MSUCOM Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks.I was just wondering though, it says we are suppose to write how about how we are eligible for that scholarship but then it says use the same essay for all the scholarships so I'm kinda confused about specific vs. generic ie how can i use the same essay for one that stresses rural vs. another that stresses community servics vs. opthamology for example

Since it's only 300 words I would just be general. It is kind of odd that it's one essay for so many different scholarships. I just touched on a little bit from each thing they wanted us to write about. It lets them get a general idea of who you are I think.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm leaning towards either DMC or Macomb so that I won't have to move again in the clinical years. DMC sounds amazing with numerous post-grad positions available in major hospitals but I have a family with a small toddler and I'm wondering if DMC is a suitable location to live (have heard not so great things about the city). Please feel free to chime in if you're familiar with the living conditions of these locations.

Most people at the DMC don't live in Detroit, and with a toddler it's an obvious choice not to move there. I would recommend Royal Oak/Ferndale, it's a nicer area with a upbeat downtown. Although it's mostly viewed as a younger age population city, with plenty of bars and activities to do. It's about 15-20min from campus.

Personally, if I had a family as you stated, I would chose Macomb. Just my 2 cents.

Since it's only 300 words I would just be general. It is kind of odd that it's one essay for so many different scholarships. I just touched on a little bit from each thing they wanted us to write about. It lets them get a general idea of who you are I think.

Thanks, it's just the essay we email to brenda and dr. falls right? we don't need to send any letters of recommendtation etc... or anything until after we are selected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I think just the email, not quite sure where to send the letters of recommendation.

hey just wondering

for those that are familiar with EL, how easy is it to see a doctor? does our insurance cover the cost of the visit and medicine?

Most people at the DMC don't live in Detroit, and with a toddler it's an obvious choice not to move there. I would recommend Royal Oak/Ferndale, it's a nicer area with a upbeat downtown. Although it's mostly viewed as a younger age population city, with plenty of bars and activities to do. It's about 15-20min from campus.

Personally, if I had a family as you stated, I would chose Macomb. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad I picked Macomb in the end. Thinking of living at Prentiss Pointe around 20 min from campus near the lake. Any thought on the neighborhood? Also looking at places in Sterling Heights.

Which campus are you at?

I got accepted. Anyone have advice for preferences for a non-traditional older student (30's) with a dog (finding a dog friendly apartment being the most important factor)?

I was thinking Macomb, DMC, and EL in that order. I imagine finding housing in EL is probably a headache at this point.

Advice is appreciated.

Thanks for the input! I'm glad I picked Macomb in the end. Thinking of living at Prentiss Pointe around 20 min from campus near the lake. Any thought on the neighborhood? Also looking at places in Sterling Heights.

Which campus are you at?

DMC. Sorry cant help you much on Macomb sites. Although I live fairly close to Sterling Heights, it seems like a decent place to live.

I got accepted. Anyone have advice for preferences for a non-traditional older student (30's) with a dog (finding a dog friendly apartment being the most important factor)?

I was thinking Macomb, DMC, and EL in that order. I imagine finding housing in EL is probably a headache at this point.

Advice is appreciated.

Macomb. You probably don't want to be around a bunch of college age hooligans in EL. But seriously, DMC or Macomb would be a good choice. Can't comment on Macomb living but Royal Oak/Ferndale area near DMC has plenty of small houses with backyards. I too have a 65lb dog so finding a backyard was a priority to me.

Hey everyone! I just read through this thread and I'm really excited to meet all my future classmates :) I got accepted in early December and chose the Macomb campus. Looking forward to June! I live in Macomb county now so if anyone has any general questions about the area I'll try my best to help out!

Hello guys,

I've been accepted to MSUCOM and I'm looking for a potential housemate to live with once school starts in East Lansing. I will be living in a very nice house located just north of campus (about a mile from Fee Hall). The lease will be $530/month with ALL utilities and is a great deal being offered by family friends. It is a three bedroom & 2.5 bathroom home that is fully furnished (except bedrooms). The house is equipped with a dishwasher and laundry machine. It is a very well-kept place and in a great location, and if you know the area, you'll know that the price is very good. My friend and I are interested in meeting a suitable roommate that we think we will get along with.

Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested!

Take care, and best of luck to you all!

Last edited:

Which campus are you at?
Hey, I selected Macomb for the very same reason. I am a native Detroiter. I know the city like the back of my hand and have a genuine love. HOWEVER, my child is in the kindergarten. My options are very limited on the schools she would be able to attend to get a great education and the great ones have a waiting list. As far as Detroit, Midtown is probably the safest place because they have Wayne State, Detroit police and the Wayne county sheriff doing regular patrols. I have worked in Midtown for the past 3 years and it seems to be a genuine effort to start the revitalization efforts here. With my family in mind, I plan to commute to Macomb site and when the time comes, hopefully do my clerkship in Detroit.

Members don't see this ad :)

Advice is appreciated.
I was told by an admissions counselor that macomb campus students have a more family oriented atmosphere. They are more helpful to one another and usually all succeed together. She also said Detroit has more competitive atmosphere. She told me a lot of Wayne State and UofM students choose Detroit and it is pretty much every person for themselves. I asked was there a variance in board scores by campus, since we will be remotely watching certain lectures, she said no significant difference. I felt I could thrive in either but chose Macomb for family considerations. As far as pet friendly, you may want to try Shoal Creek and if that is too pricey then the Harbours. Although when I use to work in the area, certain people told me the harbours was on the decline and that was in 2008.

Is there anyone from the Detroit or Macomb campus planning to attend the East Lansing Open house on April 12th? I am just wondering if it is encouraged. I was told by Macomb staff that our we have EL orientation June 12, then Macomb orientation June 13th then convocation back in EL June 14th. I imagine all the same topics will be covered.

Hi everyone. I was recently accepted and planning on going to East Lansing. However, its already full! I heard of people switching or trading sites. Is anyone interested in switching me for Macomb? Also--could anyone comment on how likley it might be to get switched at this point in time. I am currently on a waitlist.

The wait list for EL is short. I accepted March 4, was put on the EL wait list on March 13 and received notification that a position was available in EL yesterday. They said to expect more movement at the end of April/beginning of May. They only give you 24 hours to accept the position though, so check your email regularly.

I also got diverted to Macomb, and am on waitlist at DMC.
Is trading spots an option? and if anyone wants to trade DMC for Macomb, let me know.

I'm pretty excited for june.

Which campus are you at?

I am currently a 2nd year student at the Macomb Campus. I have lived in Harrison Township my entire life so I can try to answer any questions you may have about the area. Congrats on getting accepted! [I just joined this site so I may be a little slow with my responses]

hey guys

just wondering, the $1000 deposit we paid last full, is that all non-refundable?

Hey everyone,

I am accepted into MSUCOM- East Lansing site for the DO program for the Class of 2017!

However, I still have interviews at Touro Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine at CA on April 30th and AT Still Univ School of Osteopathic Medicine at Arizona on May 3rd.

Can anyone provide some insight into which school is the best and whether it even makes sense to go for any further interviews if MSUCOM really is the best osteopathic medical school of the three I listed above?

Also, for MSUCOM, is East Lansing the best site for DO students? Are there reputed hospitals nearby? I originally applied DO-PhD but did not get accepted dual degree and only got accepted into the DO program. Thus, I automatically received acceptance at the East Lansing site and just figured this was the best site since it has the most resources and was the original site for MSUCOM.

Any current student's input on MSUCOM vs. TUCOM-CA and ATSU-SOMA would be excellent!

Also, for housing at MSUCOM-East Lansing, what is the ideal place for first-year DO students i.e. where do most first-year DO students live? Capitol Villa apartments? Any input on how Capitol Villa apartments are? Do a lot of first-year DO students live here? Are the apartments pretty new and equipped with dishwasher, microwave, stove, washer, dryer, wi-fi, and 24-hour access fitness center?

Any advice on whether it is better to have a roommate or take live alone but in an apartment complex where a lot of other first-year DO MSUCOM students live?

I am visiting Capitol Villa apartments on May 6th, 2013 at 3pm and thereafter Valley Forge apartments at 4:30pm on May 6th, 2013 as well.

Ideally, I am looking to live in a single apartment that meets the following criteria:

Is in a complex heavily populated by first-year DO MSUCOM East Lansing students
Comes with washer, dryer, free wi-fi, dishwasher, stove (definitely) and ideally also microwave, refrigerator, freezer
Has 24-hour access fitness center
Is within 10-15 min. walk to MSUCOM East Lansing campus
Has covered parking lot for car
Has 1-2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 full bathroom, and kitchen area,
Is available for rental starting May 17th, 2013

Any input as to whether Capitol Villa apartments would meet the above criteria?

Thanks everyone for your help!

I look forward to a response!

I would love to connect with anyone who responds to learn more via cell phone and email and will provide this information upon request.

Thanks again!