MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, I know we have chatted about MSUCOM before, but I'll add myself to this list. Most of the specifics can be seen in my MDApps in my signature. I didn't put most of my EC's in my mdapps profile, but the big things are there.

I am working on adding AT Kirksvillve, UNECOM, and OUCOM as soon as some funds become available (my card is absolutely maxed). If I can secure a DO letter, I have a few more schools that I would love to add, but I guess we will wait and see if that pans out.

Oh, the wait is already killing me, if they arent meeting until a few more weeks! I have been complete there since Aug 9, and if I get in I will def be attending next fall. Good luck to all those applying, hope to see ya next June!

I guess me and you are the only ones applying to MSUCOM, LOL. I wish...:D:D

I checked out your MD apps, nice ec's and stats. please pray I can get a 29 also, lol.

"Thanks for letting me vent to all the racist a$$holes that seem to like to post on profiles like mine" I love that you wrote that whole paragraph. I would hate it also if I were to have people view of my credentials in such a ******ed light.
I hope you get into MSUCOM also, and prove all the critics wrong, both of us can be study partners for the hell we shall face in first year of Medical school. Alot of my friends currently are dragging in MSUCOM getting grilled with some good biochem, lol.

I just got set with my science recommendation letters today for the other schools, have you been able to land a DO letter yet? You should try looking some up in the Medical Directory or online, I'm sure you will find alot of willing DO's.

GL

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM is my first choice also. My stats are in my MDApps profile. GL to both of you!

MSUCOM is my first choice but I'm taking a year off after graduating this year.

Good Luck everyone!

/Future MSUCOM student Class of 2013

speeter- best of luck to you! Your grades are def good enough to open the door at MSU. Hope the adcoms give you an offer soon!

desi- sigh, I am still in search of a DO letter. I admit my focus kind of got taken off of it for a while, I just started a new internship today at Special Olympics, but I do have a list of about 15 DO's in the area and I'm starting my calls tomorrow! Glad you got your last science letter...this is what held me up for about 3 months in my letter quest. I finally got one from Dr. Kroos (biochem II guy) even tho I had never spoken with him. I explained how screwed I was and he agreed to meet with me. That pretty much taught me that persistence pays off with the letters! I'm hoping that they dont get pestered too much up here in Mt Pleasant about shadowing....

I am too, and would love to go but am wary about the OOS tuition:eek:!!

If there's no possibility to become instate after a year, I may not be able to afford it. Though the school looks totally awesome!!!:luck::luck::luck: to everyone!

I'm applying to MSUCOM as well. I have to tell you all, though, I live in Michigan, and I've visited friends at MSU for undergrad, and it is really boring there. Now, I know that in medical school you don't have time to go out or party or whatever, but seriously, it's the most boring place. Ever. EVER. Not to mention, I really would like to get out of Michigan for a while. 22 years in this boring state is enough already. That being said, if I am accepted there, I will seriously consider it, as I've heard it is a really great school. Good luck to everyone!

Wow, doingmybest, your friends must have not had any idea of what to do for fun. I went to Michigan my first year (Ann Arbor is not a particularly fun town) and then graduated from State. I had an absolute blast. If we both get in, I'll show ya some some good times before it gets too serious!

I am too, and would love to go but am wary about the OOS tuition:eek:!!

If there's no possibility to become instate after a year, I may not be able to afford it. Though the school looks totally awesome!!!:luck::luck::luck: to everyone!

Is this true? That once an OOS always an OOS? Even if you pay income tax/etc b/c your spouse move to work there?

Is this true? That once an OOS always an OOS? Even if you pay income tax/etc b/c your spouse move to work there?

I believe so??? It was discussed awhile back and someone said you could not get residency as a student, er something? Can someone back this up?:confused:

I'm applying to MSUCOM as well. I have to tell you all, though, I live in Michigan, and I've visited friends at MSU for undergrad, and it is really boring there. Now, I know that in medical school you don't have time to go out or party or whatever, but seriously, it's the most boring place. Ever. EVER. Not to mention, I really would like to get out of Michigan for a while. 22 years in this boring state is enough already. That being said, if I am accepted there, I will seriously consider it, as I've heard it is a really great school. Good luck to everyone!

That's disappointing to hear.:(

I go out to MSU to party with friends occassionally and it is really a fun school. Same with UoM. BTW it is medical school so we won't have too much free time anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)

Your friends must have lived under a rock, for you to think MSU is a boring place. There is a reason its called a 'Party School'.

The sad thing is, my friends did party a lot, but whenever I went there, they either didn't go out, or it wasn't fun. Rick's for example... ew. I'll be graduating from U of M this December, and I feel like I had a much better time in Ann Arbor. Maybe my friends just didn't take me to the right places. If we do end up there together, we should have an SDN night out before classes start hahaha. :)

Ricks... lol Agree = nasty. That is a great idea a pre SDN get together before school starts for all us Medical School lads/gals. Summer is really nice at MSU, and since classes start end of June at MSUCOM we can enjoy the whole summer with a good hefty load of Anatomy... :D

Yesterday I was at MSUCOM, man did the admissions lady give me a disdained look when I asked her to check the status of all my application materials. Seriously lady sorry your overwhelmed but please do you know what condition we as students are in, worrying every waking moment of our life about where we shall end up and IF we will be physicians.

Man im so pissed all my stuff is in except my DO evaluation form, geez he said he sent it last wednesday from Ypsilanti and still it hasnt arrived. I'm just worried it got lost in the mail or something. Guys what should I do tell him to send another one or just wait? GOD please no more pain an agony.

I feel your pain on the eval form deal. One of mine is coming from Denver and it is taking him forever. Oh well I'm complete except that. I think I'll call him right now.

OMG and you know whats ******ed if something does happen to the form in the mail, and if the evaluator has to resend it the applicant again has to fill out the first page info and the waiver form. So that means another trip to were ever the person lives, SUCH A WASTE OF GAS AND TIME.

OMG and you know whats ******ed if something does happen to the form in the mail, and if the evaluator has to resend it the applicant again has to fill out the first page info and the waiver form. So that means another trip to were ever the person lives, SUCH A WASTE OF GAS AND TIME.

You could probably fax a signed copy to the individual. I'm not sure on that though.

Yesterday I was at MSUCOM, man did the admissions lady give me a disdained look when I asked her to check the status of all my application materials. Seriously lady sorry your overwhelmed but please do you know what condition we as students are in, worrying every waking moment of our life about where we shall end up and IF we will be physicians.
desi- are you aware of the website below?
http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/admapp/
If not maybe it will save you future scorn in the admissions office.

Maybe I'm just a fan of dirty bars but I love Ricks (and E. Lansing in general). If we get in I'll buy us all a round.

OMG I GOT AN ACCEPTANCE EMAIL THIS MORNING!!!! I'll see the rest of you next June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are officially inviting, good luck to the rest of you!!!

Good Job, wow they already started accepting I thought they would start in the middle of September. Good to hear tho.

OMG I GOT AN ACCEPTANCE EMAIL THIS MORNING!!!! I'll see the rest of you next June!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are officially inviting, good luck to the rest of you!!!

Good job! Sounds like you are the first acceptance of the season!

desi- are you aware of the website below?
http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/admapp/
If not maybe it will save you future scorn in the admissions office.

Maybe I'm just a fan of dirty bars but I love Ricks (and E. Lansing in general). If we get in I'll buy us all a round.

Hey thanks for the website but I already knew about it, till yesterday it said no to all my application materials so that was the reason I went to the office to ask her which of my evaluation letters had come in. I guess they updated it after I told them the site says NO to all my materials.

Ohhh I am so down for some shots in dirty Rick's!! Hahaha, I plan on celebrating a bit tonight! I'm sure u guys' emails are coming soon! I didnt think I had a chance so goes to show you, you just never know!

This is from a thread I started a month ago... If anyone is interested in how the adcoms work at MSU....

I actually had an hour long meeting with an admission's person at MSU-COM and she was super nice. She explained the entire process to me, including why they did away with interviewing people. She said that they learned that it was really easy for people to fake their way through an interview and come across however they wanted to come across as. They changed and updated their LOR forms to be more inclusive and in depth because they feel that they can more accurately learn about a person from good LOR than a short interview. Another reason stated was that in an interview with that is 3-on-1, all three people could come out with a different impression of the person, and that impression could be different than the LORs.

As for admissions, they have an algorithm that they follow. If you meet the minimum MCAT and GPA you get a secondary application. Once the whole application is complete, they put all of your stuff into the algorithm and the top 25% EACH WEEK go to comittee. They also stated that as a reason why to apply early, because you might not be in a top 20% score until October or November b/c traditionally the 4.0's and upper 30 MCAT scores come in first.

The algorithm contains 4 sections that are weighted in different ways. She did say that they are about equal, but there are some variations. The four areas are GPA, MCAT, Volunteer hours, and---okay, completely blanking on the 4th. Then once in comittee, LOR and Personal Statements are investigated and end up being how they pick the ones to admit each week.

I don't know/remember how many are picked each week, but I think she implied that everyone or no one could be picked. Also, as long as you are in the top 25%, you will go to committee each week, unless you a chosen to go into a "pre-hold" group, which means that you will not be competing anymore with people who have really high GPA or MCAT and will be compared to people with about the same GPA and MCAT scores as you.

She did tell me that they have the most agressive admissions schedule in the country, and have a goal of knowing who will be attending by Jan of 2008 (or at least about 85% b/c they know that some will decline or change for a first choice school between Jan and June).

I hope this all helps. And for the being nice to the people in the office...it's really not that hard b/c they are super nice and willing to work with people to
help as much as possible.

Does anyone know if they notify you if you are on "hold".

??? I am confused. Did you interview at MSUCOM for entering class of 08? I didn't even know they started handing out interviews. Regardless, congratulations!!!! That's amazing!:thumbup:

??? I am confused. Did you interview at MSUCOM for entering class of 08? I didn't even know they started handing out interviews. Regardless, congratulations!!!! That's amazing!:thumbup:

They only interview a couple of people and accept most without one.

Ohhh I am so down for some shots in dirty Rick's!! Hahaha, I plan on celebrating a bit tonight! I'm sure u guys' emails are coming soon! I didnt think I had a chance so goes to show you, you just never know!

CONGRATS:thumbup::D You should start the official class thread! Are you going to even go on any other interviews now that you know you're in?

CONGRATS:thumbup::D You should start the official class thread! Are you going to even go on any other interviews now that you know you're in?

Well, I havent really decided yet. I have a pretty long list on my MDApps of the schools I was applying to, and I absolutely love some of them (both osteo and allo). I think I'm going to withdraw from the other osteo schools, MSU was def my first choice for osteo. I may leave my allo applications alone for a while until I absolutely decide. This was so early, I really havent even made up my mind which would be the better path for me (btwn osteo and allo). They both have their pros and cons, but I am definitely leaning towards osteo. I am in complete love with both Boston and Chicago (and have lived in E. Lansing for the last 3 years), so an offer from one of those schools would make me think....I'll probably wait it out and see if I get interview offers, just cuz I'm curious if I would, and then decline them.

Hey Scowdeva, mind telling me how you got your MCAT scores to MSUCOM. Mine don't come out till sept 12, and I was going to forward them to AACOMAS, but I hear AACOMAS takes a real long time to send them out. I was thinking about faxing a copy to MSUCOM? Is that what you did?

Should I do the same for other schools (fax a copy), or should I just wait for AACOMAS to send them out?

YESS IM COMPLETE AT MSUCOM, now just have to wait till my MCAT scores come out :eek:!!!

desi, I just released them to AACOMAS. My scores were released on the 23rd, and AACOMAS sent them out on the 26th. I dont think this is too bad of a turnaround time, but it was my second MCAT so MSU already had my old scores...maybe they havent even looked at my new scores yet?? If this is your first time taking the MCAT, you could always fax them over AND send them through AACOMAS, that may be a bit faster...

HI Everyone,

Does MSU have a preference for MI applicants and accept more MI applicants? Or do they accept a good number of non-MI applicants as well?

HI Everyone,

Does MSU have a preference for MI applicants and accept more MI applicants? Or do they accept a good number of non-MI applicants as well?

If you are not a Michigan resident, you are at a great disadvantage.

If you are not a Michigan resident, you are at a great disadvantage.

The numbers that they published for the 2004 entering class (from US News and World Report Med School Guide) were:

In state acceptance rate: 35.6%
Out of state acceptance rate: 3.5%

This was before they increased their class size, so it may be a bit different now. I also think it's important to point out that about three times more out of staters apply than in staters. But they do state that they have a preference for in state applicants...but they still take a decent portion of thier class (my numbers show about 20%) from outside of Michigan.

I think out of 205 students of MSUCOM this year, maybe 25-30 students are oos. If I was an oos student I don't know if I would be willing to shell out over 50 grand a year on tuition. I think thats just ridiculous how the tuition is set up like that, WVSOM is another school thats very unfair. But I'm still going to apply there because I love the state of WV.

Tomorrow is round 2 of MSUCOM committee review, lets see if anymore of us get the nod.... :D

AHHH!! my first MCAT score comes out on Wednesday :rolleyes::rolleyes:, I hope MSUCOM looks at my application before September is over, I just want to get in as soon as possible. I have been praying constantly please let my score be at least a 30, please GOD please...

How do you know they are meeting tomorrow? Just wondering if they meet every tuesday or something.

Thats what I heard, and remember from last year. Every Tuesday till the class is full.

I just became complete on Friday. Hopefully this tuesday is my day!!

Congrats speeter, your stats are good I think you have a real good shot to get in. I hope once my MCAT score gets to them (either Wednesday or Thursday) I get reviewed immediately. I just want to KNOW dammit.

On other note, Is it true having a high VR score opens up more doors for you then a high PS or BS score?

Congrats speeter, your stats are good I think you have a real good shot to get in. I hope once my MCAT score gets to them (either Wednesday or Thursday) I get reviewed immediately. I just want to KNOW dammit.

On other note, Is it true having a high VR score opens up more doors for you then a high PS or BS score?

I think more importantly than a high VR score would be a well balanced score....unlike mine :)

Nah your cool, because you have atleast a 8 in the VR you should be fine. If you had a 7 or less then I would be a little worried but that is not your situation so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I hope my MCAT score to be 9 ps, 10 vr, 9 bs... or 11, 11, 11... lol

Walking out of the mcat I expected about a 24. I think you will get a higher score than you think. 11 11 11 is definitely not out of the question.

Walking out of the mcat I expected about a 24. I think you will get a higher score than you think. 11 11 11 is definitely not out of the question.

Thanks man really needed that encouragement. I don't know what to expect, my score can be 20 or 32, all I know is I got raped on the PS section for some reason.

So are you still attending MSU or did you graduate already? God I miss MSU and the weekend parties, waking up at 1 pm, missing all the classes...hehehe I hate this 9-5 working world bull crap.

I love this informal chat we are having on this... LOL seriously SDN should have a chatting feature that would be nuts...

When I got out of the MCAT, I had no idea at all what I got. I figured anywhere from 29-36. I had been getting 35+ on my practices, but I was wiped out by the end of the test (took the 8-hour version in '05), and my head wasn't quite in it when the biological sciences came up.

I ended up with a 33, so I guess I was close on my guess, but that might just have been because I had taken a bunch of practice tests.

No I'm a senior at Grand Valley. I've never gone to MSU. I have friends out there that I visit regularly though. I know what you mean about the working 9-5 thing. I do 60 hours a week all summer; when school starts again it's like vacation!

OOPs sorry, lol thought you went to MSU for some reason.

Some of my friends currently in first year of MSUCOM are wondering what they are doing in medical school and are completely burned out already, I was so mad grrrrr!!! I would do anything to be in their situation right now.

When I got out of the MCAT, I had no idea at all what I got. I figured anywhere from 29-36. I had been getting 35+ on my practices, but I was wiped out by the end of the test (took the 8-hour version in '05), and my head wasn't quite in it when the biological sciences came up.

I ended up with a 33, so I guess I was close on my guess, but that might just have been because I had taken a bunch of practice tests.

Man I wasn't getting no 35+ on practice exams lol. So shall see how it goes.

I appreciate your desire and will still to attend medical school at your age, I hope I can have the same drive when I get to your age.