MSW/MPH, Clinical Programs - Can I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JB32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking into applying to MSW/MPH programs, as well as clinical psychology programs. I am wanting to do work with individuals with eating disorders, and I hope to open my own private practice later on down the road. The only thing that scares me about this process is that my GRE scores aren't so great. My scores are as follows:

VERBAL: 152 (50th percentile)
QUANT: 147 (28th percentile)
ANALYTICAL: 5.0 (93rd percentile)

My scores/percentiles are a little all over the place, and I was just wondering if I had a good chance of getting into the programs that require a GRE score (clinical, MPH). Here are a few other credentials that I have on my CV:

• GPA: 3.824 (graduate magna cum laude) - graduated in 3 years
  • 1 year as undergraduate RA in a social anxiety lab, and 0.5 years in a genetics lab
  • I had a poster accepted to the APA and ABCT conventions for 2016
  • I am working on an eating disorder paper with my supervisor at my current job, and we are revising before submitting
  • I am currently working as a lab manager in a psychology lab at a state university, and as a clinical data manager assistant at a clinical trial location
  • I have 50+ hours of clinical interviewing/behavioral observation experience
  • I have extensive knowledge in various software programs (clinquick, entrypoint plus, etc.)
  • I am proficient in written/spoken Spanish
  • I have 3 solid letters of recommendation from 2 professors and 1 employer from the local public school (I used to be a mentor for highly gifted students)
Please let me know if my GRE scores will significantly hurt me, or if my other credentials will boost me as a prospective applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm finishing my Master's in Mental Health Counseling. Have you looked into some schools that don't require the GRE? Mine did,'t. I'm at Florida International University, however, there are plenty of schools out there that don't require it. I don't know in which state you're looking but you should look into that. For the GRE some schools want to see you took it but can make an exception if you scores are not too high but your grades are, you can also ask admissions at the school directly.

I'm looking at schools in the Midwest, primarily. I was wanting to do social work to become an LCSW (since they can run their own practice). I wanted the dual degree in public health so that I could be more competitive, and it goes very well with my career interests. But thank you for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can have your own practice as a mental health counselor, MFT, social worker as long as you're licensed. Social work is good field since is been around longer than other counseling professions. Either way Good Luck to you.

What do you think the MPH will add to your credentials? How do you expect it to make you more competitive?

I'd have to say that you have a solid background except for your scores. Scoring at the 50th percantile for the verbal and 28th for analytical is not good at all. The only thing that will counterbalance that is your academic background (i.e. GPA, research experience and such). I would suggest you spend time solely on studying for the GRE and retake it to boost your chances of getting into a solid program.

Also if you wanna own a private practice why go the LCSW way? You have a great GPA and a good amount of research experience AND a poster. From what ive seen on SDN, Clinical and Counseling Psychologists have a way more varied scope of practice (such that instead of just doing therapy and a few minor assessments as a LCSW, you are able to do assessments and bill more for insurance as a psychologist and you will have more experience doing therapy [3-4 years learning about and how to do therapy and around 4 or 5 years of therapy training minimum which is not counting post-doctoral fellowships compared to the 2 years of doing what alot of MSW students consider as boring non-clinical SW courses and then 2 years of therapy training before getting your LCSW license])

To end with, I would like to ask a question, would you rather have average (and sometimes the bare minimum) of therapy training or have exceptional training in therapy and assessment? Also this isn't meant to offend anyone, this is just my honest and blunt opinion especially with the OP's academic experiences