MSTP Interview Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if you guys (prospective MSTPers as well as those who have traveled this long and winding road) go/ went about preparing for the MSTP interviews? Are these pretty similar to the med school interviews or are there specific aspects of MSTP for which I ought to prepare? Are there places in this forum that direct one to sample interview questions on SDN or on the web (this is my first time in SD land so I apologize if these questions are superfluous)?

Grazie!

Members don't see this ad.

TJK said:
Hello everyone,

I am just wondering if you guys (prospective MSTPers as well as those who have traveled this long and winding road) go/ went about preparing for the MSTP interviews? Are these pretty similar to the med school interviews or are there specific aspects of MSTP for which I ought to prepare? Are there places in this forum that direct one to sample interview questions on SDN or on the web (this is my first time in SD land so I apologize if these questions are superfluous)?

Grazie!

"How to prepare for your interview"
http://www.intransit.us/faq/#14

http://www.intransit.us/guidebook/interviews.html

if you have other questions please ask.

Know your research well - you'll talk about it a lot. For some of my interviews last year, that's all I ended up talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's good to know how to sum up your research at several different levels of detail. Practice a 1 minute summary, for when you're walking down the hall with someone and they ask "so what was your research on?" A slighlty more detailed 5 minute summary is also good, for when someone asks about your research during lunch. Then of course you need to be able to talk about it in depth, because this will be the main topic of many of your interviews. If you've done a lot of research, someone might ask you to tell them about your favorite project, so figure that out in advance so you don't say ummmmmm for 5 minutes while deciding which one was your favorite :)

Then of course there are the standard questions to expect: why do you want both degrees, how do you envision splitting your research and clinical time in the future, yadda yadda yadda...

Do the research questions typically focus on your most recent laboratory, or could the interviewer ask just as many specific questions about a lab that you were in a few years ago?

tedrik said:
Do the research questions typically focus on your most recent laboratory, or could the interviewer ask just as many specific questions about a lab that you were in a few years ago?

Hehe, I had the same exact question. I was wondering how much I needed to refresh my memory about some summer research I did 2 years ago.

Yeah do interviewers ever press you about minor research you did a long time ago?

leverp2000 said:
Hehe, I had the same exact question. I was wondering how much I needed to refresh my memory about some summer research I did 2 years ago.

microTAS said:
Yeah do interviewers ever press you about minor research you did a long time ago?

Over the course of all my MSTP interviews I was eventually asked about all of the research that I had mentioned in my application. Some faculty chose to talk about research projects based on their personal interests and others chose because it was completely out of their field. I think if you mention it in your application, it is fair game to ask you about it. However, for me, I was asked the most questions about my undergraduate thesis (more than summer programs and industry internship).

you're quite welcome. 'Vader' was also integral to the sites creation, he contributed the 'guidebook' section. best of luck, and please send me reviews of programs where you interview (broken record, i know).

Importantly, be ready to talk about what field/whose lab/what topic you would like to do at the place you are interviewing at, and how you may contribute to the program with your particular background.

In addition to knowing your own stuff thoroughly, if you know ahead of time who is interviewing you, read up on their research interests. It will be an additional opportunity for you to exhibit your knowledge on a broad range of research topics and impress them.