MUA for Chiropractic adjustments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neogenesis

Certifiable
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing anesthesia for MUAs for chiropractors? Just wondering in what type of setting these are being done

Members don't see this ad.

What's the point of this? So the patient can't feel it when their spine is broken?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's fine if u were doing your own billing.

Usually involves from primary care doc signing off the chart on the chiropractor and than out sourcing for anesthesia (paying them X Amount)

I bet a management company is involved in this as well.

Seems weird to me. Don't chiropractors try to keep their pts off drugs, and now they want their pts to get drugs in order to get adjusted??

P.S. How many chiropractors does it take to change a light bulb?

Just 1, but it takes 14 visits.

It's analogous to MUA by orthopods for joint ROM, dislocations, etc.
orly.jpg

I thought the ASA was against this.

American Society of Anesthesiologists Statement on Chiropractic Manipulation Under Anesthesia

RESOLVED, that the American Society of Anesthesiologists declares that the use of general anesthesia for chiropractic spinal manipulation has no scientific basis and that there is no evidence to support a claim that its use is either safe or beneficial for patients.

Yes, they are opposed to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when looking at the ASA closed claims database for claims made for pain management procedures several things stand out. Many of the most devastating injuries/deaths involved heavy sedation for cervical produces. So when asking what could got wrong with pushing a little propofol for a cervical manipulation, just think back to those closed claims.

Reactions: 1 users
have done it at the surgi center ... Iv sedation , have done hundreds of them , no issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's minimal if any proven benefit to chiropractic manipulation, so why subject the patient to the risks of sedation or be involved in this in anyway?

Oh yeah, $$$.