ladybug508

ladybug508

There is Rush University, they have a medical center, but I do not know of the programs they offer. Might want to look into that?
  9. KARM12

KARM12 Super Member

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Northwestern's program is a part time evening program. They specifically state it is aimed toward current healthcare professionals. The degree requirements are a current BS or professional degreen in a health care discipline. Plus, they also specifically mention they require professional experience in healthcare.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal