MSL careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SHC1984

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know anything about medical science liaison careers? A good friend of mine told me it's a good field to look into. He loves to do research though, so it could be good for him. Anyone here a MSL and would like to share his or her experiences I would greatly appreciate it. Is this a good area for PharmD to look into?

Members don't see this ad.

MSL's don't do traditional research. They are the link between the drug company and "thought leaders" in the field. They are usually fellowship or residency trained, or have many yrs experience in a given specialty area.

I see. Is the job really hard to get? (What job isn't now? LOL...) Is it a really stable one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Is the job really hard to get? (What job isn't now? LOL...) Is it a really stable one?

There are limited positions and like metnioned above, require years of experience in a specialty area and/or fellowship/residency training. One of the MSLs I contact from time to time for work spent 10 years in his specialty area before transitioning.

Aren't MSLs the people you talk to on the phone when you have a question about a company's drug? They've always seemed pretty knowledgeable and had a decent answer, even if it was a kind of odd question to throw at them.

MSL is one of the more difficult jobs to get and requires not only advanced training, work experience is a must.

MSL is one of the more difficult jobs to get and requires not only advanced training, work experience is a must.

Any thoughts about rotating your inpatient pharmacists to your new outpatient facility to make them more familiar with insurance schemes/product availability? Not entirely sure if this would help at all but just a thought I had on rounds the other day when I had therapy suggestions based off pt insurance that a non-retailer wouldn't know.

Yeah for the purpose of staffing efficiency I will have to rotate inpatient pharmacists to retail. Most of my.pharmacists have worked retail and some still work part time retail so most are well versed.

A pharmacy manger I have worked with a lot has a brother who was an MSL for a major insurance company (I think Aetna, not positive) and he recently got laid off. He was making very good money, but apparently when budget cuts roll around his salary/department sticks out like a sore thumb. Not sure if this is the case for all or most MSL positions, but just an FYI to think about.

There are limited positions and like metnioned above, require years of experience in a specialty area and/or fellowship/residency training. One of the MSLs I contact from time to time for work spent 10 years in his specialty area before transitioning.

Okay thanks guys. Maybe an MSL position will be harder to get than the pharmaceutical sales rep job I was looking into before I started pharmacy school. LOL...

Okay thanks guys. Maybe an MSL position will be harder to get than the pharmaceutical sales rep job I was looking into before I started pharmacy school. LOL...

FWIW, my buddy worked as a rep for Pfizer for 20+ years and refuses to go back after pharm school. Said it was very cut throat as I recall.

The days of 25 yo fresh out of college eye candy pharm rep is over. Today's pharm reps are the remaining cutthroat seasoned reps who survived the downsizing....typically older and beatendown professionals. They're aggressive and know the system. And they can't bribe anyone for anything. The Stark Law and the antikickback law are nothing to laugh at.

Last edited:
Anyone here know anything about medical science liaison careers? A good friend of mine told me it's a good field to look into. He loves to do research though, so it could be good for him. Anyone here a MSL and would like to share his or her experiences I would greatly appreciate it. Is this a good area for PharmD to look into?

From what I've heard MSL jobs are looking for people with mastery of pharmacotherapy knowledge and the medication use and treatment process. Either you prove youre a leader in this area (fellowship + residency + academic or specialty experience), or I have also heard of people being promoted from inside for these jobs (industrypharmD talks about it). You obviously dont need clinical subspecialty training at that point but you need industry fellowship or a connection to get in at an entry level position.

Members don't see this ad :)
The days of 25 yo fresh out of college eye candy pharm rep is over. Today's pharm reps are the remaining cutthroat seasoned reps who survived the downsizing....typically older and beatendown professionals. They're aggressive and know the system. And they can't bribe anyone for anything. The Stark Law and the antikickback law are nothing to laugh at.

:(

That's why conventions like ASHP Midyear is no longer fun. No more hot young bimbo babes and drunkfests.

:smuggrin:

I'm not a medical science liason (MSL); however, I personally know a couple and have spoken to them about their careers. Here is what I've learned:

It is a doctorate-level position-you'll need a PhD, MD, or PharmD to get the position. The old model of using pharmaceutical reps who visit doctors' offices to promote drugs is dying. Many doctors are limited in what they can prescribe or are strongly recommended to prescribe standard generics before branded drugs. Plus, doctors no longer want to talk to a bachelors-level salesperson who doesn't really understand the disease or medication beyond the drug-company talking points.

This is where the MSL fits in. They are really smart, educated, and experienced people. This is usually not an entry-level position. You'll need the credentials and the experience, via residencies, fellowships, work experience, to get the job. They engage the key opinion leaders (KOLs) who have an outsized influence on the way that the different specialties treat patients. The KOLs are often the doctors and scientists at the forefront of the field. They are the ones who write reviews that get hundreds of citations. MSLs also engage with people within larger institutions who have influence over prescribing within that institution. They are not allowed to "sell" their product. Their job is to know the field, the competition, and their company's products. They then highlight relevant advantages of their company's product relative to the competition.

As you can imagine, intelligence, composure, social skills, and presenting skills are extremely important for this job. You'll need to interact and develop relationships with highly capable, intelligent, and confident people. The pay is very good (>$120k, potentially much more for influential or experienced MSLs), but there is likely to be a lot of travel required (>40%).

My friend said that it is a great paying and interesting job that has a lot of travel. Now that he is married and has two kids, he finds it a struggle to be away from home so much.

That's why conventions like ASHP Midyear is no longer fun. No more hot young bimbo babes and drunkfests.

:smuggrin:

Thank you. That's great to know! :)

Well I was considering either becoming a pharmaceutical sales rep or MSL, but it seems that one job is dying out and the other one requires many years of experience....*sigh*....I wonder what I should do now. :confused:

Well I was considering either becoming a pharmaceutical sales rep or MSL, but it seems that one job is dying out and the other one requires many years of experience....*sigh*....I wonder what I should do now. :confused:

Obtain the required training and experience to become a MSL...;)

I'd say just on the teaching bandwagon. With no foreseeable end to easily accessible student loans, it seems like a decent bet.

I'd say just on the teaching bandwagon. With no foreseeable end to easily accessible student loans, it seems like a decent bet.

Teaching requires residency too.

Obtain the required training and experience to become a MSL...;)

Thanks but I really just want a job that pays as much money AS FAST as possible. That's why I almost went into pharm sales...if it wasn't for my parents wanting me to go to pharmacy school I would have went with sales. I really want a job that pays as much money as fast as possible. If MSL takes years of work before I can make the big bucks then I'll look into something else.

I am thinking nuclear pharmacy now....I know those jobs are hard to come by....but I'll move to Alaska if I have to! (just for a year or two! hahaha)

Thanks but I really just want a job that pays as much money AS FAST as possible. That's why I almost went into pharm sales...if it wasn't for my parents wanting me to go to pharmacy school I would have went with sales. I really want a job that pays as much money as fast as possible. If MSL takes years of work before I can make the big bucks then I'll look into something else.

I am thinking nuclear pharmacy now....I know those jobs are hard to come by....but I'll move to Alaska if I have to! (just for a year or two! hahaha)

Retail. I've got a FOB Nigerian making serious bank in Humboldt County, CA. He's been in the country less than 2 years. I have to write up at least 2 errors every time I step into the pharmacy. Can't wait til I get new interns in June. If the pharmacy supervisor can get someone at least half decent, he goes into the float pool. Provided he doesn't find himself canned. Yep, definitely retail.

Retail. I've got a FOB Nigerian making serious bank in Humboldt County, CA. He's been in the country less than 2 years. I have to write up at least 2 errors every time I step into the pharmacy. Can't wait til I get new interns in June. If the pharmacy supervisor can get someone at least half decent, he goes into the float pool. Provided he doesn't find himself canned. Yep, definitely retail.

LOL...I guess I forgot to add one last thing. I want to make money as FAST as possible AND not have a super stressful job dealing with annoying people everyday.

Since MSL takes too long...I'll go into nuclear pharmacy or mail order pharmacy or staff hospital pharmacy...ANYTHING but retail. haha...

Or I might look into pharm sales rep if all else fails. Thanks.

ACPE requirement? I'm assuming work experience substitutes as we had a professor in her 30s that wasn't residency trained.

Not an official ACPE requirement that I know of. However with more residency trained practitioners around these days, schools just are less likely to need to hire a non-residency trained new faculty member (i.e. doesn't have teaching experience already).

ACPE requirement? I'm assuming work experience substitutes as we had a professor in her 30s that wasn't residency trained.

Not a requirement, but a new practicioner will need a residency if they want to teach.

Thanks but I really just want a job that pays as much money AS FAST as possible. That's why I almost went into pharm sales...if it wasn't for my parents wanting me to go to pharmacy school I would have went with sales.

Does it need to involve pharmacy practice? I knew a girl once that made pretty good money as an exotic dancer. You'll never have to worry about making a lethal mistake that way.

Does it need to involve pharmacy practice? I knew a girl once that made pretty good money as an exotic dancer. You'll never have to worry about making a lethal mistake that way.
Can't make a career out of it though. You've only got a few years before you lose your youthful attractiveness and gravity gets the best of the girls.

Can't make a career out of it though. You've only got a few years before you lose your youthful attractiveness and gravity gets the best of the girls.

That's when plastic surgery and botox come in handy :cool:

Myfreecams.com

An average performer who works 30 hours/week brings in ~$6000-8000/month. If you are a top performer you can easily pull in $25-30k/month

And no, I am not kidding lol >_>;