MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and one more good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Does MSU send out a verification e-mail when your application is considered complete?

And good luck to everyone :D

Does MSU send out a verification e-mail when your application is considered complete?

And good luck to everyone :D

yes they do! and good luck everyone, lets hope we get those acceptances tomorrow

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! :)

27Q cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.83 IS non-trad!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :luck:

ACCEPTED!!! :)

27Q cGPA: 3.82 sGPA: 3.83 IS non-trad!!

GOOD LUCK!!! :luck:

those look like my stats lol..

27Q - 7-10-10 (VR= 7) Non-trad degrees: BSEE MBA
Pre-med gpa 3.97

Last edited:
those look like my stats lol..

27Q - 7-10-10 (VR= 7) Non-trad degrees: BSEE MBA
Pre-med gpa 3.97 cGPA 3.82

10BS-8VR-9PS BSN Nursing class of 2010. Current registered nurse!!
Congrats to you!!

10BS-8VR-9PS BSN Nursing class of 2010. Current registered nurse!!
Congrats to you!!

congrats to you too!

Which campus are you leaning towards? I need/want to live in Royal oak... so Detroit or Macomb hopefully for me.

congrats to you too!

Which campus are you leaning towards? I need/want to live in Royal oak... so Detroit or Macomb hopefully for me.

I'm not sure yet. I actually work at the Detroit Medical Center now and went to undergrad in Detroit. I live in Southfield now. I love the area, but I'm kind of ready for something new. I'm between Detroit and EL. Royal Oak is such a great place to live. Although I heard that the Detroit campus is amazing because everything is new. I know that the students in Detroit are exposed to a vast array of medical scenarios. I guess what you would expect from an urban area. So I'm torn. But I am going to visit both.

Congrats to you guys!! What a great way to start a morning :)

Can I ask when you guys were complete with your applications?

Can I ask when you guys were complete with your applications?

released from aacomas 6/23
got the secondary 7/5
submitted secondary 7/28 (was due 8/5)
Emailed Saying I was complete 7/29

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just been reading about the 800 volunteer service 'requirement'. I have 500 hours of community service but 3000 hours of extra-curricular involvement....should I still be okay?

I've just been reading about the 800 volunteer service 'requirement'. I have 500 hours of community service but 3000 hours of extra-curricular involvement....should I still be okay?

Katie Molina told me that was kind of the number they shoot for as being good, but told me that my 550 was okay taking into account my other stats. I also have a lot more extracurriculars so I'm hoping they look at those.

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! Take your time and tour each of the campuses and their surrounding areas if you're unsure.

Congrats to everyone on your acceptances! Take your time and tour each of the campuses and their surrounding areas if you're unsure.

What are good apartments for Students at the EL campus?

Good apartment = away from party going undergrads and still nice

Glenwood and Berry Tree are decent, and slightly away from campus but not far at all. They're probably a 5 min bike ride to the med school classes. The Hamptons are in the area also but they're a little bit pricey since they're supposed to be very nice.

lol Berrytree is a dump and full of undergrads who party. All but one of my ~20 friends who lived there for first year ended up moving somewhere else.

Don't be afraid to take a 10-15 minute commute to school, a lot of students live in the Meridian and Okemos area. The administration has a good spreadsheet with aggregate reviews of housing, ask them for it (they will eventually send you an email about it in the Spring).

can we get an extension on the secondary deadline (for the LORs)? i just heard from one of my referee that she may be late in submitting the form... :(

can we get an extension on the secondary deadline (for the LORs)? i just heard from one of my referee that she may be late in submitting the form... :(

Yes, it is as easy as an e-mail. Explain why you need an extension. I got a reply very quickly and got about a week extension so if your evaluator needs longer than that, put that in your e-mail. Good luck.

To anyone who has been accepted and those who will be...I have a question. I received the acceptance letter and paperwork in the mail. It says that all materials and deposit is due on Dec. 1. It also says that the balance on the deposit is due Feb 1. So the deposit can be turned in later than the paperwork? The wording is strange... :confused:

To anyone who has been accepted and those who will be...I have a question. I received the acceptance letter and paperwork in the mail. It says that all materials and deposit is due on Dec. 1. It also says that the balance on the deposit is due Feb 1. So the deposit can be turned in later than the paperwork? The wording is strange... :confused:

Yea I noticed that as well. I guess the payment can be later... I plan to get my materials submitted soon... then pay when I can.

Dear Wednesday,

I hope you have a present that comes in the form of an acceptance e-mail for some of us MSU hopefuls. :p

Yours truly,
Kalamazoo

ahh I had such a great shadowing experience today that my week couldn't get any better, well maybe with an acceptance tomorrow....good luck everyone else!!!

just to throw it out there--MSUCOM has an "msucom student for a day" program where they hook you up with a student and you get to go to classes with them. I'm doing it next month :)

Just a couple fyis, take them for what they're worth and be sure to ask about it on your tour - don't let them dodge your questions about it:

The new curriculum plans are such a highly integrated format that the extended program has been canceled, effective already. This probably doesn't mean much for you however it means if you run into academic problems or life problems (such has having a kid) you will forced to take a leave of absence (read: redo a year) rather than go onto the extended 5 year plan.

More importantly, this also means you can bet COM and CHM are going to be 100% separated in the very near future.

They're also discussing the possibility of removing the P/F system and going to a grades and/or percentiles only system. I can only assume this will change the school's laid back, non-gunnerish style.

Good luck on getting one of the thirty acceptances tomorrow!

Good luck today everyone. Let's get some Canadian acceptances today!!

It's very quite hear, I'm assuming since I haven't heard anything yet another week of waiting :confused: thus the anxiety continues to build.

last year sometimes the acceptances came out between 1 and 2....waiting suckssssssssss

We all could only hope that the person sending them out today was either in a meeting or sick and we'll all get our acceptances later today or tomorrow.:rolleyes:
Wishful thinking.

We all could only hope that the person sending them out today was either in a meeting or sick and we'll all get our acceptances later today or tomorrow.:rolleyes:
Wishful thinking.

I like you're thinking! I'm hoping your right :p

Guess not lol :( Oh well, maybe next week! Congrats to all who were accepted!