MSUCOM vs. DMU-COM vs. TUNCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSUCOM, DMU, or TUNCOM

• MSU

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • DMU

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • TUN

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

duediligence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get everyone's input as I try to make a decision. I feel so lucky to already have three acceptances to these schools, but I need to put a deposit down soon.

First off, I'm a California resident, so kind of bummed but also excited all my acceptances are OOS.

I really enjoyed MSUCOM, the MMI, the tour and the overall feel of the campus. The thought of going to a big ten school is just extremely exciting, and I'd be thrilled to be a Spartan. Obviously that isn't the only reason I'd pick it, but the statewide campus system and experience and training I could get here make MSUCOM very intriguing, if it weren't for the extremely high tuition. I understand that's an obvious point to consider, and really could just be the deciding factor towards not going here.

DMU was also very enjoyable, I felt everyone was friendly and the campus itself was super nice. I really liked the gym, the city itself is a big city (200,000 people is big) but carries a small town vibe, the people, etc. Just like MI, the weather here would suck, but I'm sure it's something I'd get used to, and I'm really only there to study anyway. The tuition is the cheapest of the three.

TUNCOM was probably the most underwhelming in terms of how nice the campus is, but I get it, that's not the only factor to judge a school by. The small class size (135) compared to DMU and MSUCOM make it more intimate, as well as the tuition (cheaper than MSU and a little more expensive than DMU) is something to consider. In terms of location, it's pretty close to home as flights back home are shorter and cheaper. Weather also is much better in NV, granted it's crazy hot I also wouldn't have to deal with the snow.

Overall though, I enjoyed my interview and experience the most with MSU, but I loved the DMU campus. TUNCOM has both beat in terms of location, though besides snow, East Lansing and Des Moines seem like more interesting places to live. I would love to come back to California, but I'm hoping an OOS experience may have me finding a new place to explore and eventually live, such as the Midwest or East Coast.

I really care the most about which school will offer me the most opportunities to become a skilled physician, and while it's way to early to say what I'd like to do, I am most interested in sports medicine/PM&R, and EM.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think the 88k+ tuition for MSU is worth the education given that with interest, there's a large likehood of you being in debt >650k.

My bet would be to go with DMU. The vibe, the city, the rotations, the atmosphere is better than TUNCOM (though I personally did not interview at either). You are from CA, and yes you might be OOS for these 4 years, but you have an "in" in terms of being able to go back to California for residency. Go where your gut takes you and don't look back, remember, your gut is usually right.

Personally I say DMU. MSU would be fantastic but the opportunities are about the same as DMU and that 88K tuition is enough to negate any perceived benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)