Multiple acceptance etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JingleChips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I begin, I just want to say that I am truly grateful to be in such a situation. I hope that everyone still waiting to hear back soon receives the same magical phone call / email that I have been so fortunate to have received myself!

After spending most of september interviewing at various schools, I have heard back from 3 so far : 2 acceptances and a high spot on a waitlist. I am unsure where to proceed from here. SDN helped me 2 years ago when I switched career interests and didn't even know what a residency was, and I'm hoping you guys can help me now!

Basically, what is proper etiquette when dealing with multiple acceptances?
Is it "rude" to put in deposits to all acceptances if I am still deciding?

What about if one is a clear cut choice over the other? Do I have anything to lose by withdrawing my acceptance from the second school?

What about when contacting schools that I'm waitlisted at later in the cycle? Is it viewed as rude/pretentious to say something like " hey, ive already received X acceptances to other schools which i am immensely grateful for, but I would turn them all down in a heartbeat for your school"?

When can other schools see where else you're accepted? Can they see if I were to withdraw an acceptance from somewhere?

Theres a lot of questions here, I know. Any and all help would be appreciated! Thank you SDN for everything :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, congratulation you lucky lucky human being!

All I have to say is that if you truly feel you have absolutely nothing to lose from withdrawing, someone out there is going to have everything to gain from it.

Ps: throw me one of those acceptances ;)

Reactions: 5 users
You may hold all the acceptances until April 30th. It may be wise to do so if the financial aid that is offered might influence your decision (the "more expensive" school might not be more expensive after you factor in scholarships that school might offer you).

The schools that make you an offer can see what other schools have made you an offer but I seem to recall that AMCAS does not reveal that information to the schools until sometime in the winter. Later, in the summer, I think, every school you applied to will be able to see where you got an offer and where you matriculated but that doesn't have any impact as it happens so late in the cycle.

Saying "I already got in somewhere but I prefer you.... " seems weird. Like chasing a guy and saying, "I already have a marriage proposal but I'd prefer to marry you." Adcoms are not romcoms.

Edited to correct date for withdrawing one's name from schools that have made an offer of admission.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people are going to try to convince you that you're terrible for doing anything other than dropping down to one acceptance, imo ignore them. If there is 0% chance that you are going to choose one of the schools, sure withdraw. But otherwise put down refundable deposits to hold your spots until you get full financial aid information and have more time to think about your options/attend second looks if you'd like. Don't make the mistake of throwing away an acceptance when you don't have all the information yet and haven't gotten the chance to fully think it out.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah, I wouldn't withdraw until I had the financial aid on the table.

Y

The schools that make you an offer can see what other schools have made you an offer but I seem to recall that AMCAS does not reveal that information to the schools until sometime in the winter.

What is the usefulness/effect of that?

Just wait until you find out the financial aid picture. Then, email all of the schools that you've been accepted to or waitlisted and send them a simple email. "I'd like to inform you I'm withdrawing my application/acceptance. Thank you for the opportunity."

Just wait until you find out the financial aid picture. Then, email all of the schools that you've been accepted to or waitlisted and send them a simple email. "I'd like to inform you I'm withdrawing my application/acceptance. Thank you for the opportunity."
I know it's a typo, but lol...do not send that message to ALL of the schools that you've been accepted to, or you will be a very sad JingleChips! :laugh:

*edit: though it is almost a funnier joke if the implication is 'wait until you see the amount of debt you'll be in no matter what and then withdraw from everywhere because med school is too damn expensive!'

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A school that really wants you might have a different strategy for financial aid offers depending on how many offers you have. If you have only one offer, the school won't have to work very hard to get you to matriculate but if there is going to be come competition, they might need to make you a sweet offer of financial aid to get you to say "yes".

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, it isn't rude, but prudent to hold multiple acceptances until you get financial aid worked out.

Further, when you do release the acceptances that you let go, you will make some other waitlisted student ecstatic. Whether that happens sooner or later, it isn't as if you are actually taking a seat away from anyone.

OP is probably fine if s/he stays put for now. Financial concerns are definitely legitimate. However, it's my opinion that if one is sitting on a ton of acceptances, the most appropriate thing to do is narrow it down to 3-4 schools (tops) where you'd be the happiest and withdraw from the rest. It gives you some flexibility (to decide for $$, fit, etc), but it also frees up spots for others who deserve a shot. What someone might consider a "safety" alternative to their top choice might make somebody else's cycle if they were given a spot that opens up.

Reactions: 4 users
OP is probably fine if s/he stays put for now. Financial concerns are definitely legitimate. However, it's my opinion that if one is sitting on a ton of acceptances, the most appropriate thing to do is narrow it down to 3-4 schools (tops) where you'd be the happiest and withdraw from the rest. It gives you some flexibility (to decide for $$, fit, etc), but it also frees up spots for others who deserve a shot. What someone might consider a "safety" alternative to their top choice might make somebody else's cycle if they were given a spot that opens up.

Too true. I was responding to OP's specific situation. If someone had 12 acceptances and was hoarding them all, that crosses into dingusville. But 2-4 is not too many.

I agree. Keep acceptances that matter, politely decline the rest. Do not give up acceptances to schools that you could potentially consider going to if finances change. From personal experience, it is a complex process, but a little bit of planning and game playing now will save you a ton later!

Members don't see this ad :)
Too true. I was responding to OP's specific situation. If someone had 12 acceptances and was hoarding them all, that crosses into dingusville. But 2-4 is not too many.
I agree. Holding acceptances until one knows the full situation is fine. Holding 10 or more acceptances until May is just rude. This behavior actually makes one less likely to offer $.

I agree. Holding acceptances until one knows the full situation is fine. Holding 10 or more acceptances until May is just rude. This behavior actually makes one less likely to offer $.

A school that really wants you might have a different strategy for financial aid offers depending on how many offers you have. If you have only one offer, the school won't have to work very hard to get you to matriculate but if there is going to be come competition, they might need to make you a sweet offer of financial aid to get you to say "yes".
@LizzyM , what do you think is the cutoff number between recruitment-worthy and rude? Do you judge applicants with 10 or more acceptances? Or 9, or 8, or 7 for that matter?

Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone, especially the ADCOMS! I guess I should do the smart thing and put down deposits for my 2 current schools and any more that I may hear back from in the future. My biggest concern was holding seats away from other applicants, but if having multiple acceptances at the end of everything might result in a scholarship.... then a broke student has to do what a broke student has to do.

Best of luck to everyone! Hope to be freaking out alongside many of you during the next big interview process (ERAS)!!

Reactions: 5 users
@LizzyM , what do you think is the cutoff number between recruitment-worthy and rude? Do you judge applicants with 10 or more acceptances? Or 9, or 8, or 7 for that matter?

6 would be my upper limit. And that would really only be if there are a wide range of factors at play. 4-5 would be much more normal.

it isn't as if you are actually taking a seat away from anyone.
10ce11.jpg

it isn't as if you are actually taking a seat away from anyone.
10ce11.jpg

True, but you are holding up someone else getting to enjoy knowing they have it and being able to shop around for the best financial aid package.

I think up to 4 is probably the maximum for good taste. You could push that barrier, but each addition after that point increases the risk of someone reading it as rude, and if that person is involved with deciding how much aid to offer that could be problematic.

You may hold all the acceptances until May 15th. It may be wise to do so if the financial aid that is offered might influence your decision (the "more expensive" school might not be more expensive after you factor in scholarships that school might offer you).

The schools that make you an offer can see what other schools have made you an offer but I seem to recall that AMCAS does not reveal that information to the schools until sometime in the winter. Later, in the summer, I think, every school you applied to will be able to see where you got an offer and where you matriculated but that doesn't have any impact as it happens so late in the cycle.

Saying "I already got in somewhere but I prefer you.... " seems weird. Like chasing a guy and saying, "I already have a marriage proposal but I'd prefer to marry you." Adcoms are not romcoms.

I thought that the multiple acceptance deadline was April 30?

True, but you are holding up someone else getting to enjoy knowing they have it and being able to shop around for the best financial aid package.

I think up to 4 is probably the maximum for good taste. You could push that barrier, but each addition after that point increases the risk of someone reading it as rude, and if that person is involved with deciding how much aid to offer that could be problematic.
At rochester the dean said someone was holding 19 acceptances last year! Just dont be like them and you won't be rude :p. And yes the date is April 30th this year. Do schools usually tell you finanical aid info before this?

You could also spare someone the heartache of beginning a re-application, the difficulty of not being able to find roommates, the expense of unused housing deposits, the seat in the SMP or post bac that could have gone to someone who needed it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
You could also spare the heartache of beginning a re-application, the difficulty of not being able to find roommates, the expense of paying for housing deposits, the seat in the SMP or post bac that could have gone to someone who needed it...

No arguments here. I got my one acceptance, and since it was at one of the two schools I favored the most, I promptly cancelled all further interviews and withdrew all other applications. Though, that was honestly as much about thrift as courtesy to other applicants. I could have wasted nearly as much on travel expenses and time off work visiting every school I applied to as I could hope to gain from getting a better financial aid deal. (The school that accepted me is already my most affordable option and I managed to trim that cost by 25% by getting into the 3 year program. Counting the saved opportunity cost of getting back into the workforce 1 year sooner, there is no better financial aid package for me. Even if there isn't a dime of scholarship or grant funding available there.)