MS1 wants to become ENT, advice for EC's, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgwtfbbq?

yes, really, I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.. I'm going to be an MS1 in the fall, and although I know that my interests may change come MS3 year, right now I am pretty confident that I want to follow an ENT path. ENT is one of the only specialities that offers something to every one of my interests, and I have been on the receiving end of vocal surgeries, and have never gotten over my fascination with the kind of work my doc. got to do (vocal and nonvocal).

So i was wondering if i could get any advice as far as Research and activities to get involved in MS1 and 2. It's early to start thinking about electives, so i want to stick with things that can help make me a stronger applicant when the time comes.

I'm not sure what kind of research one would want to get involved in for this kind of thing. Is clinical research equal to lab research when it comes to research experience in medical school and residency applications?

Also, I speak fluent sign language...would this be of any benefit in the field (or an aspect of the field?)

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Also, how do you like the residency programs you're in? What's the lifestyle like for residency? Do you do a general surgery internship year? What do you think about your choice?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

omgwtfbbq? said:
So i was wondering if i could get any advice as far as Research and activities to get involved in MS1 and 2. It's early to start thinking about electives, so i want to stick with things that can help make me a stronger applicant when the time comes.

I'm not sure what kind of research one would want to get involved in for this kind of thing. Is clinical research equal to lab research when it comes to research experience in medical school and residency applications?

Just get in touch with the ENT residency program director at your school sometime after you start school and get settled in (email works well). Let them know you are interested in research and they should be able to give you several options for projects to work on. As far as extracurriculars go, I don't think it matters. Just do what you are interested in.

Yup...not much you can do during the 1st 2 years. The best thing to do is to work hard, get good grades (you don't need all honors...the most important thing is to work hard in your classes so you can prep well for Step 1), get an amazing Step 1 score, and then if you have time, try to get some research done between your 1st and 2nd year (again, not necessary...but it probably would help more than hurt).