MSTP vs. MD for public health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanktank7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying MSTP MD/PhD and want to do my research in a public health oriented field. Ideally in population genetics of infectious diseases, epi, or diagnostics/vaccine development (in that order). Ultimately I want to work as a clinical public health researcher BUT I want to transition into policy later in my career as a medical epidemiologist at the CDC. Im currently doing research at CDC as part of a post-bacc fellowship and love it.

Ive come up with two routes to do get qualified for such a position - MSTP with a public health research emphasis OR MD alone. I want my career to be 60% or more research so I feel like the MSTP is a better route. But, it seems like a MD alone could get me there faster. Either way, I want to do a preventive medicine residency (which grants an MPH) and infectious disease fellowship after either degree route.

This is my math:
MSTP or MD/PhD = 7-8 yrs with stipend average
MD = 4 yrs with debt average

The crux of my question: Is the additional research training of MSTP worth the extra 3-4 yrs to meet the ends of becoming a public health researcher? Would an MD alone get me this far earlier (remember Im doing the residency and fellowship either way) if so, worth the debt to save the time? My biggest question, why is it so uncommon for MSTP's to do preventive med residencies, is preventive med just so uncommon in general??

If you are an MSTP considering preventive med or at least public health oriented Id especially love to hear your feedback. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well with the preventive med residency you typically gain MPH in the first year so I guess Im really comparing: MSTP/MPH vs. MD/MPH

Members don't see this ad :)
in my program of ~ 80 people there are at least 2 people doing what you propose.

the official word is that this isn't what exactly the program is designed for, but I actually think this is an excellent pathway. the 250k debt makes a lot of difference later on for choosing a less lucrative, public-health oriented research career.

if you think you are qualified to do MD/PhD in public health, definitely apply, but I'd worry more about keeping your stories straight. for instance, i'd get more involved in public health research before applying. doing a ton of isolation of genes is hard to convince anyone that you want to do public health.

I don't think it makes sense to do a PhD in public health and then do a MPH later as part of a preventive medicine residency (since the PhD is a higher degree). I guess a PhD in a related field (i.e. microbiology) then a MPH as part of your residency makes more sense- yet why get a PhD in a field you are not as interested in? Also- are the positive that you can do an infectious disease fellowship after a preventive medicine residency? I thought you had to do either internal medicine or pediatrics to go into ID.

in my program of ~ 80 people there are at least 2 people doing what you propose.

the official word is that this isn't what exactly the program is designed for, but I actually think this is an excellent pathway. the 250k debt makes a lot of difference later on for choosing a less lucrative, public-health oriented research career.

if you think you are qualified to do MD/PhD in public health, definitely apply, but I'd worry more about keeping your stories straight. for instance, i'd get more involved in public health research before applying. doing a ton of isolation of genes is hard to convince anyone that you want to do public health.

Hey Sluox, what type of program are you in and referring to the 2 people? MSTP going for Preventive med? I am only applying to MD/PhD's where there is an option to do research in the school of public health or ID department. I think a lot more of the joint programs are opening up to the idea of translational public health; however, they still refer to it as "non-traditional"

Hey Sluox, what type of program are you in and referring to the 2 people? MSTP going for Preventive med? I am only applying to MD/PhD's where there is an option to do research in the school of public health or ID department. I think a lot more of the joint programs are opening up to the idea of translational public health; however, they still refer to it as "non-traditional"

i'm in a relatively large MSTP. The two people are both MD/PhDs, but they did their PhD in public health. (There is a public health school on campus). It *IS* considered non-traditional. You need to usually clear the waters w/ the program director prior to apply, or risk getting rejected quickly.

Im applying to 10 schools, all of which list public health or epi PhD as options. Ive also been doing 2 years of research in public health so I feel like my reasons are solid. I do realize its not a typical choice but I dont see why Id risk rejection for taking them up on an option that they offer themselves...Ill do my research though, thanks for the advice.

Im applying to 10 schools, all of which list public health or epi PhD as options.

I am also considering try to do a MD/PhD(epi/public health). What are the schools that you know that offer these?

What's considered good prep for MD/PhD in epi? I will have an MPH in epi (w/ thesis), 1 year neuro-science research, and 1 year of epi reseach. Is this enough to be a good candidate? I also have the standard clinical experience and volunteering for the MD.

Well Im looking at some MSTP's/MD-PhD's that offer epi phd's but also programs that have opportunities in infectious disease programs, not necessarily in a school of public health. Heres my list

Hopkins
Emory
NYU
Case Western
Albert Einstein
University of Washington
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Maryland
University of Alabama Birmingham

I had more schools but I cut them based on my location biases etc. I also used US News for a list of top med schools (sort by research funding) and top schools of public health. Correlate the two and you can get a good idea of where to begin looking then find particular programs.

Hopkins
Emory
NYU
Case Western
Albert Einstein
University of Washington
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Maryland
University of Alabama Birmingham

Penn accepts the most non-lab-based MD/PhDs of any program I know of, including 2 epi acceptances for this year's MS-1 class.
Chicago's MD/PhD program will let you do a PhD in anything.
Harvard will consider you for it through the Social Science Track.
UDub and UNC are already listed, but are worth reiterating.