MSUCOM Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justDOit
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MSUCOM Class of 2017!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody turn in their campus preference yet? Where is everyone going?

also, does anyone currently want to go into a specialty outside of primary care?

Anybody turn in their campus preference yet? Where is everyone going?

I chose East Lansing. I wish we could find out before January, but I assume they will assign by the date you were accepted/sent in your deposit?

I chose East Lansing. I wish we could find out before January, but I assume they will assign by the date you were accepted/sent in your deposit?

At the Macomb/DMC tour they said this is how they do it. The general feeling I got was DMC/EL fill first and then Macomb is the last to fill.

I'll be applying for the DMC campus as my first choice then Macomb due to their location being so close to me. Also, I'm VERY interested in sports medicine but look forward to exploring my options :)

P.S. SO happy to see this thread as I felt bad posting about how excited I was to be accepted in the other one. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I'm leaning towards either DMC or Macomb so that I won't have to move again in the clinical years. DMC sounds amazing with numerous post-grad positions available in major hospitals but I have a family with a small toddler and I'm wondering if DMC is a suitable location to live (have heard not so great things about the city). Please feel free to chime in if you're familiar with the living conditions of these locations.

I turned in my paperwork and selected the Macomb campus. The Macomb area (considered part of Metro Detroit) is seriously a great place to live/work, especially people with families. It can offer whatever lifestyle you are looking for. Looking for nightlife? Royal Oak (there are others obviously) is a 15-20 min. drive with a bunch of great bars/restaurants. Outdoor person? Lots of metroparks, trails, and lakes nearby. Big city kind of person? You are 30 minutes from downtown Detroit. Long story short, its got a little bit of everything.

As for as opportunities at hospitals, you will be surrounded by tons of great hospitals in the area: Henry Ford, Beaumont, St. John, McLaren, and others. And these are the hospitals that are going to have the big chunk of D.O. residency spots in Michigan.

Oh yeah and the Macomb campus has free parking.:cool:

Thanks for the awesome information!!! :) It really helps to hear from someone local.

Macomb sounds like an amazing place and was actually my number 1 choice before I read the following on the admissions website:

The DMC has more than 900 graduate medical education positions of which 84 are osteopathic. (816 ACGME positions?)

vs.

The Macomb site is located within a twenty mile radius of seven hospitals with more than 600 osteopathic graduate medical education positions.

Based on this, there will be more ACGME spots available at the DMC than at the Macomb site. Since I'm leaning towards doing ACGME residency, DMC would offer more opportunities in that regard. Between this and the family-friendliness of Macomb, I'm still undecided.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the awesome information!!! :) It really helps to hear from someone local.

Macomb sounds like an amazing place and was actually my number 1 choice before I read the following on the admissions website:

The DMC has more than 900 graduate medical education positions of which 84 are osteopathic. (816 ACGME positions?)

vs.

The Macomb site is located within a twenty mile radius of seven hospitals with more than 600 osteopathic graduate medical education positions.

Based on this, there will be more ACGME spots available at the DMC than at the Macomb site. Since I'm leaning towards doing ACGME residency, DMC would offer more opportunities in that regard. Between this and the family-friendliness of Macomb, I'm still undecided.

Oh yeah I totally see what you are saying if you are leaning towards going ACGME and wanted to be able to network from day 1. But I would imagine that you could do any of the campuses and still have opportunities for ACGME since all 3 campuses choose from the same base hospitals (with no guarantee of course) and you can do electives wherever you can set them up. Of course I'm just a premed so there might be some other aspects that I am not seeing that would argue one way or the other.

How do you guys feel about the potential loss of ACGME fellowships from those who graduate from AOA residencies? Considering the majority of MSUCOM grads enter AOA residencies, it's got me a little worried.

How do you guys feel about the potential loss of ACGME fellowships from those who graduate from AOA residencies? Considering the majority of MSUCOM grads enter AOA residencies, it's got me a little worried.

Luckily, there a lot of AOA residencies in Michigan and MSU has a good reputation. Hopefully the field I end up choosing down the road won't be one that limits me. As of now I really am aiming for primary care so I'm not too worried.

Great question! I'd be interested to know this as well. The not-so-pleasant descriptions of Detroit that I keep reading have really made me hesitant to choose DMC over Macomb. I wish someone currently studying at either sites could comment on the living conditions vs. future residency opportunities (ACGME and AOA).

Great question! I'd be interested to know this as well. The not-so-pleasant descriptions of Detroit that I keep reading have really made me hesitant to choose DMC over Macomb. I wish someone currently studying at either sites could comment on the living conditions vs. future residency opportunities (ACGME and AOA).

Did you make it to the DMC campus tour back in September? Or are you going to the open house on the 26th?

No, I didn't make the tour in Sept and I won't be able to make the visit in Oct. *sigh*

Having thought about it some more though, I am most likely going to join you in Macomb :D The reason being, even though there will be numerous postgrad positions in and around Detroit, I might not even do my residency in the city/state. It's just too difficult to predict what will happen in 4 years and I'd rather live in a place where I know my family and I will be comfortable. I managed to find a number of great apartment rentals at a reasonable price already :cool:

Ok, what the heck is everyone wearing on the October 26th visit in East Lansing? I've heard people say casual, business casual, and even full on interview suit.

Is anyone able to open any of the links on the Class of 2017 website that was sent out? I'm unable to open any of the links. What a tease haha

Is anyone able to open any of the links on the Class of 2017 website that was sent out? I'm unable to open any of the links. What a tease haha

yeh, i seem to be having a problem with the link as well.

Congrats and welcome to everyone in the class of 2017. I'm in the class of 2015 and would be glad to answer any questions except those pertaining specifically to the MUC/DMC campuses (I'm in EL).
With the heavy medical school curriculum, are you able to find time to attend any of the big 10 events available at EL?
What have been your likes and dislikes about being at the EL campus?

Thanks!!

I understand that you are at the EL campus but would you be able to comment on what it's like in Macomb based on what you've heard (pros vs. cons)? Do students from different sites interact frequently? Also with regards to rotation, is it true that students at the EL site will likely have to move to south east Michigan where there are more base hospitals? Are you planning to rotate at one of the two base hospitals in EL?

N/m the Macomb question just read your prev post more closely.

Would be great if someone from Macomb could comment.

I really want to go to the open house in the DMC campus since I am planning to go there. However I would like to attend the visit so I can ask questions about the curriculum. Why did they put the open house and visit day on the same day.

Is anyone visiting the campus in November?

Ok, what the heck is everyone wearing on the October 26th visit in East Lansing? I've heard people say casual, business casual, and even full on interview suit.

I was wondering the same thing. I am planning on wearing black pants and a shirt and tie.

Looking forward to meeting everybody!

Anyone out of state know which hotel would be best to stay at?

Boy it's been quiet here! How's everyone doing? I'll break the ice. Recently I've been thinking more and more about doing research in med school.

I am currently doing stem cell research for work (lots of bench experience) and would be interested in clinical research during med school. Anyone know if MSU has many research opportunities for med (DO) students? With such a tight curriculum, when would be the best time for research? Would it be overwhelming to be involved in research during regular school year?

Boy it's been quiet here! How's everyone doing? I'll break the ice. Recently I've been thinking more and more about doing research in med school.

I am currently doing stem cell research for work (lots of bench experience) and would be interested in clinical research during med school. Anyone know if MSU has many research opportunities for med (DO) students? With such a tight curriculum, when would be the best time for research? Would it be overwhelming to be involved in research during regular school year?

I asked that question when I visited the Macomb campus back in September. Unfortunately none of the students I was touring with had any interest in research but I got the impression that most of the research is done in EL and not so much at the satellite campuses.

If you look at the link the admissions team sent out for the Class of 2017, there is a Research tab with a very long list of research faculty. MSU is a big research university, so even outside COM there will be a lot of opportunity if you are interested and feel like you have the time.

Does anyone know around when in January we get assigned sites?

Does anyone know around when in January we get assigned sites?

Hopefully early! If I remember correctly, the admission packet said January or February, so it might not be for a while. What site did you request?

Hopefully early! If I remember correctly, the admission packet said January or February, so it might not be for a while. What site did you request?

I picked the DMC, just because I live close by and the cost of relocating to the other sites didn't make sense and I've volunteered at the DMC, so the familiarity would be great but I heard there's a 50 student limit so hoping for the best...how about you?

I received my site placement today (East Lansing) which was my top choice!!!!! Hope you all get what you wanted and hopefully I can get to know some of you that will be attending in EL!

Got the site placement today as well. I'll be Macomb (top choice) next year.

About how long should it typically take to receive the site placement? I was accepted 12/5 and sent it in straight away. Hoping to be at DMC. Glad to be joining the group!

Congrats! I was accepted first week of October and just got placed last week. They may still be working through all the acceptances. Probably won't take long.

Didn't take long at all wow. I was placed at Macomb, so I will be joining you all there! Looking forward to meeting you guys

Sure thing Shab and Jackie! Looking forward to meeting you too. Have you found places to live?

Does anyone know if for the scholarship applications, is it just like a personal essay statement about ourselves and experiences and accomplishments? or is it more like why do I want scholarship X, some of the scholarship are generic so I dont really know how to say a reason for why i want that specific scholarship, if anybody has applied before or were successful, please help!

Does anyone know if for the scholarship applications, is it just like a personal essay statement about ourselves and experiences and accomplishments? or is it more like why do I want scholarship X, some of the scholarship are generic so I dont really know how to say a reason for why i want that specific scholarship, if anybody has applied before or were successful, please help!

This scholarship module says what you should include in your essay and other helpful information.

http://www.com.msu.edu/LargeFiles/Scholarships_2012/index.htm

They said there is a place to send the essay. Is it just the email address or am I just not seeing the correct place to submit the essay.

This scholarship module says what you should include in your essay and other helpful information.

http://www.com.msu.edu/LargeFiles/Scholarships_2012/index.htm

Thanks.I was just wondering though, it says we are suppose to write how about how we are eligible for that scholarship but then it says use the same essay for all the scholarships so I'm kinda confused about specific vs. generic ie how can i use the same essay for one that stresses rural vs. another that stresses community servics vs. opthamology for example

I am looking for a sublease this summer, I guess it's still too early since most of the ads up now are for january semester sublease. Just wondering, besides craiglist, what are some other good websites that people there would post at? ie (Kijiji in canada)