Much higher earnings in private practice with a DSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BX1959

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting graph that made me wonder if there's more value to the DSW than I thought. See page 3:

http://workforce.socialworkers.org/studies/profiles/Private Practice Solo and Group.pdf

Basically, the NASW data indicates that having a DSW or PhD is correlated with higher earnings in private practice than is a MSW. The difference at the median is 78,000 versus 52,000. At the 75th percentile, it's 109,100 versus 80,000. And at the 90th percentile, it's 200,000 versus 124,800. That looks like a pretty big difference to me!

Does this mean that if you continue on to get a DSW after earning your MSW, you can expect significantly higher salaries in private practice? Or are there other factors in play? (For instance, maybe those who pursue the DSW were already earning more in private practice, or they would have earned more without the DSW.)

I also wonder if the PhD in the "DSW or PhD" bar could include a psychology PhD.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, is correlation causation? I forget, lol. The Dsws/Phds in the NASW survey would all be social workers. The DSW was just supposed to be a "practice oriented" doctorate, but it is not licensed so even if you earn one you'll be reimbursed the same as an LCSW. I guess it's possible that they can get away with charging more for a cash only practice? I'm honestly not sure, the DSW/PhD really is only meant as a stepping stone into academia (e.g., teaching, research) so if you're interested in clinical work, but think you want to go the doctorate route, you would probably be best served with one in clinical or counseling psychology -- as I said in one of the other threads you've got going (we should combine these, there's like five) the training/approach/perspective/degree that best suites you also has to come into consideration, not just which one stands to make which amount of money. Of course, it is prudent to look into such things, there is just much more for you to consider in depth.

Reactions: 2 users
I think DSWs earn more money because of public perception. If you are a Dr., you know more and can, therefore, charge more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think DSWs earn more money because of public perception. If you are a Dr., you know more and can, therefore, charge more.

Yea. Cause my cousin with the phd Elizabethan Poetry makes bank.

Yea. Cause my cousin with the phd Elizabethan Poetry makes bank.

To be fair, to the average person, I could see how having a doctorate would increase perceived competence, regardless of whether or not the doctorate actually did increase said competence.

I totally agree with this. People think a doctor is more desirable than just a therapist. Even if it's the same person. Public perception is huge. People can be quite snobby sometimes and only want the best. They want Dr. So and so. Think about when you get sick and you go to the Dr. Office. The nurse practitioner is prob more than qualified to diagnose you and prescribe you meds. But wouldn't you feel weird if you went there and only saw the nurse? You'd ask where the doctor was.
It's the same thing. People think that a doctor is more competent, even if he/she may not be. But doctors (MD, PhD, DSW) DO get advanced training so they are more knowledgeable. Not saying that they are better. Just saying that they know more stuff.

Regarding that earnings scale, I wouldn't make too much of it, as, yes, correlation does not imply causation. Remember back in stats class forever and a half ago when you learned that a third variable may be the cause of the correlation? Like, ice cream sales are correlated with violence. Does eating ice cream cause violence? No, but high temperatures may cause eating ice cream and violence...Likewise, all doctoral programs seek out students with over two years of experience, the more the better, so, you might just be observing a correlation with a third variable, between experience and earnings. Does this survey factor out experience from level of degree in its comparison of respective earnings?