MSAR percentile ranges... reality check, or am I being too petty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaroMilkT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I may get a lot of hate for this, but I can't help but feel disappointed for falling short a little. I was looking through the MSAR, and for several of the schools that I was hoping to have a reasonable shot at (one of which is my undergrad) have median MCAT scores in the 37-38 range. I also am a CA resident, which also doesn't help. :unsure:

I received my scores yesterday for the 8/22 exam, and was initially content with my score, but after comparing the new percentiles with the old percentile chart, I realized that a score of 516 is roughly between a 34-35. I could be mistaken, (and I hope I am-- so please feel free to correct me!), but for several of the schools, this seems to be their bottom 10th percentile. :eek: This has been really bothering me. I wish that my score weren't in this grey-ish area, because while it is below the 50% percentile for many schools, I know that I would probably not be taken seriously if I attempted to retake in hopes of scoring a few more points to get a more "secure" score. :(

Am I being too petty, or might this score actually keep me out of some CA schools and some of the top 20's? Would I need some stellar EC's to have a chance? I am hoping to apply next cycle.

Fore reference, my breakdown was:
C/P: 129
CARS: 127
Bio: 130
P/S: 130

GPA: ~3.8 at T15 US news undergrad
Major: Biochemistry and Spanish
ECs: Typical pre-med stuff. Nothing extraordinary (research, shadowing, volunteering, TA).

I really hope that this post does not offend anyone. Humble bragging is not my intention-- besides, this is an anonymous forum-- so it would really do nothing for me. (In fact, I was really worried about getting bashed and seeming immature for posting this [which, maybe I am]). It really baffles me how these schools are as crazy competitive as they are, and that they manage to fill their classes with people with god-like stats. I am hoping for some advice from people who may be willing to provide some insight on these MSAR percentile ranges, because they are terrifying.

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are plenty of schools where you're very competitive and if you're stressing about your score (which is great) it means you're too fixated on going to a super prestigious school imo

I'm in a similar boat. Score a 514, was aiming for 517. It's only a 3 point difference, but it's a *3 point difference*. Also, somehow I killed psych with a 131, so my other sections were lower. I'm considering a retake to bump up the science and CARS, while risking a loss in psych. I have no answers for you, but you're not alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are plenty of schools where you're very competitive and if you're stressing about your score (which is great) it means you're too fixated on going to a super prestigious school imo

You're right @james11 ; perhaps I am too fixated on rankings, and I really shouldn't be. I probably just need to let some time pass to get over this, and move on.
Congrats on the phenomenal score btw!!! That's incredible :)

I'm in a similar boat. Score a 514, was aiming for 517. It's only a 3 point difference, but it's a *3 point difference*. Also, somehow I killed psych with a 131, so my other sections were lower. I'm considering a retake to bump up the science and CARS, while risking a loss in psych. I have no answers for you, but you're not alone.

Thank you for the consolation @kahan! Though I'm really sorry that you are also not satisfied with your score. It really stings to feel this way :(. I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to retake, but if you decide not to, you are not in a bad position (which is also what I am trying to tell myself).

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses @El-Rami and @GrapesofRath. I have spent these last few days trying to shake off all of these negative feelings I have, and I'm just hoping for the best!

Taylor-ballerina-650x355.jpg

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

Also, something that may be slightly more helpful: "The monsters turned out to be just trees"--I always try to think about this when I feel neurotic premed-y, because so many of the things we stress about really do turn out to be just trees instead of monsters. I believe that you will get into a med school that you can thrive at, where you can meet some great people and start to become the best doctor you can be--and who cares if it's at a top 20 or not? Those are the things that really matter in the end, screw the competition and judgements of others. Or, at least, that's what I tell myself anyway :)(By the way, the quote is from a Taylor song too oops: "Out of the Woods", in case you were wondering :rolleyes:)

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get accepted to medical school, a 516 on the MCAT will not be the reason why.