MS in Pharmacology Helpful to Getting into Pharm School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asianpear38

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm a senior at UIC and my grades for my pre-req classes are less than stellar. I was actually a guaranteed student for pharmacy school, but my dad lost his job and everything snowballed from that. Bottom line, my grades dropped and my program has no leniency, so now I'm worried that I can't get into UIC Pharmacy on my own.

I am an anthropology major getting high (or highest, not sure yet...) departmental distinction. My pre-req grades are as follows: gen chem 1 and 2 - A, gen bio 1 - A, gen bio 2 - B, orgo 1 and 2 - C, orgo lab - B, anatomy 1 - C, physics 1 - B, econ - A. I'm taking anatomy 2 and physics 2 this coming semester. I have volunteered at hospitals, researched for a couple of years, and volunteered in Peru at free clinics for a couple of weeks. I also have extracurriculars, mostly work, but no leadership positions and pretty much no experience in pharmacy (I worked one summer before college as a pharm tech). I got a 72 on my PCAT without studying, so I'm going to retake it early in January and send it in.

I'm also graduating a year early, so I was thinking that if I don't get in this year, I was going to do a one-year master's program in something science related. I'd like to explore my options anyway. I was thinking of doing a MS in pharmacology. Would that help me or will it be pointless? And if it's a waste of my time, what other master's can I consider? Keep in mind that my science GPA isn't that great, so I need programs where I am most likely going to be accepted. Or should I just not worry about a master's because I still have a shot at getting into UIC's pharmacy school on my own?

Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I'm a senior at UIC and my grades for my pre-req classes are less than stellar. I was actually a guaranteed student for pharmacy school, but my dad lost his job and everything snowballed from that. Bottom line, my grades dropped and my program has no leniency, so now I'm worried that I can't get into UIC Pharmacy on my own.

I am an anthropology major getting high (or highest, not sure yet...) departmental distinction. My pre-req grades are as follows: gen chem 1 and 2 - A, gen bio 1 - A, gen bio 2 - B, orgo 1 and 2 - C, orgo lab - B, anatomy 1 - C, physics 1 - B, econ - A. I'm taking anatomy 2 and physics 2 this coming semester. I have volunteered at hospitals, researched for a couple of years, and volunteered in Peru at free clinics for a couple of weeks. I also have extracurriculars, mostly work, but no leadership positions and pretty much no experience in pharmacy (I worked one summer before college as a pharm tech). I got a 72 on my PCAT without studying, so I'm going to retake it early in January and send it in.

I'm also graduating a year early, so I was thinking that if I don't get in this year, I was going to do a one-year master's program in something science related. I'd like to explore my options anyway. I was thinking of doing a MS in pharmacology. Would that help me or will it be pointless? And if it's a waste of my time, what other master's can I consider? Keep in mind that my science GPA isn't that great, so I need programs where I am most likely going to be accepted. Or should I just not worry about a master's because I still have a shot at getting into UIC's pharmacy school on my own?

Thanks, guys!
I recommend at least try applying to some schools first. You can also write about your situation in your personal statement. With grades like that and a 70+ on the PCAT, you should get a couple of interviews. There have been people with lower grades and PCAT scores that have been accepted in pharmacy school.