MSW & Direct Practice Concentration with LGBT Focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunningRattie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After having circled around the idea of counseling degrees for almost 8 years now (and having made the eventual wrong choice of pursuing anthropology and international studies at the graduate level), I am really confident, thanks to this board, that the MSW is the direction for me. (So thanks for that, everyone.)

Does anyone know of any programs with direct practice concentrations that deal specifically with LGBT individuals/couples/families?

I've tried googling, but have only come up with a professor here or there who deals with that aspect.

One that I am leaning toward is University of Denver, as they seem to have a very solid concentration that is linked to the Denver Family Institute, and Denver is diverse. But seeing as I have already student-loaned my way through one MA in International Studies, I'm not sure I can afford to choose a private university where I don't at least have a chance at an assistantship/tuition remission.

I am also torn because I am totally attached to University of Tennessee's Veterinary SW program as well.

I really have no intent or desire to study in New York City, Boston, or Washington DC, despite the reputations that all of their many schools have and the diversity I would obviously find there.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any programs specifically, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, all. :)

Members don't see this ad.

After having circled around the idea of counseling degrees for almost 8 years now (and having made the eventual wrong choice of pursuing anthropology and international studies at the graduate level), I am really confident, thanks to this board, that the MSW is the direction for me. (So thanks for that, everyone.)

Does anyone know of any programs with direct practice concentrations that deal specifically with LGBT individuals/couples/families?

I've tried googling, but have only come up with a professor here or there who deals with that aspect.

One that I am leaning toward is University of Denver, as they seem to have a very solid concentration that is linked to the Denver Family Institute, and Denver is diverse. But seeing as I have already student-loaned my way through one MA in International Studies, I'm not sure I can afford to choose a private university where I don't at least have a chance at an assistantship/tuition remission.

I am also torn because I am totally attached to University of Tennessee's Veterinary SW program as well.

I really have no intent or desire to study in New York City, Boston, or Washington DC, despite the reputations that all of their many schools have and the diversity I would obviously find there.

Anyway, if anyone knows of any programs specifically, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, all. :)

I'm in New York, and through my classmates who are interested in queer social work, I know that it can be tough to find an LGBTQ-specific placement, even here. I imagine that finding a gay and lesbian community center or clinic in Tennessee that accepts social work interns would be quite a challenge.

I haven't heard of any queer-specific M.S.W. programs, and I don't know if any exist, sadly enough. It might be best to pick the most diverse and welcoming program you can find, in the largest city you can stand to live in, and then specializing with electives/internships/projects/research/whatever.

UT-Arlington has a couple of LGBTQ focused faculty to the best of my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'd have an easier time on the left coast--I mean the best coast--I mean the west coast. :D

Even then, there's a high degree of religiosity/traditionalism amongst SW folks. Not the most LGBT-affirmative environment I've been in.

I think you'd have an easier time on the left coast--I mean the best coast--I mean the west coast. :D

Even then, there's a high degree of religiosity/traditionalism amongst SW folks. Not the most LGBT-affirmative environment I've been in.

I think you'll have a paradox there. What's the point of wanting to practice with a vulnerable population if the area that you would be serving has come a long way in making them less vulnerable. Come help out the LGBTQ community in the middle of the bible belt!

Bellows! I'm coming!!! Lol :) I'm applying to schools in OK & Texas. I wanna make a safe mental health haven for LGBTQ and atheists in the Bible Belt. Oh, and please don't tell my OK native family that! Har har.

But to actually contribute to the OP's question -- to be honest, I didn't see any LGBTQ focused programs when I was scouring different schools. Sadly, like other posters mentioned very few programs give LGBTQ issues more than a blurb on their welcome page. I switched gears before looking for who was doing research in those areas. Following this thread with interest!

Bellows! I'm coming!!! Lol :) I'm applying to schools in OK & Texas. I wanna make a safe mental health haven for LGBTQ and atheists in the Bible Belt. Oh, and please don't tell my OK native family that! Har har.

But to actually contribute to the OP's question -- to be honest, I didn't see any LGBTQ focused programs when I was scouring different schools. Sadly, like other posters mentioned very few programs give LGBTQ issues more than a blurb on their welcome page. I switched gears before looking for who was doing research in those areas. Following this thread with interest!

https://www.uta.edu/ra/real/editprofile.php?onlyview=1&pid=385

Just a "for instance."

I think you'll have a paradox there. What's the point of wanting to practice with a vulnerable population if the area that you would be serving has come a long way in making them less vulnerable. Come help out the LGBTQ community in the middle of the bible belt!

Not that I have anything against the west coast... I'd jump at the chance to live or practice in the northwest in particular, particularly in an area with a thriving LGBTQ community. But this (above) is more aligned with my thinking at least at the moment. The intersection of sexuality and religion... eesh.

Thanks, everyone, for your responses so far.

It might be best to pick the most diverse and welcoming program you can find, in the largest city you can stand to live in, and then specializing with electives/ internships/ projects/ research/ whatever.

This sounds about right, and truly I would be fine with that. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't looking over something that would best equip me. So much of academia seems to be "what you make of it" anyway... and I say that from experience having gone through an entirely unrelated MA totally checked out.

Incidentally, I did find this in regard to UTK, which made me smile as it appeared to be heavily supported by the Social Work department and students:

http://outstandingseminar.wordpress.com/about/

Anyway, if anyone has any further thoughts, they'll all be appreciated.

University of Pittsburgh has a Direct Practice concentatin (as I am sure most programs do...). Anyways, there is a decent size LGBT community and some specific agencies where you could do your field placements. For instance, PERSAD is one that is really well-known in the community and from what I have heard a great placement.

While the schools do not have an actual focus/concentration they do work & teach heavily on topics regarding the LGBT community... Stockton College, Monmouth University, & Rutgers.

I completely agree.