MSW as a career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushKemet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Online MSW program (CSWE accredited) I am interested in offers two specializations: Behavioral Health and Child Welfare Services.

I have a B.A. and M.A. in English and my goal is to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) .
At this point, though, I am gathering the necessary paper work – e.g., fill out on-line application, send in resume, letters of rec, college transcripts, etc.— while preparing to apply to the program I am not exactly sure which specialization path to take that would best prepare me for my LCSW, Behavioral Health or Child Welfare Services ?

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on how the program defines those practice areas, but both would prepare you for your licensure. The question is, what are you planning on doing as an LCSW? As a side note - a lot of people on this board, myself included, would strongly discourage you from attending an online program if your goal is to work directly with people. There are a lot of previous threads on that subject if you want to do a quick search.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess it depends on how the program defines those practice areas, but both would prepare you for your licensure. The question is, what are you planning on doing as an LCSW? As a side note - a lot of people on this board, myself included, would strongly discourage you from attending an online program if your goal is to work directly with people. There are a lot of previous threads on that subject if you want to do a quick search.
I am interested in Medical/public health and mental health areas of social work. As a veteran I also interested in working with the veteran population. What are your intentions after you graduate with your MSW? And are suggesting, if I understood you correctly, that on-line programs are not preparing students as well as face to face programs are for careers in social work?

Then I would venture to guess that the Behavioral Health track would be of more benefit to you. I am in a TF-CBT training project accompanied by a trauma across the lifespan specialization. I'm currently working with child victims of sexual abuse, although the overwhelming majority have experienced a wide range of abuse and neglect before reaching my office, and am planning on carrying on with his population after graduation. To your final question: Yes. I feel it will not prepare you as well as a brick and mortar program would for lots of reasons that others have stated on this board. Like I said, there are plenty of threads on this subject and you could get a variety of opinions on the matter beyond (and including, depending on what thread you read) mine - just type in "online" in the search bar.

Here's a for instance:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/online-msw-or-campus-msw.1070132/