MS in Mental Health Counseling to PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyjoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found a Master's of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. It is CACREP. I want to become licensed, work for a few years, then apply for my PhD in clinical psychology. Do you think this would be possible? I have research experience, and plan on getting more, I just want to make sure this is possible. The director of the program told me it is since it is CLINICAL mental health. He also said master's-level therapists can diagnose and give assessments (I thought they couldn't). Any insight or personal experience on going from a licensed counselor to a PhD program would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is possible for you to apply to PhD programs in clinical psychology having done an MS in CMHC. Whether you will gain admission, which is what I think you are really asking, is hard to say. As you know, PhD programs in clinical psychology can be quite competitive, although just how competitive varies by program.

I'm in a counseling psych PhD program and half of the students we admit (we admit 7-8 per year) usually have a master's in psychology, counseling or something similar, sometimes they are licensed. PhD programs in clinical psychology may view the MS in CMHC differently though. I imagine it would depend on the program.

I don't think you will necessarily be any more or less competitive than you would coming straight from a BA/BS program, although this will obviously vary by program. The important elements would still apply: get plenty of research experience, clinical experience (which you will have gotten in the master's program), a well-written personal statement, outstanding letters of recommendation, high GPA and high test scores, etc.

You may also discover if you decide to pursue the master's that you are satisfied being a CMHC and decide not to go forward with the doctorate.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! I just wanted to make sure it would not inhibit me in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! I just wanted to make sure it would not inhibit me in any way.

Nope, I wouldn't think it would inhibit you in most places, I just don't know that it'll help a whole lot (at least directly). Although if nothing else, should you choose to practice at the masters level, as was said above, it'll give you some first-hand knowledge as to whether or not that career path is a good fit with you.

Nope, I wouldn't think it would inhibit you in most places, I just don't know that it'll help a whole lot (at least directly). Although if nothing else, should you choose to practice at the masters level, as was said above, it'll give you some first-hand knowledge as to whether or not that career path is a good fit with you.

Having a masters in counseling can be a boon for a lot of counseling psych PhD programs. It's only required for a small handful of them, but it can help at others as well.

I (will) have a masters in CMHC and I was recently accepted to 2 (at least) programs in Counseling Psych. On my interviewing tour, I meet a lot of people with masters (some with licenses). I would say that Counseling Psych programs are more likely to see this as an advantage (compared to clinical). I would recommending looking at the percentage of people accepted with masters (sometimes via the program website. I used the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology).

Just to be prepared for future, a question I received a lot was why I wanted to receive a PhD if I could practice on the masters level. So be prepared to answer that and make it clear on your personal statement along with your interest in research.

Are there any threads on here that discuss going from a master's in counseling to a doctoral in clinical psychology? It would make me feel better to know someone has done this.

Like PsychCrazied, I was also just accepted to 2 Counseling Psych phd programs having just completed my MS in Mental Health Counseling.

I entered a Counseling Psych PhD after getting my MA in counseling, and recieved offers at both clinical and counseling psych phd programs. Totally doable. MANY couns. psych programs only accept post-masters students. Feel free to pm any specific quesions my way.

I'm sort of what you will be in the near future. I have my MA in CMHC and will be licensed this year. I've always had the desire to continue on, but I figured I would give practicing a go first. This last year and a half has been a whirlwind of experience acquisition that I wouldn't trade for anything. However, I've realized how much I miss preparing for something great and how limited I felt and continue to feel when it comes to providing care for my clients. Do you see yourself feeling this way? Any body else?

I actually worked as a Drug and Alcohol counselor for a year after my AS in Addictive Disorders, now having completed my BS in Marriage and Family I've begun my MS in CMHC. I am again currently working in the field of recovery while I go to school and I see younger students sometimes put off working to pursue higher degrees and it's easy to see that fear of actually practicing is a major contributor. Truth is I've had hairdressers that were better therapists than some actual therapists I've seen. Book knowledge is great but application knowledge is vital. This also holds true if your going the research route. Research done by those who actually apply it as opposed to those who live in theory seems far more valuable. If you feel compelled to be in this field than BE here. Don't hide behind letters when there is a world of people who just need to be heard.
Btw, I will hurdle this masters bit and likely get my PhD as well but I'm certainly not going to let school get in the way of my education.

I don't think you will necessarily be any more or less competitive than you would coming straight from a BA/BS program

A licensed masters level counselor would absolutely be more competitive than someone with just a BA/BS.

A licensed masters level counselor would absolutely be more competitive than someone with just a BA/BS.
It depends on the program. Some research intensive programs don't really care whether someone is licensed or not, they just want to know that you can do research.

It depends on the program. Some research intensive programs don't really care whether someone is licensed or not, they just want to know that you can do research.

Oh I'm sure, and for those programs, they have a very difficult time when their BA students can't find pracs. Meanwhile a licensed MS clinician who has thousands of hours of clinical experience can get into a prac without any problems.

Oh I'm sure, and for those programs, they have a very difficult time when their BA students can't find pracs. Meanwhile a licensed MS clinician who has thousands of hours of clinical experience can get into a prac without any problems.

Students from these programs rarely have a hard time finding pracs. Their programs generally have contracts/agreements with many of the practicum placements in the area.

There isn't a difference between MA/MS and BA/BS individuals in the ability to obtain practicum placement during doctoral training.

There isn't a difference between MA/MS and BA/BS individuals in the ability to obtain practicum placement during doctoral training.

Indeed. if anything, the two large AMCs in my area during grad school only took students with good research backgrounds. Also, to be honest, there is a stigma against people with "thousands" of hours of clinical work during prac and internship. These people tend to have minimal supervision and bad habits that are hard to re-train the right way. I only consider well-rounded applicants for prac and internship placements at my site.

Reactions: 2 users
Students from these programs rarely have a hard time finding pracs. Their programs generally have contracts/agreements with many of the practicum placements in the area.

Depends, not all programs have contracts/agreements with prac placements. In many states, grad students have to find their own pracs, and it involves a highly competitive application process. Based on my own experience, students with more clinical hours on their CV have an easier time obtaining pracs that involves clinical work.

Last edited:
Depends, not all programs have contracts/agreements with prac placements. In many states, grad students have to find their own pracs, and it involves a highly competitive application process. Based on my own experience, students with more clinical hours on their CV have an easier time obtaining pracs that involves clinical work.
Students applying for practicums is a separate issue from faculty at programs approving the sites to ensure that they meet the training requirements consistent with APA accreditation/training needs. If you are in a program and your faculty don't approve of the site/training/hours, you don't get to use it to count towards your training (and yes, we do get to control that via the DCT review of APPIC hours and advisor monitoring). Sites that don't have any sort of agreement with sites / don't monitor the sites are unlikely to be of high quality since this is a major quality control issue for ensuring good training - not just 'more' training.

BA/BS vs MA/MS doesn't predict finding practicum at good schools. Maybe it does when you attend Junk U. - but don't do that and you'll be better off anyway.

Must be regional then. It's been the opposite where I have trained/worked.

Maybe it does when you attend Junk U. - but don't do that and you'll be better off anyway.

Haha. Not talking about Junk U. Im referring to good APA accredited doc programs in clinical or counseling Psy. And yes, I am referring to the prac issue. Many APA accredited programs actually only provide their students with a list of prac sites, and then its up to the students to apply and acquire the position on their own. It usually involves a very competitive process because there are many students applying for very few spots. Again this is based on my own personal experience, but generally, students with more clinical experience tend to be a lot more competitive for clinical practicum positions. So to bring this back to the original question, if you have an MS/MA in counseling or clinical Psy and prior clinical experience will make it easier for you in the program (at least the pracs component) in comparison to someone with just a BA/BS. This might not be the case at your program or your region, but it doesn't mean that its not the case at other programs/regions.