MSO fulfilled for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loopystitches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII looking at how to develop my career within the confines of the Navy HPSP contract I have. What I'd like to do and specific questions for each:

1). 4 years as flight surgeon
- Is the Navy Flight surgeon career path essentially a GMO that gets to fly sometimes? Or is there more involvement with patient care? How does the scope of practice differ for the Navy compared with other branches?
-Can clinical, translational or basic research be pursued while fulfilling the MSO? Assume ~7 years of diverse research experience, MS in cellular and molecular biology and several publications on CV.
-Are "fresh" MDs eligible for DoD grants? Will the MSO be fulfilled while working on them?
-Is it possible to work on the USNS Mercy as a GMO or flight surgeon? Really I'm focusing on getting field experience. The HCA missions look like a safe bet for having no true end. Getting to help out with the Ebola relief efforts would have been amazing.
-Otherwise, what is the likelihood of getting great field experience? Definitely not against working in a war zone if it means I can provide meaningful and active service.

Firstly, serving the country is vital for (for me at least) growing from a civilian to a citizen. Having said that, my people on my reservation suffer worse healthcare than the prisoners of GITMO. As such, I'd like to serve my country, then barring WW3 or another major conflict I'd like to ride off into the sunset serving my tribe.

2). General Surg residency
-Can I confirm that doing this civilian w/out asking for active duty pay will result in 0 extra time added to MSO and that residents cannot be returned to active duty from reserves (without their permission)?
-How many years would the military residency add to the MSO?
-How many years added for a civilian residency with active duty pay?
-Is it possible to work at an FOB for the SSTP as a general surgeon, or do you have to be specialized?

3). Peds sub or focus on Onc
These tend to be competitive areas and I'm mainly putting this far out in my career plan to reinforce the importance of the earlier questions about research and/or field experience.

V/R

Members don't see this ad.