MSW in CA-- help needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellothere66

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all--

I am a senior psych major in college and originally from southern ca. In doing my research--and reading a lot on this here forum--I have gathered that applying to MSW programs is better than applying to MFT programs because LCSW > LMFT in terms of:

1) flexibility in what you can do
2) reputation of the degree/licensure
3) job opportunities
4) availability of paid internships

I am a California resident, and have figured out that I need to apply to UC schools in order to keep cost down. I am looking primarily at UCLA and UC Berkeley. The issue is that UC Berkeley requires at least 1 full year (2,100 hours) of social work prior to starting the MSW program! & UCLA strongly encourages it. This means I would have to take a year off between my undergrad work and grad school. This also helps me make up for what is in my opinion my application's biggest weakness: I only have 2 solid letters of rec, and most schools require 3. I am also looking at MSW programs at California State University Long Beach, California State University Los Angeles, San Diego State University, and San Fransisco State University.

So my questions are then...
1) how does this plan seem to you guys? any thoughts?
2) what social-work related thing should I try to do in my year off, and any tips for how to get this type of work?
3) from this limited info, any idea how competitive of an applicant I am (assuming I can do something worthwhile in my year off)?

Thank you so so so much!!! <3

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Case manager position in a community mental health setting would be what you are looking for. How to find that in socal can be challenging because the system is so huge. Navigating that system to find a job night be your first real glimpse into the world of social work and why the profession is needed.