MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have that email, I just didn't get the official pack in the mail yet, so I was just wondering if that's when we put down our choices.

EL shouldn't be a problem for most people because it will have the most students. I'm choosing DMC first, then EL.

Members don't see this ad.

That sucks big time... I guess I'm going to have to put down a deposit for my second choice school just in case I am not placed in East Lansing

I don't think this will be that big of an issue. They probably just want to get everyone's preferred sites before divvying up the spots. I was under the impression that this was already how they placed students. Did they place people on a rolling basis before?

I already received the official packet and for the site selection, they ask us to pick our first choice. I thought that last year they could rank the 3 sites. I wonder if you dont get your first choice , you automatically default to East Lansing??

Members don't see this ad :)
I already received the official packet and for the site selection, they ask us to pick our first choice. I thought that last year they could rank the 3 sites. I wonder if you dont get your first choice , you automatically default to East Lansing??

I suspect this came about because of something like...they had non-traditional students and they owned houses with families and perhaps didn't get DMC or Macomb. This would then force them to be away from their families/kids etc.

Its better this way.

I don't think this will be that big of an issue. They probably just want to get everyone's preferred sites before divvying up the spots. I was under the impression that this was already how they placed students. Did they place people on a rolling basis before?

It was previously done on a rolling basis, first come first serve. Actually the new way of doing this is terrible if you have a preferred site that is over chosen (DMC is going to be over allotment).

I suspect this came about because of something like...they had non-traditional students and they owned houses with families and perhaps didn't get DMC or Macomb. This would then force them to be away from their families/kids etc.

Its better this way.

For better or worse, MSUCOM doesn't give preferential choice to those with families or home owners.

It was previously done on a rolling basis, first come first serve. Actually the new way of doing this is terrible if you have a preferred site that is over chosen (DMC is going to be over allotment).

For better or worse, MSUCOM doesn't give preferential choice to those with families or home owners.

It makes sense that they would choose to do it differently because of this though. What other reason could they have to wait to place people? That is not rhetorical question. I am legitimately asking.

I have a feeling that this thread will be on fire tomorrow!! :)

I was complete on Aug 31, still haven't heard back. Getting pretty scared...

Stay positive! Its not only October yet, so its still early.

I was complete on Aug 31, still haven't heard back. Getting pretty scared...

I've been complete since July 22!! Imagine how I'm feeling! But I suppose I can fall back on the two schools I've been accepted to.... hopefully we both get in tomorrow :)

Based on the email re: tours that was sent out to accepted applicants two days ago, 69 acceptances were offered so far

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to those who are waiting to hear from MSUCOM!

+1 Good luck and let's see a few more Canadians today!

i think it'll be around 1 like the last few.

Also someone in my master's program was accepted last week

Just got the acceptance email now!! I was complete on 9/21/11. Canadian citizen.Woo

It's quite so far anyone else hear anything yet? I hate to belive only 1-person go good news today.:confused:

Nothing on my end...maybe they're taking a lunch break?

Accepted! Canadian with 3.29 sGPA, 3.19 cGPA (strong upward trend), 31Q, M.S. degree. File completed September 8. Received the email 10:50AM EST.

If anyone has a mind-control device prototype, now would be a good time to come forward.

;-)

New to the boards, waiting to hear as well, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm non-traditional (8 years out of undergrad, Critical Care Paramedic and teacher right now), so tons of work and extra-curricular hours. I wasn't complete until 9/15, MCAT 32T . . . and to be honest I never figured out my cumuulative or science GPAs. . .

Hoping to hear back at some point soon. Good luck to all of you!

I know it's only the 4th week of acceptances, but is anyone else getting that unreasonable/ridiculous "they lost my application" paranoia?
:scared:

I know it's only the 4th week of acceptances, but is anyone else getting that unreasonable/ridiculous "they lost my application" paranoia?
:scared:

Yes, and I have even went back to look at the email saying complete. I defiantly get paranoid as I keep seeing stats of people and know mine are comparable so you start to wonder why not yet?????

Just keep hoping it's early still, right?

Yes, and I have even went back to look at the email saying complete. I defiantly get paranoid as I keep seeing stats of people and know mine are comparable so you start to wonder why not yet?????

Just keep hoping it's early still, right?

Yeah, they must have some funky way of calculating their "top 20%" for a given week

I got it at 1:27!! Hopefully they send more out today! Good luck everyone!

Does MUCOM require a DO letter of recommendation? Do they pre-screen for secondary application and have a preference for intsate applicants. Thanks in advance! :D

Also accepted from Chicago:D:D:D:D:D Congratulations everybody:thumbup:

no a DO recommendation is not required. I got in (last week) w/o one. Also, msucom does not really do LOR ( letter of recommendations). It is more of an evaluation form.
As for receiving a secondary app, all you need is the min requirements which are really low. You can find those req's on the msucom website.
I don't have the official stats about in state vs out of state but i think it heavily favors instate. you can probably find those stats somewhere in the forum or the msucom website.

good luck!

If anyone has a mind-control device prototype, now would be a good time to come forward.

;-)

New to the boards, waiting to hear as well, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm non-traditional (8 years out of undergrad, Critical Care Paramedic and teacher right now), so tons of work and extra-curricular hours. I wasn't complete until 9/15, MCAT 32T . . . and to be honest I never figured out my cumuulative or science GPAs. . .

Hoping to hear back at some point soon. Good luck to all of you!

lol AACOMAS tells you your GPA's on the application it sends to each school... all you need to do is look up the PDF they sent on ACCOMAS.

14 years out of undergrad LOL, I wonder if I'll be the old man in the class! :)

Man, Wednesdays are getting me down. Would love to hear some news next week. I was complete August 19th.

drgioiadds: You and I can have the early study group so we can be in bed by 8pm and leave the partying for the younguns :-D

Just got accepted to the class of 2016! I'm a Canadian student from the University of Toronto!

Stats:
cGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 25Q, 8BS, 7PS, 10VR

I'm really excited, campus tour is on Nov. 18th any other Canadians attending on that date?!

hahaha thanks for the good vibes guys. best of luck to everyone still in the thick of it!!

Accepted 2 days ago 9/28!
I got the email at 1:26! I'm soooo excited, this is my first choice! Hope to meet many of you soon in the class of 2016! :)
Good luck to those that are waiting :xf:! Please PM me if you have any questions!

completed the secondary on 9/19
In state student
3.80 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA
1st MCAT: 22M
2nd MCAT: 26Q

Accepted 2 days ago 9/28!
I got the email at 1:26! I'm soooo excited, this is my first choice! Hope to meet many of you soon in the class of 2016! :)
Good luck to those that are waiting :xf:! Please PM me if you have any questions!

completed the secondary on 9/19
In state student
3.80 cGPA, 3.80 sGPA
1st MCAT: 22M
2nd MCAT: 26Q

Contgrats and NICE mcat improvement. Which Campus do you want to go to?