MSW MSW/MPA Dual Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

would-be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does anyone know anything about joint MSW/MPA programs? How selective are they? Do the two disciplines balance/complement each other well? Do people in these programs tend to be (1) current/future social workers who would like to move into managerial positions, or (2) those who would like to work on setting/advising on social service-related government policy, or work in the administration of said policy?

Members don't see this ad.

And a little about me, in case anyone could give advice on whether this might be a good fit based on my interests and aspirations, and whether I'd have a chance of getting into a decent program:

I'm current employed through AmeriCorps at a small non-profit whose chief work is centered around a long-term job training program. I do a combination of case work, job readiness training (resumes, job searches, interview skills, etc.), remedial academic tutoring, volunteer management, and grant writing. I plan to do similar work next year - perhaps at this same non-profit or a different one through AmeriCorps, or find a case worker job somewhere. I'm planning to apply this coming fall, so I'll have more than a year of related experience prior to applying, and two years of experience before beginning a program.

My work is interesting, and I wouldn't mind doing something similar for the duration...so I'm considering studying social work - perhaps with a focus on mental health counseling, though that isn't set in stone. My problem is that I'm concerned that I'll become burnt out if I strictly do one-on-one counseling or clinical social work on a full-time basis. Also, my academic background has made me accustomed to research, writing, and big-picture thinking, and I would enjoy a position that would allow me to employ these skills. I figure that, perhaps, adding an MPA to my MSW would allow me options for careers in which I could combine these two facets (perhaps through managing a human-services-focused non-profit organization), or perhaps begin in clinical social work before moving into some sort of less direct-counseling-focused position.

Education etc.:
- BA International Affairs (3.95 GPA, summa cum laude, high honors, etc.; minor in German and certificate in International Human Rights)
- MA Political Science (4.0 GPA, etc.; focus on comparative politics/international law/political philosophy), both from a large, public Midwestern university.

- GRE: 160 Quant / 165 Verbal.

- Fluent-ish in Spanish. Rusty but formerly fluent in German.

- Haven't asked for letters of recommendation yet, but could get good ones from former professors, the Executive Director of my current non-profit, and a board member who's a retired social worker.

- I've done a good amount of volunteer work over the years, but much of it was education-focused (teaching ESL to adults [which I also did professionally for a spell] and tutoring kids in writing).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!