MSU-COM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey thanks for the link! I got the deposit paid today w/ a confirm, phew!

Yeahh I'd definitely be down for getting a good plan together for being competitive for both osteo and allo surgery residencies. In the end, I think I'm looking to do ortho or trauma surgery...trauma would probably be either a gen surg or IM residency with an acute critical care fellowship, whereas ortho is a bit more straightforward, but probably more competitive. In any case, I'm pretty open to changing my mind but I'm almost positive it'll be some kind of surgery. I like to plan ahead too and I'd rather be OVER prepared than under prepared for something like this...hopefully we can work on this together and with some others!

DancingDO what site are you gonna be at? I'll be at the DMC one..

Members don't see this ad.

People asking questions about books.. WAIT. You will be set-up with a Big Sib (as long as you request it) and ask them about what books to buy... I bought many un-necessary books during my first year (didn't ask anyone.. figured i'd want them. wrong. haha :]). If you're worried about anatomy, you'll need a Netters or Rohen (both are nice). If anyone has any questions let me know!

People asking questions about books.. WAIT. You will be set-up with a Big Sib (as long as you request it) and ask them about what books to buy... I bought many un-necessary books during my first year (didn't ask anyone.. figured i'd want them. wrong. haha :]). If you're worried about anatomy, you'll need a Netters or Rohen (both are nice). If anyone has any questions let me know!

hey I was actually wondering...do you need to purchase an iclicker? and is there specific readings that are assigned to the books or can you just take the exams with material present in the lecture? The reason I ask is that a lot of books were "required" for my higher level college bio courses but we never used them and I aced the exams without them, so just wanted some advice on your end bout that.

thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Yes, you need an Iclicker. It is used for quizzes in labs and for taking attendance at mandatory lectures. I think I purchased mine with all my orientation bundle stuff? I don't remember.. but I know I was told that I needed to buy one.

Books--exactly as you said. So far, the information in the coursepack is pretty sufficient and the required books aren't needed. The only ones I have that I would recommend would be Netter's Atlas and the histology book (for fall/spring semesters). That's it. All of the required/recommended books will be available in the resource center if you want to cross reference when studying.

hey I was actually wondering...do you need to purchase an iclicker? and is there specific readings that are assigned to the books or can you just take the exams with material present in the lecture? The reason I ask is that a lot of books were "required" for my higher level college bio courses but we never used them and I aced the exams without them, so just wanted some advice on your end bout that.

thanks a lot!

Yes, you need an Iclicker. It is used for quizzes in labs and for taking attendance at mandatory lectures. I think I purchased mine with all my orientation bundle stuff? I don't remember.. but I know I was told that I needed to buy one.

Books--exactly as you said. So far, the information in the coursepack is pretty sufficient and the required books aren't needed. The only ones I have that I would recommend would be Netter's Atlas and the histology book (for fall/spring semesters). That's it. All of the required/recommended books will be available in the resource center if you want to cross reference when studying.

So if you do not buy most of the books (which I am all for saving money), then what do you use to study for the boards? Do you buy other books for that? Like Kaplan?

So if you do not buy most of the books (which I am all for saving money), then what do you use to study for the boards? Do you buy other books for that? Like Kaplan?

Yeah, I think most students by a First Aid for USMLE book, a OMM Book by Saverese, and buy access to board question banks like COMbank and others.

MSUCOM doesnt really give you summers off.

True, true... but from what you know though, do MSUCOM students take part in some kind of research or no? I tried looking at the website for the Office of Research and the Medical student/Residents page has been "under construction" for a while.

True, true... but from what you know though, do MSUCOM students take part in some kind of research or no? I tried looking at the website for the Office of Research and the Medical student/Residents page has been "under construction" for a while.

Not all med students do research...it really depends on a) what specialty you want to get into and b) your passion for research. If the specialty you want to get into isn't competitive (and I can't imagine a specialty that isn't) then research would be good, but shouldn't be a priority. However if you want to do an ultracompetitve specialty residency, then you better have good research and presentations to back you up because you can sure as heck bet all your other competitors will have those notches on their belt when they apply.

Not all med students do research...it really depends on a) what specialty you want to get into and b) your passion for research. If the specialty you want to get into isn't competitive (and I can't imagine a specialty that isn't) then research would be good, but shouldn't be a priority. However if you want to do an ultracompetitve specialty residency, then you better have good research and presentations to back you up because you can sure as heck bet all your other competitors will have those notches on their belt when they apply.

I never said all med students do research, I said they usually do. I also said that in context of you mentioning how you were interested in applying to some competitive allopathic programs, which like you said, requires research... :rolleyes: lol

Back to the loan disbursement talk...I got a pretty sweet email yesterday from MSU saying that their records indicate I may be entitled to a refund as early as May 10th as long as I'm enrolled in class and have direct deposit (both done). So looks like some of us will be able to get the loans early..I'm not sure the criteria on this, maybe just how quickly we filled out all the forms, etc.? Anyway, just wanted to give anyone who's interested the heads up.

Back to the loan disbursement talk...I got a pretty sweet email yesterday from MSU saying that their records indicate I may be entitled to a refund as early as May 10th as long as I'm enrolled in class and have direct deposit (both done). So looks like some of us will be able to get the loans early..I'm not sure the criteria on this, maybe just how quickly we filled out all the forms, etc.? Anyway, just wanted to give anyone who's interested the heads up.

Our records indicate you may be entitled to a refund as early as May 10 if you have first session classes AND complete the Direct Deposit Enrollment in STUINFO before May 7, 2010 at 5 PM.

I think the key here is FIRST session classes.... at least at my undergrad school we had multiple summer sessions... so I am thinking we aren't included in this as we probably aren't the first session... but it would be awesome!

Oh that is true...somehow I think we wouldn't be getting the email though if it didn't apply to us. The financial aid office we go through is specifically for med students..but you're right, maybe it's really for MS2s that are starting their summer session before we start anatomy. If I get more info (might call the office this week) I'll update :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is for the current first years. We're done May 7 and start again May 17 so we get our money on May 10 (for ALL summer). You will get your money about 5-7 days before you begin classes, so don't plan on having it until the last week of June. It's all considered one summer semester but you don't get the money until right before classes

Oh that is true...somehow I think we wouldn't be getting the email though if it didn't apply to us. The financial aid office we go through is specifically for med students..but you're right, maybe it's really for MS2s that are starting their summer session before we start anatomy. If I get more info (might call the office this week) I'll update :)

There's not much for research @ COM except for the Do/Phd students. I don't know of anyone I'm in class with now that is doing research with school. There might be a few who continued with research from undergrad (such as @ the DMC, etc) but no one that I know of. We also haven't really been given any opportunities to do any.

One thing that is somewhat "research". A group of students go to Peru each August (1st years.. so you could go in August 2011) and they have a small research project they are doing with mineral intake & the disease in children there. They get info every year and compare. That's the extent of anything I have heard of.

I never said all med students do research, I said they usually do. I also said that in context of you mentioning how you were interested in applying to some competitive allopathic programs, which like you said, requires research... :rolleyes: lol

This is for the current first years. We're done May 7 and start again May 17 so we get our money on May 10 (for ALL summer). You will get your money about 5-7 days before you begin classes, so don't plan on having it until the last week of June. It's all considered one summer semester but you don't get the money until right before classes

I think this is true, when I spoke to the lady at the med finaid office she told me that federal guidelines say they can't disburse any student finaid until 10 days before the start of the first class, so it may online apply to current first years.

There's not much for research @ COM except for the Do/Phd students. I don't know of anyone I'm in class with now that is doing research with school. There might be a few who continued with research from undergrad (such as @ the DMC, etc) but no one that I know of. We also haven't really been given any opportunities to do any.

One thing that is somewhat "research". A group of students go to Peru each August (1st years.. so you could go in August 2011) and they have a small research project they are doing with mineral intake & the disease in children there. They get info every year and compare. That's the extent of anything I have heard of.

Thanks for insight and info! :)

Thanks for insight and info! :)

ya i've heard the same thing about research opportunities in general...it will be a big shift for me because i'm coming from U of M where you can get research experience anywhere..but there are opportunitites if you look hard enough aand for those willing to drive, U of M offers excellent research opportunities to med students...although I'd imagine they'd give preference to their own med students first.

Okay, thank you for the info!

the fact we dont get a refund till so late is very annoying

Last edited:
1. iclicker: How should we get it? Should we get it now? Did we get any information on this?

2. Parking permit: For those in East Lansing site, did you get an information on parking permit for fall semester?

3. Orientation: So, our orientation is on 24th. The white coat ceremony is on 25th. What things are going on in orientation?

4. Housing: did everyone find an apt/house/dormitory?

1. iclicker: How should we get it? Should we get it now? Did we get any information on this?

You can get it at any of the bookstores or online. Just wait and buy it with your books for anatomy. If you're really eager this is what you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/i-clicker-Cla...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272981442&sr=8-1

2. Parking permit: For those in East Lansing site, did you get an information on parking permit for fall semester?
They haven't sent out info about getting a parking permit for fall but you don't need to really worry about it until the end of summer. More info at http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/Importantinformationletter2010.html and http://dpps.msu.edu/permits.asp .

3. Orientation: So, our orientation is on 24th. The white coat ceremony is on 25th. What things are going on in orientation?
Our schedule isn't up yet, but here is the schedule for last year's orientation: http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/OrientationSchedule.xls

Yes, http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/20092010HousingInfo.xls if you need a listing of apartments, there are a ton of them.

Last edited:
So I did my fingerprints long time ago but haven't heard any confirmation. Does MSUCOM let us know that they received it, or do we have to ask them?

Does anyone know how our summer schedule is going to be? I know we have lecture from 8-10 Mon-Fri. I'm wondering how lab is going to work, specifically at MUC if anyone knows. I saw somewhere that it looked like lab was from 10-4 or 5 every day but that seems like a long time!! Thanks for the help!

The iClicker was in the orientation order form for last year's class I believe (I clicked on the wrong form on the website) but not on our form...I'm just going to wait to get it with my books. I'm not getting a permit- the Eyde company, which runs several apartment complexes, lets med student residents park there for free. It's a short walk to campus.
I got confirmed (today!) for an apartment at Somerset Park, which is owned by the Eyde Company (they also own Club Meridian and Central Park, which I think are popular apartments). Somerset is a little out of the way (about 15 mins w/o traffic), but since they are new they are offering great deals. I'm getting 2 months of free rent on my 12 month lease :) I haven't done my fingerprinting yet...I was going to wait until I'm finished with finals next week. Is that going to give me enough time?

The iClicker was in the orientation order form for last year's class I believe (I clicked on the wrong form on the website) but not on our form...I'm just going to wait to get it with my books. I'm not getting a permit- the Eyde company, which runs several apartment complexes, lets med student residents park there for free. It's a short walk to campus.
I got confirmed (today!) for an apartment at Somerset Park, which is owned by the Eyde Company (they also own Club Meridian and Central Park, which I think are popular apartments). Somerset is a little out of the way (about 15 mins w/o traffic), but since they are new they are offering great deals. I'm getting 2 months of free rent on my 12 month lease :) I haven't done my fingerprinting yet...I was going to wait until I'm finished with finals next week. Is that going to give me enough time?

I just got my apartment at Somerset Park too. I move in may 15th.

Does anyone know how our summer schedule is going to be? I know we have lecture from 8-10 Mon-Fri. I'm wondering how lab is going to work, specifically at MUC if anyone knows. I saw somewhere that it looked like lab was from 10-4 or 5 every day but that seems like a long time!! Thanks for the help!

the following is an email I received from Bill Falls regarding our summer schedule:

As for Summer Anatomy the official schedule has not been released. I can tell you that each day you will have two hours of lecture from 8:00 – 10:00 am. Each student will then be assigned two hours of official laboratory each day. The laboratories are in two hours blocks and run from approximately 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Each day students will alternate laboratory times so you will not have the same time all summer. In addition, the laboratory will be open on evenings and weekends for individual/group study.
You will be notified, hopefully before Orientation, when the official schedule is released and your laboratory group assignment.

Hopes this helps you guys!

the following is an email I received from Bill Falls regarding our summer schedule:

As for Summer Anatomy the official schedule has not been released. I can tell you that each day you will have two hours of lecture from 8:00 – 10:00 am. Each student will then be assigned two hours of official laboratory each day. The laboratories are in two hours blocks and run from approximately 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Each day students will alternate laboratory times so you will not have the same time all summer. In addition, the laboratory will be open on evenings and weekends for individual/group study.
You will be notified, hopefully before Orientation, when the official schedule is released and your laboratory group assignment.

Awesome, that helps a lot, I mostly just wanted to know if we were going to be in class 2 or 10 hour a day haha, 4 sounds good...thank you!!

Ah very cool! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing that email katwaa!

I have a couple of random questions...I skimmed the other posts, but I apologize if these have already been covered and didn't see them.

1) Does MSU participate in AOA?

2) What is the grading sysem for preclerkship and the clerkship years? Is it just pass/fail or is there an honors/high pass, etc. system?

Thanks!

Awesome, that helps a lot, I mostly just wanted to know if we were going to be in class 2 or 10 hour a day haha, 4 sounds good...thank you!!

I certainly agree w/ this.

Thanks for sharing that email katwaa!

I have a couple of random questions...I skimmed the other posts, but I apologize if these have already been covered and didn't see them.

2) What is the grading sysem for preclerkship and the clerkship years? Is it just pass/fail or is there an honors/high pass, etc. system?

Thanks!

dancing..I actually shared that email..not katwaa hahha. aanyway yest MSUCOM does participate in AOA, you pretty much have to nowadays.

preclerkship is pass/fail according to my conversations with the dean..however if you get above a 92% you will get a special deans letter saying so. there is no such thing as honors or high pass over there..just that deans remark on your transcript saying you're a smart cookie.

clerkship is also pass fail...but i'm not too sure on this one. all I know is that they will distinguish you by writing letters on your behalf to residency programs if they like you. I'm actually shadowing one of the first neurosurgeons to graduate from MSUCOM right now, I'll ask him if he knows anything about this...

Since you're asking about grades in question #2, I assume you mean Alpha Omega Alpha for question #1?

Alpha Omega Alpha is only for allopathic schools. Sigma Sigma Phi is the osteopathic counterpart honor society. MSUCOM does SSP but I'm not sure how selection works because the classes are P/F. I think the grading criteria is no "N" (No grade/fail) on your transcript, though I'm not quite sure on that.

Oh my bad stockraider...anyway, I checked out the AOA website and from what I read, it kept saying "medical school", and didn't distinguish between osteopath vs. allopath so I wasn't sure if MSU participated or not. Thanks for the info about grades! I'm sure we'll figure it all out once we get there, I was just curious.

Hello everyone!
New admit - Macomb site! Very excited! :soexcited:
Class of 2014!

First of all GO GREEN GO WHITE!!!

LOL. Now that I got that outta my system, I need an apartment near the Macomb site. PM me with suggestions please!!!!! Thanks! :love:

YAY!!! Congrats and welcome!
Thank you! Do you know when we will use our scrubs? Can we purchase a set from a local store or do we have to buy them from MSU?

First of all GO GREEN GO WHITE!!!

LOL. Now that I got that outta my system, I need an apartment near the Macomb site. PM me with suggestions please!!!!! Thanks! :love:
Thank you! I haven't started looking for apartments yet. When I find some I will let you know.

Thank you! Do you know when we will use our scrubs? Can we purchase a set from a local store or do we have to buy them from MSU?

This is a guess, so any MS1's here can correct me, but I think for anatomy the scrubs we use will probably be thrown out at the end of the summer. I bought a pair of MSU scrubs to keep for clinical times and plan to buy cheap scrubs for anatomy this summer.

This is a guess, so any MS1's here can correct me, but I think for anatomy the scrubs we use will probably be thrown out at the end of the summer. I bought a pair of MSU scrubs to keep for clinical times and plan to buy cheap scrubs for anatomy this summer.

I would agree with this, I heard that formaldehyde really sticks to clothes.

Thank you! I haven't started looking for apartments yet. When I find some I will let you know.

Thanks!!! I will PM you with some info as well. I want to move in at least a week or two before orientation so I need to get this process started ASAP. :)

I would agree with this, I heard that formaldehyde really sticks to clothes.

The formaldehyde (odor) does have the tendency to get in everything: hair, clothes, food... everything. lol

But at the same time, it's really not as bad as everyone make it out to be. Yes it stinks, but a good wash gets the smell out. :)

I did a cadaver dissection in a 10-day long bio class at my school and it wasn't preserved in formaldehyde thankfully..I think it was some sort of ether. I'm almost positive they don't use formaldehyde anymore...nonetheless, it still doesn't smell great and I did throw away my scrubs after 10 days. :)

This sounds fine. Everyone wears a nice crisp lab coat and blue scrubs at first, but by the end of the summer people wear either scrubs or an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt with their dingy lab coat.

You didn't really need to buy MSU scrubs for clinical rotations though. For third & fourth year you wear business casual clothes with your short white coat. If you're going to be in the OR or ER, they have scrubs for you to change into at the hospital.

This sounds fine. Everyone wears a nice crisp lab coat and blue scrubs at first, but by the end of the summer people wear either scrubs or an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt with their dingy lab coat.

You didn't really need to buy MSU scrubs for clinical rotations though. For third & fourth year you wear business casual clothes with your short white coat. If you're going to be in the OR or ER, they have scrubs for you to change into at the hospital.
Thanks jason3278. You have just saved me a lot of money!

Hey guys, could you tell me if your Stuinfo still says, "You need to complete Graduate Plus Entrance Counseling"? I did the entrance counseling like when it first appeared, and I believe it was for both for Stafford and Grad Plus.

Does your Stuinfo still have that link? Also, mine is still waiting for a credit check.

Please give me some light! Thanks!

Hey guys, could you tell me if your Stuinfo still says, "You need to complete Graduate Plus Entrance Counseling"? I did the entrance counseling like when it first appeared, and I believe it was for both for Stafford and Grad Plus.

Does your Stuinfo still have that link? Also, mine is still waiting for a credit check.

Please give me some light! Thanks!

Yeah, it's the same way for me. I think MSU just hasn't updated their system to show who has done the entrance counseling. I think it will probably take care of itself when enrollment for fall/spring comes around.