MS Medical Physiology Case Western Thread 2013-2014 app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheesesmile

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I didn't see one for the MS medical physiology at Case Western for this years application thread (entering Fall 2014), so I will just create a new one. everyone is welcome to join me! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Any of you already submitted your app to the program? I submitted mine three weeks ago, and it was under review now. Jean (admission coordinator) said I would hear back next week! I'm kind of worried about that, because i have a gpa of 2.9 (overall and science), and DAT (aa 21, pat 20, QR 30, RC 16, and science 20), more than 300 hours of shadowing and two years of lab research (involved in two published papers). Do you think there will be any chances for me to get in (i really worry about my gpa might be the one dragging me out of the acceptance). Thanks!!!!!!

Last edited:
Any of you already submitted your app to the program? I submitted mine three weeks ago, and it was under review now. Jean (admission coordinator) said I would hear back next week! I'm kind of worried about that, because i have a gpa of 2.9 (overall and science), and DAT (aa 21, pat 20, QR 30, RC 16, and science 20), more than 300 hours of shadowing and two years of lab research (involved in two published papers). Do you think there will be any chances for me to get in (i really worry about my gpa might be the one dragging me out of the acceptance). Thanks!!!!!!

I applied to the program late Feb and my application was completed 3 days ago. I got an email from Jean this afternoon saying I got in for the Fall 2014 term. Your stats seem a lot more competitive than mine. You still haven't heard back from admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi np1989, congrats!!!!!! I got an email from Andrea (a member from the admission committee), she said they reviewed my app late February and decided to hold it till they see my grades for my last semester (like early May), and make the final decision then. My grade (of each semester) improved dramatically about three semesters ago, and they are waiting to see if I can keep it for another semester. final decision will be made once they receive my final transcript next month. But congratulations on your acceptance, have you decided to attend case in the fall? :)

Hi np1989, congrats!!!!!! I got an email from Andrea (a member from the admission committee), she said they reviewed my app late February and decided to hold it till they see my grades for my last semester (like early May), and make the final decision then. My grade (of each semester) improved dramatically about three semesters ago, and they are waiting to see if I can keep it for another semester. final decision will be made once they receive my final transcript next month. But congratulations on your acceptance, have you decided to attend case in the fall? :)

Well I was also recently accepted to the MS Medical Science program at Mississippi College and still waiting to hear back from several other programs. I was planning on making my final decision after I heard back from every school lol. In the meantime I was just gathering the Pros/Cons of the schools I was accepted to. As of now, Im not sure between the two because if I went with CWRU I would be paying 38k+ but have the benefit of attending a school/program that has a strong tie with their dental school vs. MC which doesn't have a dental school but a cost of 25k+.

Well I was also recently accepted to the MS Medical Science program at Mississippi College and still waiting to hear back from several other programs. I was planning on making my final decision after I heard back from every school lol. In the meantime I was just gathering the Pros/Cons of the schools I was accepted to. As of now, Im not sure between the two because if I went with CWRU I would be paying 38k+ but have the benefit of attending a school/program that has a strong tie with their dental school vs. MC which doesn't have a dental school but a cost of 25k+.
Yeah, i totally understand that! Case is my top choice , i applied for both MSMP and the applied anatomy there, the admission director Dr. Miller of the anatomy program called me right after he reviewed my app (well, made the same decision to hold the app) he seemed super nice and told me a lot of both programs and how the programs helped their students getting into dental and medical school. It's an open secrete the tie between the MS and their dent and med schools though. Finger crossed for ya for the other programs you applied for. I'm not 100% sure if they will eventually accept me (but do really hope so!), but they made it clear that they liked all the other parts of the app, and all they wanted to see more is the final grade. If they do, I sure will be attending. Keep us updated, we might be classmates though! haha!

I was also recently accepted. I had about a 3 week turnaround from submitting to acceptance. Any of you going to the open house this weekend? I was planning on going to find more info about the program.

I was also recently accepted. I had about a 3 week turnaround from submitting to acceptance. Any of you going to the open house this weekend? I was planning on going to find more info about the program.
i wanted to, but I have three exams coming up next Monday... sad!

Also, I've been thinking about this the whole time since both programs (MP and Applied Anatomy) are waiting to see my final transcript. My grades for each semester increased from like 2.6 (in the first 2-3 years in college) to 3.5ish since three semesters ago. They said that if my grades weren't be too bad/good enough for this semester, there should be no problem offering me a seat. What do you think a not-too-bad/good enough grades they 'd like to see?

Unfortunately I just heard about my acceptance today and there is no way I would be able to make the Open House this weekend. If you didn't mind, could you please share the info you recieve on the program? Have a safe trip!

Good luck on your exams @cheesesmile. I think if you get at least a 3.4 this semester and getting B or higher in all science classes, you should good. I think the key is doing well in science classes now. Just my 2 cents.

@np1989 Thanks. I will let you know what they say.

I got an email today from Jean saying they offer me a seat for Fall 2014. Andrea (from committee) told me they were gonna wait to see my grades for the last semester first then decide whether accept me or not, looks like they just made a decision. So excited!!!! I'm going to case in the fall!!!! time to start looking for apts maybe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just wondering. there are several ways (based on the length of time to complete the program) to finish the program (30 credits), http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...physiology/curriculum/msmp-sample-curriculum/ Any of you know if most people chose to finish the courses within 1 year, 1.5 or 2 years? I personally would pick the one finishing in 4 semesters (2 fall, 2 spring), and applying for med schools after the 1st year is done.

Hey guys, just wondering. there are several ways (based on the length of time to complete the program) to finish the program (30 credits), http://physiology.case.edu/educatio...physiology/curriculum/msmp-sample-curriculum/ Any of you know if most people chose to finish the courses within 1 year, 1.5 or 2 years? I personally would pick the one finishing in 4 semesters (2 fall, 2 spring), and applying for med schools after the 1st year is done.
If I went through with the program I am going to take the 1.5/2 year track. No need to compromise the benefits of the program trying to finish in 1 year. With the annoying gap year in the way, this is deff the best dealio. I will be doing the same haha!

If I went through with the program I am going to take the 1.5/2 year track. No need to compromise the benefits of the program trying to finish in 1 year. With the annoying gap year in the way, this is deff the best dealio. I will be doing the same haha!
Yeah right! I'm debating if i should accept the offer or not. I'm still waiting to hear back from the applied anatomy at case as well. I just don't want to wait for too long, since it's already quite late finding a place to live tho! But i think they are still in their earliest receiving applications, April and May might by so busy for them!

Hey guys,
So I went to the open house yesterday and just wanted to give a few updates. I would also check out the post by Trilliums in this thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-in-medical-physiology-program.828168/page-2) that covers the info from the open house very well.

I really liked the program and I think once its more established will be considered one of the best SMPs. Anyways, Case's strength is physiology and you will be taught by best in physiology. The core curriculum consists of medical physio (traditional physio), translational physio (diseases and how it relates to physio), and seminar (latest research in physio). That makes up 9 credits and will be your first semester if you choose to finish the program in 2 years. Most students take 2 years to finish with most applying after their first year. Some choose to apply after they finish the program because your application will be strongest then. They recommend that you don't do work/research during your first semester so you can adjust and understand how much work is needed to succeed. During your second semester, you continue with the 9 credit core curriculum and most students also start researching. Electives are usually all done in your second year. You also have two advisers that will help you plan your classes and apply for professional school.

They told us that 75% of the first year's class was able to get into professional school. Personally, I got the feeling that that those 25% were all pre-med or research based though. I was told a few times that the dental track has a stronger record than the medical track with regards to admissions. I was actually told by a student that pretty much all the dental students in his class got in unless they didn't apply.

I think the only con of the program is the price.

Overall, I was really impressed. Dr. Nosek said it best "The program works, but you need to give it time."

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,
So I went to the open house yesterday and just wanted to give a few updates. I would also check out the post by Trilliums in this thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...s-in-medical-physiology-program.828168/page-2) that covers the info from the open house very well.

I really liked the program and I think once its more established will be considered one of the best SMPs. Anyways, Case's strength is physiology and you will be taught by best in physiology. The core curriculum consists of medical physio (traditional physio), translational physio (diseases and how it relates to physio), and seminar (latest research in physio). That makes up 9 credits and will be your first semester if you choose to finish the program in 2 years. Most students take 2 years to finish with most applying after their first year. Some choose to apply after they finish the program because your application will be strongest then. They recommend that you don't do work/research during your first semester so you can adjust and understand how much work is needed to succeed. During your second semester, you continue with the 9 credit core curriculum and most students also start researching. Electives are usually all done in your second year. You also have two advisers that will help you plan your classes and apply for professional school.

They told us that 75% of the first year's class was able to get into professional school. Personally, I got the feeling that that those 25% were all pre-med or research based though. I was told a few times that the dental track has a stronger record than the medical track with regards to admissions. I was actually told by a student that pretty much all the dental students in his class got in unless they didn't apply.

Overall, I was really impressed. Dr. Nosek said it best "The program works, but you need to give it time."

Hi @IwanttheDDS , thanks for the updates. Did they say anything about when classes start, and any housing information? I'm thinking about finding a place to live next year asap. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info IwanttheDDS, really appreciate it! They really told you 75% got acceptances, that is amazing highly! Just out of curiosity what made you think the remaining 25% were Pre-Med/Research-based students. Dang now I am actually really considering the program haha, especially after you mentioned the dental student acceptance part lol.

Thanks for the info IwanttheDDS, really appreciate it! They really told you 75% got acceptances, that is amazing highly! Just out of curiosity what made you think the remaining 25% were Pre-Med/Research-based students. Dang now I am actually really considering the program haha, especially after you mentioned the dental student acceptance part lol.
always my top choice tho! haha! the price is sure a challenge, i've been working three jobs in the last two summers to save money for this program! Got the acceptance on Friday, but i haven't replied yet, looks like i should probably do that now!

No problem guys. Glad I could help.

@cheesesmile Another prospective student on the tour mentioned it was suppose to start last week of august and I know the first year students finish their last block in 2 weeks. Then, they have three weeks off to study for the board exam for physio and neuro physio. As for living, administration didn't say anything but students mainly recommended Little Italy. I also heard a recommendation for University circle east. Some students also choose to live in downtown Cleveland and drive to class. To be honest, most of the apartments looked pretty nice just from driving outside so I think you will be fine with whatever you choose.

@np1989 Lol. I know exactly what you mean. I wasn't really considering Case due to the price, but now everything is up in the air. Also, just a side note before i talk about the 25 percent. The 75% is reported on the flyer so that should be true. The remaining 25 percent is all my personal speculation. It may or may not be true. Anyways, I think the 25 percent is pre-med/research based because 1) You have to take out a few students because they don't want to go to professional schools but actually want to research. This might not apply to other programs/areas but Case/Cleveland is definitely a research hub. 2) The dental track is pretty successful. If all the dental students are getting in, that only leaves pre-med/pre-pharm students left. Right?
Also, I don't know for sure if any students dropped out but I am guessing there are some that probably did. It's a difficult program. You need to work hard to succeed.

Also, another thing i really liked about the program, which I did not really talk about before, is that the advisers actually help you. They will look at your entire application and tell you what you need to improve. They will look at your PS, grades, etc.

One last thing, they mentioned they may post a recording of the presentations of the open house online. I would keep an eye out for that.

Has any of you accepted the offer yet? Would you prefer replying to Dr. Romani or Dr. Nosek?

No problem guys. Glad I could help.

@cheesesmile Another prospective student on the tour mentioned it was suppose to start last week of august and I know the first year students finish their last block in 2 weeks. Then, they have three weeks off to study for the board exam for physio and neuro physio. As for living, administration didn't say anything but students mainly recommended Little Italy. I also heard a recommendation for University circle east. Some students also choose to live in downtown Cleveland and drive to class. To be honest, most of the apartments looked pretty nice just from driving outside so I think you will be fine with whatever you choose.

@np1989 Lol. I know exactly what you mean. I wasn't really considering Case due to the price, but now everything is up in the air. Also, just a side note before i talk about the 25 percent. The 75% is reported on the flyer so that should be true. The remaining 25 percent is all my personal speculation. It may or may not be true. Anyways, I think the 25 percent is pre-med/research based because 1) You have to take out a few students because they don't want to go to professional schools but actually want to research. This might not apply to other programs/areas but Case/Cleveland is definitely a research hub. 2) The dental track is pretty successful. If all the dental students are getting in, that only leaves pre-med/pre-pharm students left. Right?
Also, I don't know for sure if any students dropped out but I am guessing there are some that probably did. It's a difficult program. You need to work hard to succeed.

Also, another thing i really liked about the program, which I did not really talk about before, is that the advisers actually help you. They will look at your entire application and tell you what you need to improve. They will look at your PS, grades, etc.

Your logic behind the remaining 25% make sense, and nonetheless, a 75% acceptance rate is damn good. Ive been doing a lot of research on post-bacc/master's degree programs that prepare students for professional schools and have got the idea that these programs have worked especially well for Pre-Dent candidates, not to down play that we would have to rock the curriculum. That hefty price tag on the tuition is pretty much the only thing making me iffy about accepting the offer.

Has any of you accepted the offer yet? Would you prefer replying to Dr. Romani or Dr. Nosek?

I recently contacted Dr. Nosek regarding the deposit/deadline date. He mentioned that there is no deposit required and no specific deadline date to accept the offer. Although, he mentioned to let him know by June 15th because that is the date the Admissions Committee will be replying back to students on their waitlist and our decision can influence how many/who to accept.

Last edited:
So just for an update. I replied to accept my offer last night, and received a LONG email from Dr. Romani earlier regarding to the program. School will start August 26th (Orientation 21th, along with reception, and social events etc). Also, the class schedule looks not bad (if you choose the four-semester one), pretty much just 2 hours of class every day (no class on Wednesday) for the first two semesters (9credites each). Also, he assigned me my advisors (career and academic) as well, and expecting me to contact them soon. He said it will be their third year holding the program, and they are putting as much effort as they could to help out every single student in this program. this year, they plan to have 60-90 students enrolled in.

Hey guys, i'm kinda thinking about this now. Since I've told them I accepted the offer, and they confirmed it, do you think i need to send them my transcript after this final semester is done (with new grades posted)? There is one class I'm not doing pretty well (C+/B-/B maybe, but other 5 classes are good, like A ranges). I would assume if they already accepted me, and they probably are not gonna request the final transcript right? Thanks!

@np1989 What were your stats applying to the program? I have a low GPA and am worried :/

Hey all,

Got my acceptance today!! I applied to a lot of these programs (7) but Case was pretty high on my list and it's the first one that I've heard back from.
Thanks to those who posted details from the open house, there is no way that I can make it out there from the west coast with school and work so it's super helpful to get some extra insight. Their website isn't particularly helpful with that... :(
Can anyone tell me what they thought of the school/community/atmosphere/ Cleveland as a whole? I'm coming from a very different place, so I'm prepared for a big change... Just curious HOW big :)
Congrats to my fellow acceptanceies and good luck to all the others!

Hey all,

Got my acceptance today!! I applied to a lot of these programs (7) but Case was pretty high on my list and it's the first one that I've heard back from.
Thanks to those who posted details from the open house, there is no way that I can make it out there from the west coast with school and work so it's super helpful to get some extra insight. Their website isn't particularly helpful with that... :(
Can anyone tell me what they thought of the school/community/atmosphere/ Cleveland as a whole? I'm coming from a very different place, so I'm prepared for a big change... Just curious HOW big :)
Congrats to my fellow acceptanceies and good luck to all the others!
Congrats SoggySeattleite! Glad to hear that another potential student may join the program next year. I lived in Seattle for one year before I came to the midwest (I'm currently in michigan), so I totally feel you. Case is my top choice, I was so happy when I got my acceptance two weeks ago, and I know I'm definitely going. I've been to Cleveland before (not the open house), for few times, and visited the campus of case. It's such an amazing place, and the living area near the medical school (Little Italy, U circle, etc) looks pretty awesome. Well, cleveland is not a small city, there is concerns about the safety there. But my friend goes to Case (just finished his first year of this program), he said the campus is definitely safe, and he's fortunately to have chosen this program. The staff are amazing and work their best to help every single students reaching their career goals. I'm definitely in. Now just need to starting looking for an apartment and roommate(s). If you decide to go to Case, I'm happy to see you in few months, and maybe we could be roommates (well, i "stalked" your profile, I'm looking for female roommates sooner. haha)

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome thanks so much for the feedback!! I know I'm going to miss my mountains and trees and water. Not knowing anything about the area has been a little nerve wracking. It sounds like a lot of students live in the Little Italy area, my feeling is closer the better, unless the neighborhood sucks.
Hopefully I'll hear back from my other schools soon and be able to make a decision!

I was debating whether I should wait a little bit to create a fb group, to wait for more people who decide to accept the offer. @IwanttheDDS , have you decided yet?
I need to add someone into the group on fb before I can officially create one. Let me know guys!

Okay I'm being neurotic and paranoid. Did you guys get anything from the graduate college or just the program? I realize it's only been a few days but I keep watching the mail for something more official than an email and it hasn't come yet... I'm freakin out.

I did not get anything in the mail, but I got 2 emails from case about my acceptance. The first one was from Jean Davis. I got that about a month ago. I just got another one yesterday from Case Western saying you admission decision is available on the online application.

Hey SoggySeattleite, I replied to Dr. Romani that I'm accepting the offer, and he emailed me back the day after with all the information I need to know about the program and my two advisors I was assigned to. I think you will only get this once you email them that you will be attending in the fall. I called the graduate department few days ago since I was accepted on April 4th (quite a while), they told me it took so time to process everything, and I should be expecting the official letter in the next week or so (the instruction of creating an official account etc will also be included there). The one from grad department will come no matter you accept the offer or not.

I did not get anything in the mail, but I got 2 emails from case about my acceptance. The first one was from Jean Davis. I got that about a month ago. I just got another one yesterday from Case Western saying you admission decision is available on the online application.
Like the one we used for submitting the application?

Whew!! Thank you guys for calming my nerves. Maybe I'm old school but I can't get over the thin envelope/ thick envelope thing, wanting a real letter in my hand.

Reactions: 1 users
Like the one we used for submitting the application?

Yea. I just logged in. On the bottom of the page, it says your decision status is available. I clicked it and there was an acceptance letter from the dean of grad schools. This letter had a link for accepting/declining the offer of acceptance.

Edit: I just noticed this at the bottom of the letter.
Please note: To further our continuing effort to reduce our impact on the environment, this letter is being provided to you electronically and should be considered official; a hard copy will not be sent.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea. I just logged in. On the bottom of the page, it says your decision status is available. I clicked it and there was an acceptance letter from the dean of grad schools. This letter had a link for accepting/declining the offer of acceptance.

Edit: I just noticed this at the bottom of the letter.
Please note: To further our continuing effort to reduce our impact on the environment, this letter is being provided to you electronically and should be considered official; a hard copy will not be sent.

Oh interesting!

Hey guys, so I decided to decline the offer. Heading to Mississippi College and starting this Summer! Wish all you the best, good luck!

Do you know how long it takes to get my decision? I applied on June 1st and have my application completed.

Do you know how long it takes to get my decision? I applied on June 1st and have my application completed.
I applied early, app completed early march, and accepted early April, however, June is definitely a busy season for them reviewing all the applications, i assume it should be faster than mine. I know someone got accepted two weeks after her app was completed late May. Also, Jean is sending out the department orientation info late July, I will say you will hear back before then for sure. I would just call Jean Davis, she's always willing to help and she has all the most updated info for everyone. Good luck!

I applied early, app completed early march, and accepted early April, however, June is definitely a busy season for them reviewing all the applications, i assume it should be faster than mine. I know someone got accepted two weeks after her app was completed late May. Also, Jean is sending out the department orientation info late July, I will say you will hear back before then for sure. I would just call Jean Davis, she's always willing to help and she has all the most updated info for everyone. Good luck!

I just got my acceptance today!!!! I'm so happy.

Also got accepted yesterday. Might do this one (Case is my #2 choice). Heard lots of good things about this program, for sure, and I think it has potential to eventually be one of the best programs nationwide given some time to grow and build a reputation.

Also got accepted yesterday. Might do this one (Case is my #2 choice). Heard lots of good things about this program, for sure, and I think it has potential to eventually be one of the best programs nationwide given some time to grow and build a reputation.

Hey, do you when when we have to accept our decision by?