MSc of Neuroscience at Oxford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sat0ri

Everything we see hides another
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at Oxford, but even when I was applying for this I wasn't sure if it would be worthwhile, other than 1) being at Oxford and 2) worldly experience. It would almost certainly be on scholarship, because the scholarship is very specific (i.e. low competition) only pending accpetance. GPA is 3.9, no MCAT. I have some issues on my record from when I was a minor/18 years old that I wouldn't mind distancing myself from.

The program is 1 year and pass-fail. I wasn't sure if this would help my chance, not affect them, or possibly even hurt them. I definitely got the impressioin that master's degrees are relatively immaterial for med school admissions (and this one is pass-fail at that), but this seemed to warrant a question.

One of my concerns is that I am not getting any younger and I'm getting anxious. Two, I have a great job (scribing), and it would certainly involve welching on my word that I gave sincerely that I would work during my gap year full time (but maybe I'm taking business too seriously). Three, I have student loans (that I would defer). I'm also worried about returning to my hometown knowing that everyone has moved on and in their 2nd year of med school when I'm just starting to apply.

I already have substantial research experience (total of five, 2 of which were for >2 years, with pubs), but I thought I thought having a good name on my CV might go a long way. (I go to the "best" state university where I live).

I'm strongly considering MD/PhD, and that was probably my main reason applying to begin with.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you wouldn't do an SMP in this case. It would (1) be more relevant; and (2) give you an actual GPA. I don't see how going to Oxford will help you in the long run, unless you have some kind of undying desire to go there.

I don't see why you wouldn't do an SMP in this case. It would (1) be more relevant; and (2) give you an actual GPA. I don't see how going to Oxford will help you in the long run, unless you have some kind of undying desire to go there.
To be honest, it really is coming down to the name of it, and the fact that it is beautiful there. I'm almost thinking of it as of a vacation where I study neurosci.

I was thinking it might help applying to top-teirs. My GPA is fine though, so I really don't need a master's whatsoever. I'm just having problems letting go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently interviewed at Oxford, but even when I was applying for this I wasn't sure if it would be worthwhile, other than 1) being at Oxford and 2) worldly experience. It would almost certainly be on scholarship, because the scholarship is very specific (i.e. low competition) only pending accpetance. GPA is 3.9, no MCAT. I have some issues on my record from when I was a minor/18 years old that I wouldn't mind distancing myself from.

The program is 1 year and pass-fail. I wasn't sure if this would help my chance, not affect them, or possibly even hurt them. I definitely got the impressioin that master's degrees are relatively immaterial for med school admissions (and this one is pass-fail at that), but this seemed to warrant a question.

One of my concerns is that I am not getting any younger and I'm getting anxious. Two, I have a great job (scribing), and it would certainly involve welching on my word that I gave sincerely that I would work during my gap year full time (but maybe I'm taking business too seriously). Three, I have student loans (that I would defer). I'm also worried about returning to my hometown knowing that everyone has moved on and in their 2nd year of med school when I'm just starting to apply.

I already have substantial research experience (total of five, 2 of which were for >2 years, with pubs), but I thought I thought having a good name on my CV might go a long way. (I go to the "best" state university where I live).

I'm strongly considering MD/PhD, and that was probably my main reason applying to begin with.

You actually sound * a lot * like me although Idk if I would want to be an MD/PhD just yet.

I would agree with the above about the SMP but the reality is that your GPA is already strong. A 3.9 doesn't need to be supplemented by a graduate GPA imho. Will you be doing any relevant research while at Oxford? Will you continue your community service? Honestly, if I was offered a year at Oxford on scholarship I would take it in a heart beat. There's still plenty of opportunity for community service and I would have the opportunity to take classes and do research at the oldest modern university on the planet. That's unbeatable, admissions statistics be damned.

The real question is: do you want to take the time off to do this thing? Being in Europe you could have the chance to travel to Europe and Africa while you are there, maybe even Asia if you don't mind the flight. It sounds like an excellent opportunity. If you are set on MD/PhD however then I would defer to the opinion of someone in that pathway. It's a long path way and taking gap years just adds to the length which is spiritually taxing as it is.

Edit: I doubt the name would help unless you worked in a high profile lab or worked with one of their affiliate organizations to do something service or research oriented.

I did a study-abroad program at Oxford and it is such an amazing place! I was considering going back for a research MSc but decided not to because I didn't think it would help me in the long run. If you're going for an MD/PhD and you already have some research experience I don't think the MSc would be worth it. Feel free to message me for more specifics about my experience Oxford!

Sounds like a good time, although you will be burning bridges at your local ER, so hopefully that's not a problem. It sounds like a great way to spend a gap year, and if you can get research and community service, that sounds like it could certainly add. If you are not paying for the experience, sounds awesome, and I would probably go for it.

Edit:
Also, a year won't make that much of a difference. There are plenty of nontrads who apply much much later. The time can give you a break that you won't have for the next few years.

To be honest, it really is coming down to the name of it, and the fact that it is beautiful there. I'm almost thinking of it as of a vacation where I study neurosci.

I was thinking it might help applying to top-teirs. My GPA is fine though, so I really don't need a master's whatsoever. I'm just having problems letting go.

Well, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're having issues with a blemish on your record...so you're extending the time it would otherwise take you to apply. Your GPA is stellar, you have mentioned all requisite extracurriculars; you are basically sitting on your hands, waiting for that blemish to slowly fade.

I think you should definitely go for the SMP. They're widely available—and with your GPA, I'm sure you can pick up a merit scholarship. The information you'll learn is going to be more relevant for an MD/DO education.

If the program is only a year long, you could apply for med schools in the coming cycle while doing your master's.

Who are these people recommending an SMP to OP with the 3.9 GPA. Do you, @intangible, understand what an SMP is for?

Hint: it is not for someone like OP

Reactions: 6 users
To my knowledge, the MSc in Neuroscience at Oxford is one year long, course based Master's and is designed for students who want to pursue PhD. Since it's not thesis based, you won't get as much research experience. It's better to engage in a year long project as a research assistant and potentially get some publications while studying for MCAT before you apply next year.

OP – Go to Oxford. Don't be that risk averse premed who thinks the world will collapse if they're not cookie cutter enough.

Apply this coming cycle and do your interviews during Oxford's winter breaks. That's what the Rhodes/Marshall Scholar premeds do, and they turn out all right

Reactions: 1 user
To my knowledge, the MSc in Neuroscience at Oxford is one year long, course based Master's and is designed for students who want to pursue PhD. Since it's not thesis based, you won't get as much research experience. It's better to engage in a year long project as a research assistant and potentially get some publications while studying for MCAT before you apply next year.
Yes, MSc is a taught program, as opposed to the 2-year MPhil. However, since it is P/F and won't require intensive gunning, nothing stops OP from getting research done at the same time. If he takes the MCAT before he goes to Oxford, he can apply over the summer, wait on interviews during the school year while taking classes and doing research at Oxford. I do not see the downside if he's not even paying tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
A year at Oxford would be a fabulous life experience and adding the Oxford name to your CV does add a bit of burnishing to almost anyone's credentials -- Don't let the 'another year's delay' angle deter you unless you're already well over 30 or are female and know you also want to squeeze in multiple babies before your own personal deadline.

Will it help you get into medical school? Maybe a little - probably not much.

But I can't see how it would hurt your chances. And it would be a wonderfully enriching thing to do in your life. (Got anything better to do with your year?)

Gotta chime in and say that I completely agree with @moop in this and would highly recommend going for the program, @sat0ri, if you're really interested. A year to do something as exciting as this (especially fully funded!) is not something to be lightly tossed aside. Don't worry about entering med school a year later - at the end of your life, that's not going to make a difference, especially in light of the fantastic opportunity you'll undertake by going to Oxford. It's these experiences, and the people you meet, that really stay with you, trust me. I only did a semester study abroad and to this day that's been the highlight of my college career (and probably my entire life up to this point) -- and the major talking point at many interviews, as well.

Especially with the P/F program, you'll have plenty of time to do research on the side, take other classes, and just travel - live a little! Seriously. Also, I hope you are not considering doing an SMP as some have suggested... with your GPA that seems wholly unnecessary and a definite waste of your time and resources. Good luck with everything!

Omg good example of really bad SDN advice! Please, stay away from an SMP. Try to get into a lab at NIH if you want to pursue an MD/PhD. Make your year worthwhile. You want experience, and if you work at the NIH labs in Rockville, you'll be near DC. Nothing like the nation's capital :)

Omg good example of really bad SDN advice! Please, stay away from an SMP. Try to get into a lab at NIH if you want to pursue an MD/PhD. Make your year worthwhile. You want experience, and if you work at the NIH labs in Rockville, you'll be near DC. Nothing like the nation's capital :)
No offense but implying that a year at Oxford does not make OP's "year worthwhile" is pretty terrible SDN advice itself

No offense but implying that a year at Oxford does not make OP's "year worthwhile" is pretty terrible SDN advice itself

No, I think the Oxford program would be great, but he said that there's an interest in MD/PhD, the more research the better imo. I bet interviewers would ask him about the 1 year lapse of research experience. Even more important, MD/PhD programs love post-bacc research experiences.

The Oxford program would probably be expensive too..might as well make a salary during post-bacc right?

No, I think the Oxford program would be great, but he said that there's an interest in MD/PhD, the more research the better imo. I bet interviewers would ask him about the 1 year lapse of research experience. Even more important, MD/PhD programs love post-bacc research experiences.

The Oxford program would probably be expensive too..might as well make a salary during post-bacc right?
Did you read his post? He's most likely looking at a scholarship-funded pursuit.

Also, why not explore the option of research at Oxford? NIH is not the only place to get research experience, and Oxford is no derp at research.

I would give almost anything to spend a year at Oxford for free!

Reactions: 1 users
Did you read his post? He's most likely looking at a scholarship-funded pursuit.

Also, why not explore the option of research at Oxford? NIH is not the only place to get research experience, and Oxford is no derp at research.
I read it, relax.

I was in a similar position, and opted for research for the sole purpose that it paid. I don't know what the OP's financial situation is but even if it's a no-tuition program, there are living costs. And I was pretty pleased with a salary. That being said, I'm spending a few months traveling to get that out of my system as well, so maybe a little bit of financial insecurity is worth an adventure for the OP.

Go to Oxford, dude. Nothing wrong with more education and explore some research options while your over there, too.

Reactions: 2 users