MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm kind of surprised I didn't get my secondary today...don't they usually come out on Tuesdays?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm kind of surprised I didn't get my secondary today...don't they usually come out on Tuesdays?
im not sure about each school...i know that AACOMAS sends out applications to the schools end of Tuesday (most schools send me secondaries on wednesdays)

I looked through my email history and I received my secondary on a Friday. Typically I believe they extend their offers for admission/acceptances on Tuesdays or Wednesdays...I received that on a Tuesday, but I believe I remember many others receiving those emails on Wednesdays as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
im not sure about each school...i know that AACOMAS sends out applications to the schools end of Tuesday (most schools send me secondaries on wednesdays)

Oh okay I thought AACOMAS sent them out Mondays and schools on Tuesdays...had my days wrong. Thanks!

You know you really want to attend this med school when you see an email from "MSUCOM Admissions" in your inbox and almost have a heart attack.

...too bad it was only an update on site assignment methodology.
:smack:

On the bright side....2 more weeks until the first Wednesday of September!!!! :D

^^ I experienced the exact same thing today! Almost hyperventilated before opening it up :oops:

Anyone with a deferred acceptance from last cycle? I'm wondering when they're going to call to confirm and what I can do in advance to streamline the process (i.e. financial aid, immunizations, finger-printing, etc.). Thanks! And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. It's early so don't worry and stay positive. I didn't get my acceptance until June and I was complete in August! Basically, it ain't over 'til it's over.

Oh also, FWIW, I was waitlisted on a Thursday and accepted on a Friday... so it doesn't necessarily have to happen on a Wednesday. If you don't hear back on a Wednesday, it's not a big deal. I used to check my email religiously on Wednesdays so I know how it feels to be disappointed when nothing happens.

Anyone with a deferred acceptance from last cycle? I'm wondering when they're going to call to confirm and what I can do in advance to streamline the process (i.e. financial aid, immunizations, finger-printing, etc.). Thanks! And good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back. It's early so don't worry and stay positive. I didn't get my acceptance until June and I was complete in August! Basically, it ain't over 'til it's over.

I deferred my acceptance as well. In late June, MSUCOM emailed to remind me they would be contacting me in September to confirm that I'll be joining the class of 2016. I'd be surprised if they didn't send you a similar email...but anyways, I'm sure they'll send all of the information soon enough after you confirm your seat. If you're really in a hurry to start those requirements I guess you could ask about that when the admissions office contacts you next month. Either way, you should have more than enough time to get everything done by June :)

What campus are you planning on attending? I'll be requesting to go to EL.

I deferred my acceptance as well. In late June, MSUCOM emailed to remind me they would be contacting me in September to confirm that I'll be joining the class of 2016. I'd be surprised if they didn't send you a similar email...but anyways, I'm sure they'll send all of the information soon enough after you confirm your seat. If you're really in a hurry to start those requirements I guess you could ask about that when the admissions office contacts you next month. Either way, you should have more than enough time to get everything done by June :)

What campus are you planning on attending? I'll be requesting to go to EL.

Thanks for the response. I was asking because I'll be finishing up my master's degree in the fall and it's going to get busy really fast. You're right though, I should have enough time. Do we get a campus choice? I remember getting an email saying the site assignments don't carry over and something about a lottery. I'd choose EL :)

Hello all,

In the secondary personal essay, could we talk about a personal experience that was not related to medicine, but nonetheless helped me develop a skill that would be useful to me as a future physician? Or does it have to medically related? Thanks!

That sounds like it would be fine. You can have many experiences that are not necessarily medically related that have helped shaped your character and provided you with skills necessary to be a physician!

I'm getting excited for september!

Members don't see this ad :)
We heard all about the new curriculum your class will have - I'm kind of jealous!

Hello all,

In the secondary personal essay, could we talk about a personal experience that was not related to medicine, but nonetheless helped me develop a skill that would be useful to me as a future physician? Or does it have to medically related? Thanks!

Definitely does not have to be medically related. Just has to be a meaningful experience that you learned from. I'd definitely relate it back to medicine though and talk about how it will make you a better or more unique physician.

So, do they start offering acceptances before the Oct. 15th date? Is that day only used for MD schools?

At least I thought they already met today *shrug*. If not, my bad haha. Learn to enjoy the waiting game on Wednesdays :)

At least I thought they already met today *shrug*. If not, my bad haha. Learn to enjoy the waiting game on Wednesdays :)

I thought it would be after labour day, but that would be cool! Look forward to meeting everyone here on wednesdays!!:laugh:

Oh wow, that is awesome! I just got my MCAT score back yesterday and it isn't what I hoped for but it is MSU's average. They are my first choice so I just hope they like everything else on my application. I will be submitting my secondary this week sometime. Good luck everyone! I can't wait to start seeing people get accepted!

How long did it take to get a secondary from MSU after your AACOMAS application was released? I have received all of my secondaries except for MSU and I am getting impatient.:sleep: Thanks.

How long did it take to get a secondary from MSU after your AACOMAS application was released? I have received all of my secondaries except for MSU and I am getting impatient.:sleep: Thanks.

My aacomas was verified last Monday...supposedly released to schools on Friday and I just got my MSUCOM secondary today...it was the last one I got too.

released from aacomas 6:23
got the secondary 7/5
submitted secondary 7/28 (was due 8/5)

My aacomas was verified last Monday...supposedly released to schools on Friday and I just got my MSUCOM secondary today...it was the last one I got too.
Those are the exact dates my AACOMAS app was verified and released. However, don't MSU's secondaries come in the mail instead of online?

Those are the exact dates my AACOMAS app was verified and released. However, don't MSU's secondaries come in the mail instead of online?

YOU mail them in. Its and email with access to the documents.

Hey guys, I am new to the SDN and I need some advice. I am re-applying to MSUCOM as I did not get in last year due to me applying really late as well as a low mcat score. I took the mcat again this summer and improved slightly but not as high as I wanted. My GPA is around a 3.8 and I have over 1200 hours of community service plus job hours and EC. What are my chances? My admission status was completed this afternoon. Also, in terms of the essay, I only changed my secondary slightly because what I talked about was really important to me and deeply affected my choice in becoming a physician. Do you guys think that will hurt me? I did do a lot of tutoring this year so I hope they don't think I kept my secondary application exactly the same. I am so nervous:(

What kind of changes to the curriculum will be made?

Basically they're revamping everything to reduce redundancy and increase retention. Also, the two schools will be separated - there won't be any classes with the MD school anymore as both schools are undergoing curriculum changes.

Anatomy will be taught along with your first OMM course in order to blend those two together. All of the basic science courses (Physio, biochem, etc.) will be taught in an integrated fashion in order to blend the concepts. Overall this will reduce the overall content volume, and give you more time to study for boards.

Basically they're revamping everything to reduce redundancy and increase retention. Also, the two schools will be separated - there won't be any classes with the MD school anymore as both schools are undergoing curriculum changes.

Anatomy will be taught along with your first OMM course in order to blend those two together. All of the basic science courses (Physio, biochem, etc.) will be taught in an integrated fashion in order to blend the concepts. Overall this will reduce the overall content volume, and give you more time to study for boards.

Ooh, this sounds nice. Can't wait to hear/read more about it. Thanks!

could you link a source please?

could you link a source please?

lol. There aren't going to be any published sources for this. It's all internal discussion.

However I can back Phil Dunphy on 100% of his statement. In addition, clinical skills and DPR and intro to clinical skills will be merged into a 4 semester mega course. Also FWIW, CHM will likely be leaving East Lansing entirely.

lol. There aren't going to be any published sources for this. It's all internal discussion.

However I can back Phil Dunphy on 100% of his statement. In addition, clinical skills and DPR and intro to clinical skills will be merged into a 4 semester mega course. Also FWIW, CHM will likely be leaving East Lansing entirely.

That's insane! Where are they talking about moving them to?

Hi all-

Anyone know when adcom starts to meet? Good luck to everyone!!!!!! :)

Hi all-

Anyone know when adcom starts to meet? Good luck to everyone!!!!!! :)

I think they start sending out acceptances this coming wednesday. When I visited the EL campus I was told after labour day.

That's insane! Where are they talking about moving them to?

To their brand new $100m building in Grand Rapids. Half of CHM is already there. They actually bus the CHM East Lansing people to Grand Rapids for the white coat ceremony lol.

I can imagine the schools being separated around 2015 when COM has a new building (also costing $100m+). Though I imagine a lot of the basic science lectures will still be broadcasted in a similar manner as they are now.

I am having trouble accessing my secondary.

When I log in the site, it says "You are not authorized to view the secondary application.To view secondary application, your current status must be "Incomplete". "

Anyone else have this problem?

I am having trouble accessing my secondary.

When I log in the site, it says "You are not authorized to view the secondary application.To view secondary application, your current status must be "Incomplete". "

Anyone else have this problem?

Is your application complete? If it is then you won't have access anymore.

No, I never filled out a secondary. I just received an email from MSU on 9/2 for filling out a secondary. But when I log in, I get this message.

To their brand new $100m building in Grand Rapids. Half of CHM is already there. They actually bus the CHM East Lansing people to Grand Rapids for the white coat ceremony lol.

I can imagine the schools being separated around 2015 when COM has a new building (also costing $100m+). Though I imagine a lot of the basic science lectures will still be broadcasted in a similar manner as they are now.

I didn't realize there was enough room for everyone to have all their basic science courses there. Interesting that they would move the MD students away from the base campus. Thanks.

No, I never filled out a secondary. I just received an email from MSU on 9/2 for filling out a secondary. But when I log in, I get this message.

I would call the school then.

So it has been two weeks since my application has been released to MSU and I still haven't received a secondary. Would it be a good idea to call to make sure they received the application? I know some of them have a tendency to get lost.

So it has been two weeks since my application has been released to MSU and I still haven't received a secondary. Would it be a good idea to call to make sure they received the application? I know some of them have a tendency to get lost.

No - I received my secondary three weeks after my primary was released to them.

If I'm not mistaken, tomorrow is the first wave of acceptances!!

Good Luck everyone!! :D:D

Good luck to you too shinny437! *fingers crossed!!!!*