Mspe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read some of the other threads on this common subject, but hope that some of you could offer some advice.

I'm a FMG from Europe going to participate in the 2012 Match. I have everything ready, including 3 LOR's from US attendings. However, I don't have a MSPE and will not be able to get one. I attended a very large med school (2200 students), so the Dean has no time to write these letters. Actually they have a policy on not writing any letters at all.

Do you think this could hurt my application package, or would the prog directors understand the circumstances?

Thank you all for any advice offered.

Members don't see this ad.

I just read some of the other threads on this common subject, but hope that some of you could offer some advice.

I'm a FMG from Europe going to participate in the 2012 Match. I have everything ready, including 3 LOR's from US attendings. However, I don't have a MSPE and will not be able to get one. I attended a very large med school (2200 students), so the Dean has no time to write these letters. Actually they have a policy on not writing any letters at all.

Do you think this could hurt my application package, or would the prog directors understand the circumstances?

Thank you all for any advice offered.

I don't think there's a uniform answer. Some programs will understand and accept either nothing or a certificate of graduation in lieu of the MSPE, especially if you have a strong application otherwise. Some programs won't consider your application complete without the MSPE. You can always contact the programs you are considering and ask about their policy before you apply.

Thank you for your answer. I guess I just have to contact each program regarding this (just a lot of work considering I have to contact 50+ programs considering my FMG status).

I actually have a more standardized letter commenting on the curriculum of the school, including comments on the ability to work as a doctor, perform research etc. However, this letter isn't personalized (though it includes my name and the degree awarded). Do you think a letter like that would be acceptable?

I actually have a more standardized letter commenting on the curriculum of the school, including comments on the ability to work as a doctor, perform research etc. However, this letter isn't personalized (though it includes my name and the degree awarded). Do you think a letter like that would be acceptable?

You basically just described the MSPE.

The "dean's letter" is not actually a personalized letter from your dean. It's a letter from your school, and everyone's letter reads, more or less the same. It's a very standardized letter that mentions your grades from your clinical rotations, what your standardized test scores were, what your class rank was, etc.

Unfortunately it doesn't include my scores, grades, or class rank - only info about the curriculum etc. But maybe it's better than nothing?

Given that I expect many programs filter applications to determine if they are "complete" or not by the presence of an MSPE, submitting SOMETHING is much better than submitting NOTHING. In general, MSPE's from international schools are useless, so I expect that many programs will look at your 3 US letters much more than the MSPE. If you submit nothing, they may never see your application at all.