MS in Toxicology to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToxGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long time reader of these forums, but never have posted till today. I am a masters student in toxicology with B.S. in biochemistry, which I feel like makes me sort of non-traditional since I am not doing an SMP. I do research and am about to have a first author research article in a journal by January and another co-author paper.

My stats: UG cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.01. gGPA 4.0. MCAT: n/a
Demographics: 23 y/o, white, male, middle class (definitely not URM)
EC: research, internship American Red Cross, Resident Assistant/Head RA (3 years in UG), fraternity VP, worked as medical assistant for 1 year, registered EMT-B, Pharmacy Technician (6 months), Graduate Assistant/Teaching Assistant for toxicology UG lab.
I also have great LORs

Last night a good friend messaged me asking me if I was applying to med school yet and it hit me, I for sure want to be a doctor. I went the MS route because I wanted to be more competitive, but when I got into my research it made me think maybe I could go into medical research, but I am surely more interested in the actual clinical aspects of medicine and want to be a physician.

Does anyone know any osteopathic programs that look kindly on graduate education in a hard science that is not an SMP? Does my stats with my gGPA make me competitive if I do take the MCAT?

Thank you kindly for your attention and help

Members don't see this ad.

It is hard to predict without MCAT, but as far as I know, graduate GPA is NOT counted in the GPA calculation.

If you are interested in DO, fortunately for you, they do GPA replacement.
If you can retake your C/D/F classes, it will definitely be in your favor as far as GPA goes.

AACOMAS does factor in post-bac GPAs. My school does look more favorably on this than do MD schools.

STRONGLY agree with the bolded
It is hard to predict without MCAT, but as far as I know, graduate GPA is NOT counted in the GPA calculation.

If you are interested in DO, fortunately for you, they do GPA replacement.
If you can retake your C/D/F classes, it will definitely be in your favor as far as GPA goes