MS in Physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but it appears to be very helpful for those who are still studying or those who want to study further.

I have a few questions. Can anyone tell me the universities that still run
MS in PT ?
I live in NJ and am a foreign grad,so in order to get an NJ PT license I need
to either go for entry level DPT or MS in PT.
Has anybody finished their MS and received their NJ PT license?
Also please tell me the schools that help finish the programs (MS) in less time.
I know a lot of schools have stopped running MS. But is their anyone who has received their NJ license after completing their MS recently?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The University of Pittsburgh offers a MS in PT for foreign grads as well as an entry level DPT program. Heres the link good luck to you.... www.shrs.pitt.edu

Can anyone suggest me that if I want to get NJ state PT license should I go for MPT or DPT(entry level). I already have my bachelors from India.

I need to make a decision in order to apply soon to universities.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the remaining MPT programs in the USA according to the APTA.org website:

California California State University, Fresno (A4, D5, F1, PU) California State University, Long Beach (A4, D5, F1, PU) California State University, Northridge (A4, D5, F1, PU) California State University, Sacramento (A4, D5, F1, PU) North Carolina Western Carolina University (A4, D5, F1, PU) Winston-Salem State University (A4, D5, F1, PU) Puerto Rico University of Puerto Rico - Medical Sciences Campus (A4, D5, F1, F6, PU) Texas University of Texas at El Paso (D5, F1, PU)

For future reference if you go to the apta.org's school list(http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT), you can filter by certain categories by clicking on "search pt schools by key codes"

To answer your other question, im pretty sure you can get an NJ license with any degree, MPT or DPT. You just have to apply to sit for the NJ license exam. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here.

Thank you so much for the reply and the links.

As mentioned earlier I am a graduate from India. Acc to NJ PT rules all degrees gained after Jan 2003 will have to go for an entry level DPT. It is not clear if they would accept MS PT.
I have graduated in May 2003. I live in NJ so I was thinking of finding schools
closer to NJ.
What should be a good option DPT or MSPT?
Sorry to repeat the questions again. :confused:

Thank you so much for the reply and the links.

As mentioned earlier I am a graduate from India. Acc to NJ PT rules all degrees gained after Jan 2003 will have to go for an entry level DPT. It is not clear if they would accept MS PT.
I have graduated in May 2003. I live in NJ so I was thinking of finding schools
closer to NJ.
What should be a good option DPT or MSPT?
Sorry to repeat the questions again. :confused:

My understanding is that since the DPT is an entry-level degree, you would not be able to enroll since you already have a BS in Physical Therapy. To be able to sit for the boards you would need to take classes that you did not take there that DPT students take here (I believe primarily undergrad classes), and there is a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy involved. Some programs like PITT offer MS degrees for foreign trained students, however I am not sure if that would qualify you to sit for the board exam. My advice would be to contact a local school and figure out how this works.

hey thanks again for your quick reply. But I already have a NY state license.
But I cannot get a NJ license. So in order to get a NJ license I am confused what to do?
Whether to go for MS or DPT, cos NJ state does not accept t-DPT.

Also what is the full form PITT?

thanks

Bless all

hey thanks again for your quick reply. But I already have a NY state license.
But I cannot get a NJ license. So in order to get a NJ license I am confused what to do?
Whether to go for MS or DPT, cos NJ state does not accept t-DPT.

Also what is the full form PITT?

thanks

Bless all

entry level means that you need to start all over again. if you do MS, u will still not be able to get N.J. P.T. license. you can call NJ Board and confirm this. you will have to do a D.P.T. ONLY to qualify for N.J. License. any university will waive off some pre-reqs depending on your B.S. credits and you can still enroll in D.P.T.