Multiculturalism + the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPokes

Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

3rd year doc student in a counseling psych Ph.D. program here. After doing a placement at the VA at the end of my 2nd year, I realized that I would love to pursue a career in the VA. Also, as a minority group member myself, I have a very strong interest in social justice and multiculturalism. So in thinking about my internship year in the somewhat near future, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of VA's that maybe have some kind of emphasis in multiculturalism? Is this even a thing? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Portland VA started a multicultural and diversity task force a few years back to train/educate providers about various diversity issues. I believe it was started by clinical psych staff (& interns?) and it is still active. FWIW…Portland and the surrounding area is gorgeous for much of the year. I'm sure there are other VAs that would fit your interest, hopefully others can chime in.

Our counseling psych students regularly go to VAs for internship. I pracced at one (not a citizen so couldn't apply to them for internship). In my experience they value diversity training a lot; a ton of LGBT fellowships at VAs popped up after the repeal of DADT.