About the ads

MPH - Stand alone Degree?

Discussion in 'Public Health Degrees (Masters and Doctoral)' started by smmed, Jan 27, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. smmed

smmed

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am wondering what people's opinions are of an MPH as a "stand alone" degree (ie, not attached to an MD, etc.). I am considering med school, however many of my interests fall in the public health arena. It seems to me that employment opportunities might be somewhat restricted with an MPH alone... what has been the experience of any recent MPH grads out there? Is it worth putting in the time/$$ for an MD when my ultimate career goals would entail population-focused work?

Thanks for your input!!
  2. tt13

tt13 New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i was introduced to several MPH-ers a while ago. One works for the department of health, one works for a non-profit organization, and one is an MD doing residency.

essentially, i think it's all about what you want to do. unless you want to practice clinically, why waste 4 more years to learn all the sciences that you would never utilize?

there's a pretty wide spectrum as to what career path you could choose with an mph.
  3. Generals

Generals

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In my opinion, NO school is worth the time and money unless you know what you will do with it and plan to put to use the information and skills that you learn. That being said, there are tons of ways to use the MPH as a stand alone degree. Check out the sticky on public health websites to find some particular uses for the degree.
  4. Reimat

Reimat Friend of talking skulls

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Agreed - if you're planning to get your MD and want to get a MPH, you can find residency programs that will pay for you to get the degree during residency. Also, many schools have scholarships for med students to take time to get the degree.

As a stand-alone degree public health and health prevention are growing fields and the job market for the MPH skill set is looking bright!
  5. Skymastre

Skymastre

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not sure about necessarily knowing exactly what you want to do w/ your MPH before you go, just make sure you know what your general interests are.

I got my MPH two years ago at Emory. Since then I've worked for the Cancer Society and Harvard, and recently ended up applying for med school. There are so many opportunities to serve with your MPH...just make sure you want to serve!