MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Honeeplz3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings lovely people,

Starting my PGY-1 year in a southern program. There's a chance I may need to take a gap year before starting my CA-1 year for reasons I won't go into. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could go for information about MPH programs that are online or mostly online and only take a year to complete. I've tried researching this and it's surprisingly time consuming and wanted to see if anyone knew of something that could help.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What about getting a masters in pain management online, which at some universities is only about 1 year long? For eg:

http://sydney.edu.au/courses/master-of-medicine-pain-management

Currently it's expensive but due to the exchange rate you'd get something like 20 to 25% off if paying in USD.

I could be wrong but I think a masters in pain would help more than an MPH if you ever decide to do a pain fellowship.

If you have other goals, then an MPH might be better.

What about getting a masters in pain management online, which at some universities is only about 1 year long? For eg:

http://sydney.edu.au/courses/master-of-medicine-pain-management

Currently it's expensive but due to the exchange rate you'd get something like 20 to 25% off if paying in USD.

I could be wrong but I think a masters in pain would help more than an MPH if you ever decide to do a pain fellowship.

If you have other goals, then an MPH might be better.

That's not how prices or exchange rates work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough. But that's also why I ballparked it. It's not exact, you have to pay certain additional fees, etc. But based on current rates it should be around there, give or take. No guarantees for the future of course, not even tomorrow! (I know since I'm in Australia and regularly buy stuff using US accounts and in USD.)

1 AUD = 0.77 USD. With exchange costs, should be close to 0.80.

That doesn't change the fact that an MPH is much better viewed in the US. It says: "I know enough about statistics to be able to disguise bull**** as research."

Reactions: 1 users
MPH = better chance of public policy or admin jobs = no clinical headaches, likely no lawsuits, probably more interesting

if it takes more than a year then just ask the PD if you can delay CA-1 until you finish. i question any PD that doesn't encourage education. also, i'd try to get it at a university program that's near where you are. maybe more money but will look better on the CV than an online degree. just my 2c

Reactions: 1 users
1 AUD = 0.77 USD. With exchange costs, should be close to 0.80.

That doesn't change the fact that an MPH is much better viewed in the US. It says: "I know enough about statistics to be able to disguise bull**** as research."

My point is that exchange rates have nothing whatsoever to do with prices. (quickly changing exchange rates are different)

It's like saying that running 1 mile in the US is easier because it's 1.6km everwhere else and 1 is less than 1.6.

The units are irrelevant. The underlying value is fixed. Price differences have a lot of factors but the arbitrary value/unit of various currencies is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Guys,

So I am currently a 19 year old senior graduating next summer from the University of South Florida with my Bachelors in Public Health Degree with a minor in Management. I have began my studying process for the GRE and will be starting an internship at a non-profit AIDS organization. I have a 3.35/4.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale and a few professor that are willing to give me great recommendations. I am considering apply to grad school for my MPH with a concentration in Health Policy Management. I have a few questions however. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

1. Is my gpa a decent one to get into any MPH programs?
2. Are there any programs here in Florida or just the south that any of you recommend?
3. Will the few C's I earned as a dual enrolled student during high school in community college really affect my chances?
4. I was at first a nursing major but switched...is the new career path ive chosen just as reliable?

Last edited:
My point is that exchange rates have nothing whatsoever to do with prices. (quickly changing exchange rates are different)

It's like saying that running 1 mile in the US is easier because it's 1.6km everwhere else and 1 is less than 1.6.

The units are irrelevant. The underlying value is fixed. Price differences have a lot of factors but the arbitrary value/unit of various currencies is irrelevant.
There was an interesting back and forth exchange posted on a watch forum about a pre owned luxury watch a while back where the well known prospective buyer was arguing that the price being asked in £ was too high because of the currency conversion (£1 was equal to $1.5 dollars) so that was too many pounds as 1.5 ($) is worth way more than 1 (£). Several people tried to explain that he didn't understand what he was saying. It was hilarious. I don't know how someone so dumb could afford a $20k+ watch. He was absolutely convinced he was correct and the seller and others were nuts and didn't understand finance. Frightening.