Much older student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sigh, it's a point made in the extreme. The level of literal thinking sometimes. . .Oy.

It means that people have made it through hard things--Holocaust or something else. Really? Residency is the end-all/be-all of hard things in life? Come on already.

You can also say that many people don't have the choice for lots of bad stuff and hard stuff in life. Every single day this is true, with billions, the world over. My God. There are even, dare say, people that have gratitude about the hard things they didn't choose to do; b/c they became totally different people b/c of the experiences.

There are also people that have gone into things and done things that were hard and very stressful of their own choosing. They've had their feet to the fire many times and walk on, living lives of purpose without whining about it.

And you could also say that people that have so much to give--and should give it in medicine--have been, were, or will be obstructed by attitudes like some of the ridiculous ones above. The attitude broaches upon being somewhat pathological. Again, it is shameful if that happens.

A number of others 40+ and I can, have, and do kick butt in many ways compared with some that are not of the same chronological age. Dealing with hard crap in a profession is a reality of life. Some people can somehow skirt their way through; but eventually the hard stuff of life catches up with them in one way or another.

The overall point is that people get through hard stuff--all the time--young, middle, even those that are truly elderly.

People need to get over this.

BTW, as a surgical RN in ICU, I have felt this strongly as a 20 year old. I saw the age thing even then for what it is, bias, pure and simple. You have to look at people holistically, and until you can do that, you really can't look at people in a just and sound manner at all. If you can't really embrace what it means to be truly holistic, well, you probably cannot even look at yourself in the right manner at all.

Two issues. One: "too old." Two: "residency is so horrible, only 20 to 30x's (not sure where the end of "x" is) can go through it and get through it well. Holy crap.

Still finding the thread fun though. :) Just have to do some work for a while so. . . .

Have at me, them, whomever! ;)

Yes, the hard parts of life can be dealt with. Yes, they can be overcome with grace and perseverance.
That doesn't mean you have to do something because it's hard.
There's plenty of the crap parts of life to go around, why seek out more unnecessarily?

On the other hand, I'm not totally without optimism or anti-dream pursuit (I am signing up for this med school madness after all). And I do appreciate the brand of optimism that exists here on the non-trad forum (i.e. it's a long road and you have to shovel xyz piles of **** to get there, but it's possible). I just prefer to know about the **** piles in advance.

But, I think we can all agree (maybe? can we?) that no one, of any age, should go into medicine on a whim. After all, the resounding chorus greeting any newbie poster here is "Have you smelled the patients? No? Go smell the patients! Know what you're getting into!"
Because fantasy-land ("I'm a noble, smart person. I will help people!") may survive into med school for the most head-in-the-clouds pre-med, but it for sure won't survive the clinical years or residency.
And to get so far into debt and obligation only to discover then that you can't stand it, is a terrible thing.

The OP, who seems to have been scared away, has so far only exhibited this fantasy-land mentality. And by the time she can experience enough to know for sure that this is the thing for her, she may have reached the point where it is neither a practical nor beneficial path to follow.
To be blindly optimistic about her chances of doing this, I think is to do her a disservice. If she's one to power through and shovel the **** necessary to get to the end of the road, then more power to her. But to fail to warn her that those piles exist, I think is just cruel.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OP: may I suggest getting fluent in MCAT test-taking knowledge and ability? Don't use that as a means to apply to medical school, use that as a way to work for Kaplan or work as a private-tutor. There are an INCREDIBLE amount of pre-meds out there that WILL pay an incredible amount of money for your services. There are suckers out there that will pay you and gain nothing, and there are the genuine hard-workers that will gain a thing or two from your expertise. A friend of mine, who as an M1, just said f*** medical school and is one of the directors for Kaplan - might I say, he is pretty well-off.

Win-win for both sides, if you ask me. =)

J,

So...you ducked my questions with a barrage of Nursey sounding lifecoach stuff. If you hadn't noticed. I'm not a self-help consumer. And certainly not a purveyor.

How old are you? In other words--what's your dog in the race? And why are you a perennial premed? Are you too old to get the job done?

I can sense a cringe from the mannerly nontrad sdn crowd. Stop it. There's no Press-Gainey score for not spreading feelgoodery for self-interested purposes. This is real grown up **** here. 3 large with interest going into a puttering economy with a health care spending train that is headed for a cliff with the entire Baby Boomer generation dragging us over. And a **** ton of work for the opportunity of getting onboard.

I submit to you: Don't trust anyone blowing sunshine up your butt who hasn't completed training or is at least deep into it. There is an acute mania with psychotic features involved in being a premed who is trying to be accepted. Not unlike being a born again christian. It's adaptive to the circumstance. But it resembles nothing in what doing this job is like.

In some ways that's awesome. I enjoy being an intern more than being a medical student. And I liked that better than being a premed. But I will never recommend this to my grandmother. Or somebody who is somebody else's grandmother.

It doesn't matter if it's their dream. I've had lots of dreams. Some were f'n stupid. And I'm glad they never came true.

What different does it make, especially to you--and really to anyone for that matter what my age is? This remains as one of your funnier questions. You want to ask me what color I am--or my ancestry? How about my religion, creed, sexual orientation? LOL. You are the one ducking your own real issues, which is fine I guess if that's what you want to do. I think there is more to it than that. I have to wonder if this back and forth may feel therapeutic to you given your overall frustration with your choice at this time. As I recall, even before you became a medical student and were the lowly ole pre-med, I felt that you generalized with people--only back then it was the younsters that were beneath you in age. So, there you were skillfully and stylistically separating yourself into another realm of folks that were somehow more to the advantage than another group. Stop separating people by these silly labels for God's sake. I am reasonably certain you would not do this in RL in mixed company. Why do it here--other than b/c it's a source of displacement or entertainment. But you should know full well by now that there is already more than enough ugly displacement in the profession of medicine and healthcare in general.

No one has ever blown sunshine my way. I knew that long before you even dreamed of taking a physics course. LOL You truly are killing me he--even though it is entertaining.

Well, good for you and your dreams that did or didn't come true. Where's the relevancy with that to your bias on age, or I don't know, gender, race, whatever?

This is such utter BS. God, tons of people happily make it through residency. Stop whining about it and get on with your life. And in the meantime, work on what it means to be a true leader in your profession, or just get through residency, get your job, and please just stop telling yourself that you are doing anyone any favors. You aren't doing anything for anyone, except you.

UM, BTW, some people have been grandparents before your butt was even accepted to medical school. Of course I am not one yet, but I wouldn't care if I were.

You don't want to recommend the medical path. Dude, you've done that. Asked and answered. And please don't generalize so much to others. I have no mania about pre-med. A person can do the best he/she can and put out the best application and go from there. Don't make it more than it is. It's like getting out of whack about interview--as if a person's very life and next breath were dependent on getting "love" from a school or getting a job. You can be committed to something whilst also employing balanced thinking and generally sound life-perspective.

And wow , this comment of yours--kind of scary, "with the entire Baby Boomer generation dragging us over" makes me think you are one of the one's on board with just giving those of a certain age the hemlock. This is how, sadly, some people, even in medicine think. Thing is, in a few years, see if you feel the same way. I don't know? Will you be chugging it right down when the glass is handed to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the age one would say go and find something to do instead of investing 7+ years of your life in medicine? IMO, >35 should be that age...

Yes, the hard parts of life can be dealt with. Yes, they can be overcome with grace and perseverance.
That doesn't mean you have to do something because it's hard.
There's plenty of the crap parts of life to go around, why seek out more unnecessarily?

On the other hand, I'm not totally without optimism or anti-dream pursuit (I am signing up for this med school madness after all). And I do appreciate the brand of optimism that exists here on the non-trad forum (i.e. it's a long road and you have to shovel xyz piles of **** to get there, but it's possible). I just prefer to know about the **** piles in advance.

But, I think we can all agree (maybe? can we?) that no one, of any age, should go into medicine on a whim. After all, the resounding chorus greeting any newbie poster here is "Have you smelled the patients? No? Go smell the patients! Know what you're getting into!"
Because fantasy-land ("I'm a noble, smart person. I will help people!") may survive into med school for the most head-in-the-clouds pre-med, but it for sure won't survive the clinical years or residency.
And to get so far into debt and obligation only to discover then that you can't stand it, is a terrible thing.

The OP, who seems to have been scared away, has so far only exhibited this fantasy-land mentality. And by the time she can experience enough to know for sure that this is the thing for her, she may have reached the point where it is neither a practical nor beneficial path to follow.
To be blindly optimistic about her chances of doing this, I think is to do her a disservice. If she's one to power through and shovel the **** necessary to get to the end of the road, then more power to her. But to fail to warn her that those piles exist, I think is just cruel.

Whether something is hard or not isn't the real issue or even question here, and I think we all really know that reality--if we are honest.
Where's the whim on the part of the OP, necessarily? She asked some questions. She has not returned to the thread, so you may wonder if she is all hot to do this thing. OTOH, maybe she has decided to get less extreme input elsewhere--like Oldpremeds.

Last edited:
What is the age one would say go and find something to do instead of investing 7+ years of your life in medicine? IMO, >35 should be that age...
No that is what YOU would say. Sure some others also. It depends on the financial situation of the individual. Try to think holistically.

Whether something is hard or not isn't the real issue or even question here, and I think we all really know that reality--if we are honest.
Where's the whim on the part of the OP, necessarily? She asked some questions. She has not returned to the thread, so you may wonder if she is all hot to do this thing. OTOH, maybe she has decided to get less extreme input elsewhere--like Oldpremeds.

Right here...
I am an empty nester who wanted to go to medical school, but went to engineering school instead. I have been raising kids for the past 23 years and now have the time I was lacking earlier in my life.

I am really bored now that my kids have all left home ... I am just really ready for a change and have wanted to be a doctor since I was six years old.

I don't have any issue with her asking questions, I just hope she's realistic enough to take the answers she's gotten, run them through her personal bull**** filter, and then evaluate her motivations and plans accordingly.

What different does it make, especially to you--and really to anyone for that matter what my age is? This remains as one of your funnier questions. You want to ask me what color I am--or my ancestry? How about my religion, creed, sexual orientation? LOL. You are the one ducking your own real issues, which is fine I guess if that's what you want to do. I think there is more to it than that. I have to wonder if this back and forth may feel therapeutic to you given your overall frustration with your choice at this time. As I recall, even before you became a medical student and were the lowly ole pre-med, I felt that you generalized with people--only back then it was the younsters that were beneath you in age. So, there you were skillfully and stylistically separating yourself into another realm of folks that were somehow more to the advantage than another group. Stop separating people by these silly labels for God's sake. I am reasonably certain you would not do this in RL in mixed company. Why do it here--other than b/c it's a source of displacement or entertainment. But you should know full well by now that there is already more than enough ugly displacement in the profession of medicine and healthcare in general.

No one has ever blown sunshine my way. I knew that long before you even dreamed of taking a physics course. LOL You truly are killing me he--even though it is entertaining.

Well, good for you and your dreams that did or didn't come true. Where's the relevancy with that to your bias on age, or I don't know, gender, race, whatever?

This is such utter BS. God, tons of people happily make it through residency. Stop whining about it and get on with your life. And in the meantime, work on what it means to be a true leader in your profession, or just get through residency, get your job, and please just stop telling yourself that you are doing anyone any favors. You aren't doing anything for anyone, except you.

UM, BTW, some people have been grandparents before your butt was even accepted to medical school. Of course I am not one yet, but I wouldn't care if I were.

You don't want to recommend the medical path. Dude, you've done that. Asked and answered. And please don't generalize so much to others. I have no mania about pre-med. A person can do the best he/she can and put out the best application and go from there. Don't make it more than it is. It's like getting out of whack about interview--as if a person's very life and next breath were dependent on getting "love" from a school or getting a job. You can be committed to something whilst also employing balanced thinking and generally sound life-perspective.

And wow , this comment of yours--kind of scary, "with the entire Baby Boomer generation dragging us over" makes me think you are one of the one's on board with just giving those of a certain age the hemlock. This is how, sadly, some people, even in medicine think. Thing is, in a few years, see if you feel the same way. I don't know? Will you be chugging it right down when the glass is handed to you?

So....what you're saying is...you're old as dirt.

Last edited:

Yeah 35-40 is a gray area. Financially probably not the smartest. But over 45 for me is a contarindication. Just like any judgment call. Not without exception. But enough to give your informed opinion on.

Whatever drama that causes in the minds of the hearer. I don't mind. My assessment is just that. Take it or leave it.

I could hear reasonable arguments for contraindications for 3o and over. And not really disagree except that it's me and I would still have done it anyway.

Look. This job I'm doing. Being an intern in NYC. Carrying 10 sometimes 20 patients. Cross-covering 50. Discharge one get another. Straight cappin. Machine note wiring. Consult calling. Doing the nurses jobs cause union rules say this and that.

What was your thought process in ranking NYC programs?

It's no secret that NYC programs suck double donkey butt in terms of patients, petulant nurses, scut work, and hours. After all, NYC is where Libby Zion was crucified and became our savior from unrestricted work hours. The misery must be amplified when heading to work in the predawn darkness and crossing paths with the young & carefree stumbling home, and when leaving work in the darkness as the young & carefree are headed out to party.

So....what you're saying is...you're old as dirt.

Not at all. What you are saying says, well, you are an arse. Everyone has the right to be one. You might want to hold off on abusing the privilege though. ;)

Yeah 35-40 is a gray area. .

Hahahaha. yea. right. Cuz you are just under the line--or pert-near on it--probably past it at this point. Wow. Hooray for you and to hell with anyone else. LOL You so kill me.

Yeah 35-40 is a gray area. Financially probably not the smartest.

I would agree with that. I think >40 is definitely a bad financial move unless you are betting that you will be healthy into your 70s and you are willing to work at that age... On the other hand, having a MD/DO degree is kind of a hot commodity in that even if you are in you 60s, it's not difficult to get a job like other profession. In addition, you can make 100k/year working only 20 hrs or 2 days/wk... That is probably one of the major reasons it might not be bad financially even if you are in the 35-40 gray area.

For instance, I know someone who left his 5ok/year job and started at 35. He is entering the match this year. I think he has a very good chance in matching into neurosurgery... In his case, I think it was a good move because he will make up the money he loss in probably 4 years post residency (as opposed to living paycheck to paycheck into his 50s, which is the situation of most families with an income of 90k/year)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with that. I think >40 is definitely a bad financial move unless you are betting that you will be healthy into your 70s and you are willing to work at that age... On the other hand, having a MD/DO degree is kind of a hot commodity in that even if you are in you 60s, it's not difficult to get a job like other profession. In addition, you can make 100k/year working only 20 hrs or 2 days/wk... That is probably one of the major reasons it might not be bad financially even if you are in the 35-40 gray area.

For instance, I know someone who left his 5ok/year job and started at 35. He is entering the match this year. I think he has a very good chance in matching into neurosurgery... In his case, I think it was a good move because he will make up the money he loss in probably 4 years post residency (as opposed to living paycheck to paycheck into his 50s, which is the situation of most families with an income of 90k/year)

Where does he stand in terms of overall financials, security, provisions? The particulars do make a difference. And if I were going for the money and the bigger immediate financial bang for my buck, you could easily say CRNA would be the way to go for me. I have plenty of nurse-friends in CRNA now making well over $140-150,000. Personally I think it would be a shame for me to go that route, even with all the critical care experience. I'd be a great candidate for it. And heck, some CRNAs make a lot more than that. But if you want to call me a fool for going for PC medicine, which will pretty much be on the same level, financially s peaking, at least in earlier years, as my CRNA buddies, well, be my guest. LOL I sure won't cry over it.

I look great, am intelligent, and I'm good shape. For me, I don't see a problem moving towards this goal. I know what would make the most sense for me and what wouldn't. Sure, I'd love critical care medicine--especially peds, or even ED. I'm realistic enough to know that that would be something that probably wouldn't make the most sense for me and for my future goals. Plus, there's a longer load of stuff going that route. There's more than enough need in primary care, thank you.

Where does he stand in terms of overall financials, security, provisions? The particulars do make a difference. And if I were going for the money and the bigger immediate financial bang for my buck, you could easily say CRNA would be the way to go for me. I have plenty of nurse-friends in CRNA now making well over $140-150,000. Personally I think it would be a shame for me to go that route, even with all the critical care experience. I'd be a great candidate for it. And heck, some CRNAs make a lot more than that. But if you want to call me a fool for going for PC medicine, which will pretty much be on the same level, financially s peaking, at least in earlier years, as my CRNA buddies, well, be my guest. LOL I sure won't cry over it.

I look great, am intelligent, and I'm good shape. For me, I don't see a problem moving towards this goal. I know what would make the most sense for me and what wouldn't. Sure, I'd love critical care medicine--especially peds, or even ED. I'm realistic enough to know that that would be something that probably wouldn't make the most sense for me and for my future goals. Plus, there's a longer load of stuff going that route. There's more than enough need in primary care, thank you.
Did you even consider CRNA? At what age did you start med school? I know medicine has a lot of intangibles, that was why, as a RT, I chose it over PA even if PA would have made financial sense as well... The intangibles in medicine are too much to ignore even if many in SDN would tell you otherwise...

First, yes I did consider CRNA a while ago; but I found that I was more interested in what the residents/attending were doing with applied medicine in the units--and when working with them, we were always tweaking this and that, trying to get the right recipe with hemodynamics, blood gases, labs, response from hemodyn drips, or colloids, etc. I loved looking deep and then looking at the big picture, and the resident physicians, fellows, and attendings, overall were great at this--I mean, I think, with the right people in these areas, you can learn and work as a team. That's a great feeling, especially when you see pts progressing. And when they won't or can't, it's a good feeling knowing you worked together to do the best you could and at the very least, make them as comfortable as possible. It's still hard--hearing parents cry out with reverberating screams when their children have died. You can't help but take some of it home or dream about it.

I have so really loved working with people that love to teach and love to make sure that they/we do/are doing what can be done to get the most optimal results. Sure I like the patients and families--sometimes that uber stressful; but it was the medicine that always fascinated me--for years. I think that's why I stayed in critical care. Sure, I liked reading the gases and weaning patients off vents, titrating gtts and watching responses. I've been pretty fascinated with the mysteries as well--when I could be--when I was not running around trying to bust hump keeping up with all the changes and things we were doing. Generally, it's been pretty cool. There are many things that are beyond tough; but that just goes with it all. It's not the kind of field where you can just function when things are progressing well. You have to adapt to the bad situations and hopefully this transpires as a team as well. I mean there is NOTHING in this world like a good team of people with which to work--doesn't matter age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. When the team works, it's makes a world of difference, period.

No. I am not in medical school. I am not saying I will be a "one-shot" wonder, but I want to try to be w/o having to repeat the app process. I'm also limited as to where I can apply--within some reason--d/t to family commitments and so forth. This behooves me to make my absolute best application first time out. My choices are more limited than others in terms of how far away I can go.

I so hear what you mean. I know a number of RRT's that went to nursing and then jumped to CRNA or Perfusionist. (Unit nurses often have good working relationships with the RRTs. To me, it's always been a must.) Seriously, those (CRNA or perfusionist) people can make a nice income; but doing this every day would be a waste for me. It may not be so for others; but for me, it would be. I am much better suited to direct, healthcare management of patients. It is what it is. I mean it's kind of like this. I can sing well. God blessed me in that regard. And I can sketch but cannot draw anything close to what my father or others could/can do. So, if I wanted to pursue either of those arts, even though there is still a learning curve and other aspects to consider, it would make more sense for me to focus more on music and singing, rather than drawing or painting or sculpting. I mean, you go with where you have the most aptitude--so long as you really care about that particular area and working hard in it.

Regardless, I am moving forward with my goals. The best to you as your move ahead as well. :)

Last edited:
OP: may I suggest getting fluent in MCAT test-taking knowledge and ability? Don't use that as a means to apply to medical school, use that as a way to work for Kaplan or work as a private-tutor. There are an INCREDIBLE amount of pre-meds out there that WILL pay an incredible amount of money for your services. There are suckers out there that will pay you and gain nothing, and there are the genuine hard-workers that will gain a thing or two from your expertise. A friend of mine, who as an M1, just said f*** medical school and is one of the directors for Kaplan - might I say, he is pretty well-off.

Win-win for both sides, if you ask me. =)

Words of wisdom. I see why you are in pharmacy school. :)

How did these republican debags get into medical school? LOL They sound like people on Fox News. Every day is dooms day!

It depends on what the person's career goal is, because medicine isn't a monolithic field. Is the goal to become a PCP? Sure, totally doable in one's 40s (or even one's 50s for a select few). There are good reasons why most older nontrads (those who are 40+ when they go to med school) end up in primary care, not the least of which is that these specialties require fewer years of training. And if an older nontrad can fill a niche that desperately needs filling (ex. commits to practicing as a PCP in the underserved community where they have lived their entire life), it is probably worthwhile for society to invest in their medical education. Is the goal to become a neurosurgeon, a physician scientist, or a super-subspecialist like an interventional cardiologist? If you're starting med school in your late 30s, those kinds of career paths rapidly become less and less realistic with each passing year. A fifty-year-old medical student shouldn't even entertain the thought of them.

Reactions: 3 users
It depends on what the person's career goal is, because medicine isn't a monolithic field. Is the goal to become a PCP? Sure, totally doable in one's 40s (or even one's 50s for a select few). There are good reasons why most older nontrads (those who are 40+ when they go to med school) end up in primary care, not the least of which is that these specialtiesin require fewer years of training. And if an older nontrad can fill a niche that desperately needs filling (ex. commits to practicing as a PCP in the underserved community where they have lived their entire life), it is probably worthwhile for society to invest in their medical education. Is the goal to become a neurosurgeon, a physician scientist, or a super-subspecialist like an interventional cardiologist? If you're starting med school in your late 30s, those kinds of career paths rapidly become less and less realistic with each passing year. A fifty-year-old medical student shouldn't even entertain the thought of them.

Those are huge caveats. I agree it's not at all monolithic. One of the biggest surprises of medical training for me so far was just how different the specialties are. They are separate universes. But medical students aren't monolithic either and the best fit for a person is a huge factor in the "worth it" calculus at any age.

Also this notion that primary care is a sweet gig for older people is patently false. Primary care is a hustling grind. 15 minutes a pop all day long. You have to be quick. Efficiency pressures are going up everywhere in medicine.

I think fields that are better for old people--likE me--are anesthesiology, PM&R, psychiatry, pathology, dermatology, like that. Not so good fields are primary care fields. And horrible choices are EM, surgery, any field with long training as you say.

I don't thin its a good wager the older you get for that exact reason, who loves primary care? Or whatever else that one can even compete for as an older person--let's not forget that we tend not to perform as well academically either.

Such that I was so lucky to land perfectly that I don't recommend it for my age group. Most people hate what I do, so it's not egotistical for me to say that. It's more statistical and sensible. And philanthropic.

OH, this was re: Nas' statements:

Know many FP and other PCPs well over 40's and 50's. They keep up and are doing just fine. Damn, I don't know about the genetics and longevity in your family, but sounds like you have to worry.

Re: anesthesia:Working in surgery as and RN, as I have for many years, I know plenty of ologists--anesthesia, and they run their butts off, often working very late hours and such. Don't know what centers you work in, but this is what I've seen over many years. They often have a number of very complex, high-risk cases surging their stress levels. The ones with some of the calmer gigs may do pain clinic--but still. Going through the residency and fellowship to get there is no picnic at all.

There really are no purely easy paths in medicine. And in most professional paths in life, you have to pay your dues. Way it goes. Nothing in healthcare should be marked by ease and mediocrity in my view. It must involve a path of excellence, b/c people's lives and wellbeing depend on it.

Last edited:
BTW, my academic performance has only improved, substantially, with age. Once again, you are generalizing. Things like lack of use, lack of proper nutrition, rest, and exercise, poorly managed stress, and illness are what reduces mental acuity.

Words of wisdom. I see why you are in pharmacy school. :)

Or a lack, thereof! Who in their right mind wants to apply to PHARMACY school? This profession is incredibly disorganized and the organizations supposedly speaking out on our behalf sold their souls to the Devil, i.e., corporate America. I seriously hope REAL medicine, i.e. work done by physicians, doesn't take this turn for the worse or else we are looking at utter chaos. I'm getting out of here and looking for something reasonable to do. Wish me luck!

Well, just for the fun of it, I decided to give some folks a mental image, LOL, of someone that is supposedly "old as dirt," LOL, getting busy with rounds.

A mental picture of me driving around during hospital rounds in a Hoveround.
(You have to try to fill in the physical image of me for yourself. :oldman: - the XY, hahaha.)

This one is kinda sexy. Check out that basket.

forerunner.jpg

RAWR Baby! :kiss:LOL

Well, just for the fun of it, I decided to give some folks a mental image, LOL, of someone that is supposedly "old as dirt," LOL, getting busy with rounds.

A mental picture of me driving around during hospital rounds in a Hoveround.
(You have to try to fill in the physical image of me for yourself. :oldman: - the XY, hahaha.)

This one is kinda sexy. Check out that basket.

forerunner.jpg

RAWR Baby! :kiss:LOL

:laugh:.

Hey listen. I have no animosity towards any of this forum's old people. The OP, you, me.

And I'm not sure if I could ever tune my frequency to yours enough to communicate consistently without strange eddies of meaning spinning off in countercurrent confusion, but I don't have any personal investment in conflict with you as a person. If this is our campfire and we are telling stories and animating archtypal forces with masks and symbols, then I am animating the darker forces within the microcosm of medical culture for specific purposes. Maybe you'd have to ingest heroic doses of psilocybin to get where I'm coming from. idk.

But I'm arguing against certain constructs. Certain rigid and false views of good and evil that manifest as algorithms of coded behavior. Because I think those lead to traps and dead ends.

Nothing I say will ever dissuade someone who will end up in medicine. If I have dissuaded them. They were't going to make it in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users
:laugh:.

Hey listen. I have no animosity towards any of this forum's old people. The OP, you, me.

And I'm not sure if I could ever tune my frequency to yours enough to communicate consistently without strange eddies of meaning spinning off in countercurrent confusion, but I don't have any personal investment in conflict with you as a person. If this is our campfire and we are telling stories and animating archtypal forces with masks and symbols, then I am animating the darker forces within the microcosm of medical culture for specific purposes. Maybe you'd have to ingest heroic doses of psilocybin to get where I'm coming from. idk.

But I'm arguing against certain constructs. Certain rigid and false views of good and evil that manifest as algorithms of coded behavior. Because I think those lead to traps and dead ends.

Nothing I say will ever dissuade someone who will end up in medicine. If I have dissuaded them. They were't going to make it in the first place.

Seriously Nas. You have NO idea how much I love your presence on SDN. I mean, you were busy for a while--w/ school, internship, whatever, and I was really sad. With you, the fun value goes up big time here. :) Not kidding.

Dark forces seem to abound everywhere. I hope to animate some of the light forces--or at the least, help people have a good laugh at my expense.

Come on now. You know that red hoveround was sexy! ;)

Seriously Nas. You have NO idea how much I love your presence on SDN. I mean, you were busy for a while--w/ school, internship, whatever, and I was really sad. With you, the fun value goes up big time here. :) Not kidding.

Dark forces seem to abound everywhere. I hope to animate some of the light forces--or at the least, help people have a good laugh at my expense.

Come on now. You know that red hoveround was sexy! ;)

:). Sweet ride. Bonertown.

:p yea. Too bad it wouldn't make rounds go faster. You could probably have fun knocking over some annoying nurses with it though. ;)