MPH MPH Spring 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanrani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I thought I'd start this thread (even though it's a bit early in the game for most schools) for anyone who's thinking of applying or has started applying for any Spring 2017 MPH programs! I know that not all schools offer spring admission, but it worked out better for my schedule to try for a spring start instead of fall.

I've just copied the stats format from other threads because it seems to be pretty helpful. I know it can feel really intimidating to read these threads and see a lot of very good candidates out there; personally, I'm not a super strong candidate but I'm not really targeting any of the top MPH programs so hopefully something comes through.

Undergrad School:
small, private liberal arts school in the South
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (yikes? I'm unsure if I should discuss a drop in GPA due to dealing w/diagnosed anxiety/depression)
Major (&Minor): Biology
GradGPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad Studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GRE - 85th percentile verbal, 73rd percentile quant., 93rd percentile analytical writing (taken this past June, not planning to retake)
Experience/Research: (honestly my lack of research/lots of experience is my biggest concern)
- (idk if this really counts? but..) worked as a private nanny for 2 full years for a family with two small children
- member of my school's Beta-Beta-Beta (Biological) Honor Society and on the Honor Roll
- cardiology patient advocate and volunteer at a major downtown hospital for a full year (3 hrs a week)
- crisis survivor advocate and hotline monitor at one of the few rape and violence crisis centers in the city (last 10 months and still currently doing)
LORs: 2 professors (one of whom is my bio advisor, the other a professor who's classes I've enjoyed and I've got a good rapport with) and a former employer

Interested in:
behavioral/community health (or more specifically: maternal/child health), perhaps a global health certificate concentration if possible?
Applied: UAMS, USF, Florida International U, UPitt, U. Oklahoma, Tulane, UTSPH-Houston, Rutgers, LSU
Accepted: UPitt (8/16), USF (9/06), Tulane (9/14), LSU (9/29), Florida International U (10/13)
Rejected: UTSPH-Houston :(
Waitlisted:
U. Oklahoma, UAMS, Rutgers
Decision: USF - with a double concentration in Epidemiology and Maternal&Child Health

Feel free to respond to this and list your own info! It'd be great to talk to other potential Spring admission applicants (and feel each other's pain as we go through this tough process of applying to grad school)! Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hi..
good to c a post to get some info out of...i m an international medical graduate..plan on applying for mph in 2017..but i m at level zero regarding it..trying to gather some info as whn to apply..? how much tym does gre prep take...?

hi..
good to c a post to get some info out of...i m an international medical graduate..plan on applying for mph in 2017..but i m at level zero regarding it..trying to gather some info as whn to apply..? how much tym does gre prep take...?

Are you thinking about applying for Spring 2017 or later in the Fall (a year from now)? It might be too late to apply for Spring term (which is what I'm talking about in this thread).

GRE prep really depends on you - some people recommend to start studying 6 months or more in advance; I did a GRE prep course at my university campus that they offered and took the test 2 months afterwards. I'm not sure if I could've gotten a much higher score than I did, hence why I chose not to retake the test. Honestly I'd recommend taking a practice GRE test online (one that mimics the actual testing conditions) to get a feel for what you're finding most difficult (timing vs. verbal vs. math) and then focusing more on those problem areas. But others might have a different take on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also applying for 2017.

Undergrad School: small, private liberal arts school in the Midwest
Undergrad GPA: 3.87
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.6 (SOPHAS)
Grad Studies (if applicable): M.D at top 25 medical school. Currently in final year of residency.
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): n/a
Experience/Research:
- Currently in my final year of OBGYN residency
- prior to medical school, 2.5yrs as quality control scientist at a major pharmaceutical company
- 2 yrs med school research on maternal/child health resulting in publication
- obtained a certificate in global health while in med school
- spent 1 month in Beijing and inner Mongolia learning about traditional Chinese medicine
- currently participate in fundraisers for a missions hospital in Africa and will be going there for a few weeks as part of my residency electives
LORs: 3 attendings, one from assistant program director

Interested in:
global health with concentration in maternal/child health
Applied: Johns Hopkins online/part-time MPH (application complete 7/12)
Accepted: Hopkins! (8/9)

I only applied to Hopkins because it's the only one that fits my work schedule. I applied late in the process, but hoping for good news. Good luck to everyone applying !

Last edited:
Just literally got my acceptance email from Hopkins ! So happy, wohoooo!!!

hi..

I am very confused. I've provided you with some very useful information to point you in the right direction, and there are some very useful links on this website as well as many useful threads you can search through. You should not be at level zero, as you have several amazing sources at your disposal. I know you have internet, or you wouldn't be able to post on here, so what is the problem? Are you not willing to put in the work to find all the information you need? If you are serious about MPH programs, you need to improve on this, as the degree involves a lot of work to earn and no one is going to do it for you. I used google and SDN to bring myself up from level zero to level 90. The other ten percent came from calling programs that interested me. No one held my hand throughout the process. It's perfectly fine to ask questions (and is even encouraged), but you have to put in some effort too.

Just literally got my acceptance email from Hopkins ! So happy, wohoooo!!!

OHMYGOSH congratulations!!!! You seemed like a really great candidate, and it's so good that Hopkins got back to you pretty quickly. All the best for your future endeavors! :)

is it late to apply to program will start from spring?

and I have DAT but not GRE and I do not plan to take GRE because I have no energy to put my best on GRE because I put them on DAT.

Do you guys have any infor of Master program that accept also DAT instead of GRE?

I have searched information in SDN about MPH but it is really hard to find what I want to know so

I interest in dental school and will apply it after master program.
what is really MPH teaching? - what do I learn?

Thank you so much for reading

and I have DAT but not GRE and I do not plan to take GRE because I have no energy to put my best on GRE because I put them on DAT.

Do you guys have any infor of Master program that accept also DAT instead of GRE?

I have searched information in SDN about MPH but it is really hard to find what I want to know so

It's not too late to apply to a spring program! In fact, the SOPHAS application for the 2016-2017 cycle hasn't even opened yet (it will in a few days), which is what you use to apply to MPH programs, and on that you can search for with programs have spring admissions (at least the ones that use the SOPHAS service).

I'm not sure about schools that may take the DAT in place of the GRE (I'm sure there might be some, but whether they have spring admission cycles or not is something I don't know). Hopefully some will - it might be helpful to try and find any spring admissions programs that you're interested in and reach out to admissions people there, to see if they'll waive the GRE in favor of your DAT.

It's really easy to find info about what an MPH is and what it's useful for - just use Google (many of the program websites will give you details on the field of public health and their MPH programs AND info on specific areas/concentrations within the MPH programs). And ask yourself - why public health right now? what will an MPH contribute to your future goals if you want to be a dentist afterwards? (Maybe after doing research you'll decide to wait until the Fall Admissions cycles to apply, or you'll decide that an MPH is not for you and just focus on dental school. Or maybe not.)

It's not too late to apply to a spring program! In fact, the SOPHAS application for the 2016-2017 cycle hasn't even opened yet (it will in a few days), which is what you use to apply to MPH programs, and on that you can search for with programs have spring admissions (at least the ones that use the SOPHAS service).

I'm not sure about schools that may take the DAT in place of the GRE (I'm sure there might be some, but whether they have spring admission cycles or not is something I don't know). Hopefully some will - it might be helpful to try and find any spring admissions programs that you're interested in and reach out to admissions people there, to see if they'll waive the GRE in favor of your DAT.

It's really easy to find info about what an MPH is and what it's useful for - just use Google (many of the program websites will give you details on the field of public health and their MPH programs AND info on specific areas/concentrations within the MPH programs). And ask yourself - why public health right now? what will an MPH contribute to your future goals if you want to be a dentist afterwards? (Maybe after doing research you'll decide to wait until the Fall Admissions cycles to apply, or you'll decide that an MPH is not for you and just focus on dental school. Or maybe not.)

I second the use of Google. It's a great tool for finding out, well, pretty much anything. It's actually how I got introduced to this site! I recommend using Google to figure out what schools accept DAT over GRE.

Undergrad School: Camden County College, Temple University, California Baptist University
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Major (&Minor): BS in Public Health, AS in Biology
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): N/A. I only wanted to apply to schools of public health that were 1) CEPH-certified and 2) did not require standardized test scores.
Experience/Research: Patient financial counseling at Johns Hopkins Hospital (7 months), insurance counseling at a volunteer health clinic (60 hours). Miscellaneous: former pharmacy technician, former veterinary assistant. No research experience.

LORs: 2 supervisors (administrators) at Johns Hopkins Hospital, the director and chair of the public health program at CBU, and one other public health professor.

Interested in:
Health care access, Health promotion, Health advocacy, Health policy, Health administration
Applied: University of Maryland, College Park
Accepted: University of Maryland, College Park (11/7/2016)
Rejected: N/A.
Waitlisted:
N/A.
Decision: University of Maryland - Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice and Policy

Undergrad School: Foreign trained dentist (Bangladesh, DU)
Undergrad GPA: Submitted for WES evaluation
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): n/a
Experience/Research: a) 1 year internship from a dental hospital
b) 1 year assisting intern in a dental chamber
LORs: 3 professors

Interested in:
health promotion, health policy, public health nutrition, global health
Applied: Planning to apply for New York Medical College, University of Maryland.
Accepted: n/a
Rejected: n/a
Waitlisted: n/a

Decision: n/a

I only want to apply to schools of public health that are 1) CEPH-certified and 2) does not require standardized test scores.
I have completed my GCE O'Levels and A'Levels from an international school and my certificates have been issued from the University of Cambridge.
Moreover, my language of instruction for BDS was English.
Am I aiming too high?

I'm afraid you are too late to apply for Spring 2017 as the semester has already begun. I suggest applying next Spring. You also may have a shot at applying for this fall if you can take the GRE on time (I highly suggest taking this exam if possible, as it will open many more doors for you). Check school deadlines to see what your options are.

Hey y'all! I thought I'd start this thread (even though it's a bit early in the game for most schools) for anyone who's thinking of applying or has started applying for any Spring 2017 MPH programs! I know that not all schools offer spring admission, but it worked out better for my schedule to try for a spring start instead of fall.

I've just copied the stats format from other threads because it seems to be pretty helpful. I know it can feel really intimidating to read these threads and see a lot of very good candidates out there; personally, I'm not a super strong candidate but I'm not really targeting any of the top MPH programs so hopefully something comes through.

Undergrad School:
small, private liberal arts school in the South
Undergrad GPA: 3.1 (yikes? I'm unsure if I should discuss a drop in GPA due to dealing w/diagnosed anxiety/depression)
GRE or Other Test Score (if applicable): GRE - 85th percentile verbal, 73rd percentile quant., 93rd percentile analytical writing (taken this past June, not planning to retake)
Experience/Research: (honestly my lack of research/lots of experience is my biggest concern)
- (idk if this really counts? but..) worked as a private nanny for 2 full years for a family with two small children
- member of my school's Beta-Beta-Beta (Biological) Honor Society and on the Honor Roll
- cardiology patient advocate and volunteer at a major downtown hospital for a full year (3 hrs a week)
- crisis survivor advocate and hotline monitor at one of the few rape and violence crisis centers in the city (last 10 months and still currently doing)
LORs: 2 professors (one of whom is my bio advisor, the other a professor who's classes I've enjoyed and I've got a good rapport with) and a former employer

Interested in:
behavioral/community health (or more specifically: maternal/child health), perhaps a global health certificate concentration if possible?
Applied: UAMS, USF, Florida International U, UPitt, U. Oklahoma, Tulane, UTSPH-Houston, Rutgers, LSU
Accepted: UPitt (8/16), USF (9/06), Tulane (9/14), LSU (9/29), Florida International U (10/13)
Rejected: UTSPH-Houston :(
Waitlisted:
U. Oklahoma, UAMS, Rutgers
Decision: USF - with a double concentration in Epidemiology and Maternal&Child Health

Feel free to respond to this and list your own info! It'd be great to talk to other potential Spring admission applicants (and feel each other's pain as we go through this tough process of applying to grad school)! Best of luck to everyone!

Hi! Thanks for posting your stats, I'm in a very similar situation and its really helpful to see that people with similar stats are getting in. I'm applying to USF Epidemiology for the Summer as well a other programs Fall programs... just curious, did you end up writing an addendum or explaining your GPA at all? I have an upward trend on my GPA but am still pretty worried about it.