MUA or IAU or AUA ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calgarian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
helloooo...

i am a non traditional student w business degree from Canada and all required pre-requsites. I am in between of deciding carribean medical school. please help me to choose between Medical University of Americas, Interternational American University or American University of Antigua. I am thinking about MUA bcz of its 100%residency rate in 2012 and 94% USMLE 1 rate??? please help me. I have talked to these university few times and liked MUA but when came on this forum, it feels like most of you r supporting AUA? now which uni i should choose?? i know i am interested in either psychiatry or pediatric speacialization and would eventualy like to move back to Alberta.

I am an avg student bc of less science background with GPA of 3.0? will i be able to survive in medical school and through USMLE exams? my big drawback is stressing out during exams. I know i can enter in any school but what about surviving it through for next 10 yrs.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the schools you have listed. Honestly, the only schools with shreds of respect are SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC.

Also, you seem to have doubts about yourself. Nobody is going to hold your hand. It's all about committing yourself to success. Start doing that now if you want to become a doctor; it's a rough and long journey.

Thank you for your reply though you don't know much about the schools. but it still means a lot to me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No school has 100% residency rate. Go to MUA or AUA or better yet go to SGU, Ross, Saba or AUC.

helloooo...

i am a non traditional student w business degree from Canada and all required pre-requsites. I am in between of deciding carribean medical school. please help me to choose between Medical University of Americas, Interternational American University or American University of Antigua. I am thinking about MUA bcz of its 100%residency rate in 2012 and 94% USMLE 1 rate??? please help me. I have talked to these university few times and liked MUA but when came on this forum, it feels like most of you r supporting AUA? now which uni i should choose?? i know i am interested in either psychiatry or pediatric speacialization and would eventualy like to move back to Alberta.

I am an avg student bc of less science background with GPA of 3.0? will i be able to survive in medical school and through USMLE exams? my big drawback is stressing out during exams. I know i can enter in any school but what about surviving it through for next 10 yrs.

I have no idea of where your adventure has taken you, but I will reply to your post. GPA's and scores in my opinion have a small impact on the final results of you making it through medical school. You must set aside every aspect of social life, especially when attending the foreign medical schools, which have shorter programs vs. US. Thats my 5cents on the subject. Next is the pass rate from MUA, being its really the only school i am familar with I will post the past and somewhat present performance for step 1.
In a prior section of its response, the agency adequately addressed steps the MUA took in response to its low 2007-2008 USMLE Step 1 first time pass rate, including changes in the curriculum, faculty/administration, and physical plant. However, the agency also reported in its response that the MUA's most recent pass rate, for 2010-2011, stands at 80.5%, which is below the agency's target benchmark of 85%. The agency is requested to provide information regarding corrective actions it is requiring the MUA to take in light of the 2010-2011 pass rates.

Additional information is needed regarding the corrective actions the ACCM is requiring of the MUA in light of the MUA's low USMLE Step 1 first time pass rate in 2010-2011. This information as you can see is slightly outdated, but its the real information, not the steroid induced one, portrayed on their website, however again its a bit outdated, so feel free to do further research. At the end of the journey it comes down to how well you prepare yourself, not the school. Best of luck!

A slightly different perspective...

You must set aside every aspect of social life, especially when attending the foreign medical schools, which have shorter programs vs. US.

This was not my experience. There is some time for play. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." You just can't play ALL the time. You can (and will) have friends, some of whom become lifelong. And, you will have time to party... occasionally.

However, the agency also reported in its response that the MUA's most recent pass rate, for 2010-2011, stands at 80.5%, which is below the agency's target benchmark of 85%. The agency is requested to provide information regarding corrective actions it is requiring the MUA to take in light of the 2010-2011 pass rates.

What is this "agency" you are referring to? The biggest complaint about the Caribbean schools is that there is no uniform reporting of precisely the information you are reporting.

At the end of the journey it comes down to how well you prepare yourself, not the school. Best of luck!

The school does matter. Some of the Caribbean schools, most regular posters know which ones, have a long track record of placing graduates into residency programs. They also have the ability to get their graduates permanently licensed (i.e., not just a training license) in all fifty states. Other schools will promise you the world, but can't deliver. The worst case scenario is that you go to a program that gives you a medical degree that really isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Caveat emptor!

-Skip

Which school is better in preparing for usmle and have helpful with setting up rotations, AUA or MUA?

Which school is better in preparing for usmle and have helpful with setting up rotations, AUA or MUA?

SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC > AUA >>>>>>>> everybody else. Choose accordingly.

I have heard many bad things about AUA, i was wondering if you know more details about that school.

I do not, sorry. I've done some of my MS3 clerkships with a few AUA students and they all seemed fine, but I don't know any specifics about the school.

AUA the good - 2 semester system gives enough time to study, cali approval, administration willing to listen to student concerns including firing profs and deans involved in cheating. Clinicals are improving. Like stated the administration will help you once you make it to clinicals.

The bad - loan situation is horrible. Numerous lenders cut ties with the school due to rampant cheating, exorbitant interest, rampant cheating causing nbme and kaplan to red flag the school, and the list goes on in terms of serious integrity issues on part of faculty from manipal

Members don't see this ad :)
AUA the good - 2 semester system gives enough time to study, cali approval, administration willing to listen to student concerns including firing profs and deans involved in cheating. Clinicals are improving. Like stated the administration will help you once you make it to clinicals.

The bad - loan situation is horrible. Numerous lenders cut ties with the school due to rampant cheating, exorbitant interest, rampant cheating causing nbme and kaplan to red flag the school, and the list goes on in terms of serious integrity issues on part of faculty from manipal

If NBME and Kaplan red flag the school, how would a student be able to study for USMLE? Would you say Medical University of Americas is better than AUA?

If NBME and Kaplan red flag the school, how would a student be able to study for USMLE? Would you say Medical University of Americas is better than AUA?

At present students need to get 68 on kaplan subject shelves and 72 on kaplan or nbme comp shelf (equiv to >240 on step1) to write step 1. You can validate this from the student hand book on the school website. Students who dont clear comp within couple months get dismissed. The same for step 2ck. Students cant write step 2ck unless scoring >76 on clinical comp shelf. This way only students who score on avg >230 on ALL steps would be eligible to apply for residency.
No school preps you for usmle. Its self teach.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not, sorry. I've done some of my MS3 clerkships with a few AUA students and they all seemed fine, but I don't know any specifics about the school.

Check the student handbook posted on the school website. Question the stringent guidelines placed by nbme and kaplan.

At present students need to get 68 on kaplan subject shelves and 72 on kaplan or nbme comp shelf (equiv to >240 on step1) to write step 1. You can validate this from the student hand book on the school website. Students who dont clear comp within couple months get dismissed. The same for step 2ck. Students cant write step 2ck unless scoring >76 on clinical comp shelf. This way only students who score on avg >230 on ALL steps would be eligible to apply for residency.
No school preps you for usmle. Its self teach.

Don't you think its too much just to sit for USMLE?

Don't you think its too much just to sit for USMLE?
Not everyone matches. You need a bare min of atleast 225 on avg to match. A lot if not ALL who match from carrib have on avg 230 or above

Not everyone matches. You need a bare min of atleast 225 on avg to match. A lot if not ALL who match from carrib have on avg 230 or above

I am stuck between AUA and MUA. Don't know which one is better.

Sgu>Auc=Ross>>>saba=Mua>>AUA. I rank mua above aua since mua is saba's sister school. Also I know saba is VERY unforgiving to students in basic sci so I presume MUA is the same. AUA is VERY lax in basic sci leading to rampant cheating. But AUA clinicals are better than mua's.

I rank mua above aua since mua is saba's sister school

Saba is accredited by the NVAO and their graduates can get an unrestricted license to practice medicine in all 50 states.

MUA not so much.

And, "sister school"? This is the first time I'm hearing this.

-Skip

Saba is accredited by the NVAO and their graduates can get an unrestricted license to practice medicine in all 50 states.

MUA not so much.

And, "sister school"? This is the first time I'm hearing this.

-Skip

Both schools are managed by the same administration. I am guessing MUA would have similar standards as SABA which I know is very stringent.

Both schools are managed by the same administration. I am guessing MUA would have similar standards as SABA which I know is very stringent.

Okay, I'm with you on this story...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-founder-faces-trial-over-swiss-accounts.html

... but I wouldn't call them "sister" schools anymore than I would call Ross University in Dominica and University of Medicine and Health Sciences in St. Kitts - both founded by Robert Ross - "sister" schools.

A "sister" school would imply that they have interchangeable credentialing, accreditation, etc. and this simply is not the case.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I'm with you on this story...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-founder-faces-trial-over-swiss-accounts.html

... but I wouldn't call them "sister" schools anymore than I would call Ross University in Dominica and University of Medicine and Health Sciences in St. Kitts - both founded by Robert Ross - "sister" schools.

A "sister" school would imply that they have interchangeable credentialing, accreditation, etc. and this simply is not the case.

-Skip

Wow. I never realized SABA had such a track record. I mean black money in swiss bank accounts is really crossing the line. I don't know how these Caribbean schools manage to get away with all this.

I don't know how these Caribbean schools manage to get away with all this.

This has nothing to do with the day-to-day operation nor the quality of the medical education program at Saba and everything to do with the sale of the school to a private equity group in 2007, and allegations that the prior owner(s) who sold the school is(are) evading taxes.

So, it's not so much that "these Caribbean schools" are getting "away with all of this." But, it does underscore that there is big money involved, and that people moving the pieces around the chess board clearly know this.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Sgu>Auc=Ross>>>saba=Mua>>AUA. I rank mua above aua since mua is saba's sister school. Also I know saba is VERY unforgiving to students in basic sci so I presume MUA is the same. AUA is VERY lax in basic sci leading to rampant cheating. But AUA clinicals are better than mua's.

you said about MUA being sister sister school to Saba, i heard that MUA is no longer owned by the same owner of Saba. Do you know anything about it?