MS/PhD degree helpful in first years of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying to Osteopathic schools this year but I am contemplating going after a MS (or possibly a PhD, but most likely a MS) first in order to help prepare me better for Med school.

I have limited 'academic' science background other then required post bacc classes and self study based on a huge interest level. I am a little nervous that if I do get into school this year I will not be as well prepared as I should be and will struggle because I do not come from a large science background.

My question is- for those that recieved a PhD or a MS before entering Med school, did you feel it was helpful for helping you succeed in Med School

Thanks
Laura

Members don't see this ad.

A PhD is not a good way to prepare for medical school. Many PhDs take 5 years or more and train you to do research and will not be the best prep for medical school (it would help, but extremely inefficient use of your time). Perhaps a masters degree if you really feel that you couldn't keep up, but if you get into a medical school I wouldn't worry and just plan to work hard. Best,

My question is- for those that recieved a PhD or a MS before entering Med school, did you feel it was helpful for helping you succeed in Med School

I didn't get a PhD or MS, but I did take about a year's worth of graduate level Neuroscience classes as an undergrad and I am finished with my PhD course cirriculum. My graduate level classes helped me very little, and I doubt my PhD cirriculum would have helped at all. I do think my undergrad helped me a little, but it's random tidbits strewn out across my 5 years of double science major.

You have to understand that medical school training is very broad, superficial across many subjects, while graduate school training is very narrow in one area. The emphasis of the classes tends to be very different as well. In graduate level classes methodology tends to be stressed. The focus tends to be very cellular and molecular and on very specific processes that are often not discussed in medicine or only peripherally. The medical school knowledge that is hardest is anatomy, pathology, pharmacology, and physiology. Try finding a grad program that includes all of them and for more than just one organ. It doesn't exist. Anatomy usually isn't offered to grad students at all because it's too expensive. Even in neuroscience, neuroanatomy is often not offered. Med schools are cutting out anatomy for this reason as well (MAKE NO MISTAKE THIS IS THE REAL REASON). Pathology is not taught nor understood by PhDs. You could get a PhD in pharmacology, but the knolwedge gained as a PhD is more about general processes and organic chemistry than about specific drugs, side effects, contraindications, etc etc etc. Physiology you can get some of from undergrad animal physiolgy. This class did help me slack off studying a bit, partially because my professor in undergrad taught it as human physiology and ignored the animal parts. Was this key to my med school success? Not really. I still didn't really score all that well in Physiology :laugh:

No, med school is its own beast. Everyone, from all backgrounds, works hard memorizing all the new stuff. Any advantages one group has over the other is small and in the long run not important. For example, you may have some advantage during the first two years here and there, but those grades don't matter anyways as long as you pass ;)

Hello,

I am applying to Osteopathic schools this year but I am contemplating going after a MS (or possibly a PhD, but most likely a MS) first in order to help prepare me better for Med school.

I have limited 'academic' science background other then required post bacc classes and self study based on a huge interest level. I am a little nervous that if I do get into school this year I will not be as well prepared as I should be and will struggle because I do not come from a large science background.

Thanks
Laura
I'm a PhD-to-MD now in my second year of med school. The short answer to your question is, "no." If you want to get a leg up on med school, look into doing an SMP (special masters program). These are designed for people who need extra preparation for a med school curriculum. I know at least one of my classmates did an SMP and had very positive things to say about it. If you go into the preallo or post bac forums and do a search, you will be able to find more info about SMPs. :luck: to you. :)